chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Nice to know the Bronco can crawl out of the parking garage rubble post apocalypse. That's the only situation that I can foresee subjecting a $50k-ish investment to that extreme, tortuous damage. Sure, it can keep on going after that but who wants to drive off from that day with a beat up brand-new vehicle. Seems more prudent to get an old gen Bronco, drop in a V8, lift it and put on 40's then bang on it all day long. Be much happier driving that kind of rig home with battle scars galore.
A Gen 1 Bronco in nice non rusty shape is harder to find and likely more expenses to fix. A nice EB should be treated like it deserves.

I would suggest a cheap POS Jeep TJ

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands MT - 4.70
Badlands AT - 4.46
Badlands SAS 4.7. I’m struggling because I’m a 95% road weekend desert guy. 4.46 is definitely better on the highway.

The only thing a BL stock will miss from the SAS is the 35s, headlock capable rims, and the 4.7 rear end, and I think some lift. Please correct me is I’m wrong. I really want some detail on the BL vs BL with SAS suspension differences.

I’m thinking of the stock BL and 33s. Then, when it’s time, 35s.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Guess you can wait for the new blazer which, in my opinion, Chevy has to make now.
I can’t believe the aftermarket hasn’t came up with a “thumb throttle” for the drive by wire set up. Seems like it should be fairly simple. Not as easy as a bike shifter..

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s easy to get caught up in the hype. This is a vehicle made for everyone in the market and just so happens to have some pretty decent capabilities mixed in with a ton of creature comforts.

If ford was only worried about it wheeling, they’d have used superduty axles, a v8, made the wheelbase somewhere between the 2 and 4 door, lightened the vehicle, Slapped some 37-39”s on it, made it more narrow and brought the belly up a foot while keeping the roof the same height.

This is not replacing the Jeep. Ford obviously isn’t trying to replace the Jeep. But there is so much untapped market share in that Area, they were wise to get into it.
Plus, jeeps have gotten so shitty over the years with no real competition keeping them honest, it will be good for the Jeep guys as well.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing, just evaluating. I completely understand that 95% + of the Broncos purchased with never see anything other than an unpaved, maintained county rood. Maybe not even off the pavement at all. I also understand why it is built the way it is and applaud the engineering and development that has gone into this project. Also, huge props for putting all of this test footage out there.

That being said, I have to evaluate honestly if this is the right vehicle for me. One thing I want to point out... You can never capture the true perspective on an obstacle with a picture or film. It is usually much more difficult than depicted. I have often prepped for a trail by watching vids and thought, "piece of cake. I would run that alone." Then stood at the bottom of an obstacle and thought, "we are going to drive what, where?!?" Perspective is everything. I have 4 wheeled all my life but just started crawling "difficult" trails about three years ago. If you had walked me along some of the trails/obstacles we run now, I would not have believed it. And in three years, I have not broken or damaged anything. (shouldn't type that out loud with a night run pending) :)

Anyway, I live in Colorado and spend at least two weekend days a month on the trail (sometimes 4) to o purposely go where "most" other people can't. We will be doing a night run above treeline tonight. I don't expect the bone stoke Bronco to perform the way my built JKUR does. If I do purchase one, I have every intention of doing some mods to suit my needs too. I owe it to myself to honestly evaluate the capabilities and the ability to upgrade/mod to get to where I need to be. I really don't want to put another 6k into IFS upgrades to do what I want. I have just over a grand in lift and shocks for the JK.

My short point to a very long winded post is that I am not "bashing" and have huge respect for the platform already. Just tying to share my perspective with those that have never put their vehicle in that type of situation.

Ford Bronco Exclusive 6+ Minutes of Bronco Badlands Rock Crawling Action on Rubicon Trail Vnotch

Sponsored

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A Marine is a good tester for durability of anything, ?. If it can be killed or broken a Marine will make it happen.
I’m an old Navy Corpsman, and I can attest the efficiency and thoroughness of the Marine Corps ability to push anything to its limits. I have some HMMWV Stories... (HMMWV... GI Joe talk for Hummer) best time in my life was as a young Heavy Guns Platoon Doc!

I want to see a 5 foot drop test of the bronco!

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m an old Navy Corpsman, and I can attest the efficiency and thoroughness of the Marine Corps ability to push anything to its limits. I have some HMMWV Stories... (HMMWV... GI Joe talk for Hummer) best time in my life was as a young Heavy Guns Platoon Doc!

I was a passenger in a HMMWV out at “The Stumps” and we hit a 6 foot ditch running across the desert at about 30mph. I was thrown from the back (high top pax configuration) through the canvas and face planted on the metal dash and radio bracket. 18 stitches in and around the left eye. Marines can and will break anything, including other Marines.

The Corpsman and Navy Doctor saved my eye.
Thanks for your service DOC, we love you guys.

BabyDoc1012

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra, 2019 Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Doc, I too am a Corpsman, thank you for your service. I have been air wing my entire time and probably share most of the same stories! If there is a will the Marines will find the way!

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Heritage
Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Another of the 2 Door Badlands (auto transmission with 4.46 gear ratio, 33" BFG AT tires, standard wheels, Ford Performance steel modular front bumper).

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Waching these videos make me NOT want to take a shiny new $40,000 plus vehicle to the Rubicon trail.

Maybe if it was your money . . .

The 33'second look big. Maybe I do not need to go full sasquatch
I’m feeling the same way and may go Badlands non squatch with maybe just the high package. Come on build tool, lets go!

Sponsored

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Am I the only one that watches the videos and think "meh"? Kind of just looks like a slightly less capable Jeep.
Plenty of Jeeps for sale, you’re buying a Bronco then because....? Fear of missing out? Like to ride a good band wagon while it’s hot? Making good use of the ignore button from that post and it’s likers. Sheesh.

Last edited:

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All the other jeep drivers cringed while I was rashing wheels and grinding on ledges in my new $30k rubicon. It's not most peoples' cup of tea, but it's fun to me. Lockers are your friend. Glad to see Ford putting them through the paces.

BigAl

Base
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well good to see the Bronco can take a beating if you want to beat on it..

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I watch these videos and think “man I love the way the Bronco looks and the powerplant but maybe im looking to buy the wrong vehicle.”

Not trying to be a dick when I say that but I would rather tow 5k than go 1mph over rocks while killing my vehicle.
Hoping for a tow package to 5k.

The Frisco Kid

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 F-250, 2015 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Haven't read through all the comments, but did anyone else notice all the gear in the back of the 2 door? Looks like they either removed the seats or they are folded flat correctly on this one.
Sponsored