Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just got an amazing offer from CarMax for my used Jetta. Anyone have any experiences with them on the selling end of things? Reliable? Hassle free? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

1Five1 Garage

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend, F350, 4Runner, 52 Ford F1 RatRod
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed sold a 4 year old truck with less the 4K miles on it and they gave my a really good deal. Better then the dealer was going to.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have dealt with carmax twice.

2018, the EPAS on my 2012 Focus with 98K miles died. Needed about 2200 in repairs(dealer estimate). Long time customer at my local dealer, they offered me 2k for it. When I was talking to my Mazda contact, they offered me 2500 for it. I limped it over to carmax and they gave me 4k for it.

I then sold the Mazda to them just before picking up my bronco. Carvana offered 22, vroom 22.5 Carmax offered me 26 for it. Seems like as long as the vehicle is clean and you have title in hand they pay top dollar.

For record, they now have my old Mazda listed for sale for 25,998 haha

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We recently sold the wife's 2013 Focus with 20,000 miles to CarMax, we got a Very good price and it was hassle free, now if my Bronco would get here I'd be a Happy Camper 🍍🍕

Sponsored

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has been more than 10 years, but I went to a CarMax when I lived in Phoenix to see about ditching my wife's old minivan. They quoted me like $1800 for a basic, no frills Dodge minivan that was in pretty good shape. I told them to pound sand and listed it on Craigslist a week later and someone snatched it up for $3800. That gave me a VERY BAD taste in my mouth and wouldn't consider again. All they are willing to pay would be a wholesale cost.......so they can sell at a retail price and make money. If you can hold out and do a private sell, I think you will have more clams in your pocket.

Cartman3132

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It has been more than 10 years, but I went to a CarMax when I lived in Phoenix to see about ditching my wife's old minivan. They quoted me like $1800 for a basic, no frills Dodge minivan that was in pretty good shape. I told them to pound sand and listed it on Craigslist a week later and someone snatched it up for $3800. That gave me a VERY BAD taste in my mouth and wouldn't consider again. All they are willing to pay would be a wholesale cost.......so they can sell at a retail price and make money. If you can hold out and do a private sell, I think you will have more clams in your pocket.
Well ya, that's the business, buy at a lower price and sell at a higher price or they wouldn't exist. Don't know why that would be a sour taste. If you got $3800 they priced it out correctly that they would have to pay for fixes and payroll and still come out ahead.

Sarconus

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sold my Audi to carmax this past weekend. No issues at all, very friendly but did take about 3 hours with online appointment setup but they were really busy so thats normal. Over A+

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can't get any of them to give me trade in that KBB shows, most are 1500 below. I guess I'll deal with the tire kickers and try and get private party for it. Money for Bronco toys.

ldcobb2

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cencalbroncos.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have bought and sold many cars from Carmax over the years. It's the best car buying experience- no nonsense, hassle free. They always gave the best offers on cars I was selling too.

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just got an amazing offer from CarMax for my used Jetta. Anyone have any experiences with them on the selling end of things? Reliable? Hassle free? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!
I've bought three vehicles from CarMax and sold them three. Super easy process. Usually pretty quick and painless too! Happy with the results on both sides.

knownhuman

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I almost ended up working there. Good people.

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well ya, that's the business, buy at a lower price and sell at a higher price or they wouldn't exist. Don't know why that would be a sour taste. If you got $3800 they priced it out correctly that they would have to pay for fixes and payroll and still come out ahead.
Seems obvious........the sour taste is that CarMax was going to give me far less than the market value of my asset. The only thing they could cite that drove that was the ABS lite was on.....a wheel speed sensor that was a few bucks and a bit of time. If you are good with giving up some of that value by driving it in and hitting the CarMax "Easy Button".....more power to you, dude. Then again, if someone has a total POS and all they will ever get is the "Easy Button" price.....CarMax it is.

I get it, it is totally situational, but I feel like they are going to rake a seller hard in the buyer's favor and that is at a disadvantage to the individual trying to sell. I can do a lot of repairs and such myself so I view this more as a situation where they are taking more advantage of consumers than maybe a more knowledgeable and capable individual seller.

EDIT: found a simple misspelling that I corrected.

Last edited:

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I sold two vehicles to CarMax. I was pressed for time both times, which made the decision to use CarMax easy. Yes, you do leave some $$$ on the table oftentimes for the ease of transaction.

In one of those instances records showed there was an open recall on one of those vehicles, even though it had been dealt with. CarMax didn't want to touch the car until I went back to the dealership and had the records corrected.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It also depends on your state. In Maryland, the vehicle buyer had to get a maintenance inspection for registration...this could make many used vehicles unmarketable on the private market. CarMax was the only solution.

In your circumstance, you made more money, but I, personally, would rather sell to a professional entity. If something failed right after purchase, I would feel responsible for a private buyer, but not for a corporate buyer.

That is me though, ymmv.
Sponsored