Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Suzuki Samurai, 03 Ford F250
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

*Edit* Results on page 7!

Link: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/exploring-off-the-shelf-tie-rod-upgrades.42228/page-7

I ordered a spare inner tie rod and once I can pull measurements off it am going to be doing some investigating on heavier duty tie rods that will interchange. Once I have the thread and length specs it will just be a matter of matching up to something else out there. The tapered stud of the outer TRE is somewhat standardized and some mix and matching can be done to make the inner/outer combo the right length.

Some vehicles with notoriously crappy tie rods (looking at you GM trucks) already have inexpensive HD aftermarket tie rods available. Once I find out what the inner tie rod thread size and pitch is, it's game on.

Rockauto is a great resource for looking up part specifications. For example I found that the 11-19 GM truck inner tie rod has a M20x1.5 end at the rack and is 304mm long. A 2004 F150 has a much smaller M16x1.5 thread and is 325mm long. Based on pictures my gut says Bronco is going to be M16, it looks smallish.

Stay tuned for my findings.

Advertisement

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Grr! They cancelled my order, it's on national back order. I'm going to have to pull apart my own Bronco to get the thread size.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Advertisement
OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Why not? I guess I don't understand what heims is or what it means.
They have no business on a road driven vehicle. They get full of grime, wear out, and get sloppy. You can get boots for them to keep them greased but it's still a compromise.

61HrXvGbrBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

They have no business on a road driven vehicle. They get full of grime, wear out, and get sloppy. You can get boots for them to keep them greased but it's still a compromise.

61HrXvGbrBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Gotcha. Thanks for that info.

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Bronco
Badlands
I don't understand why you would steer away from heims? They are far stronger than any tie rod. You can get safety washers for them when ran as a single sheer application. I ordered a spare inner as well and will build a set of tie rods sourcing the parts. I have literally driven thousands of miles on steering that has heim joint ends with 40" tires and hydro assist.

Advertisement

1Five1 Garage

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend, F350, 4Runner, 52 Ford F1 RatRod
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Bronco
Badlands
From the guy who designed the BroncoBuster fix:
#2 please please please reconsider adding any form of Hiem tie rod!!! 3/4 of my failures in initial testing have been using Hiem joints. My own build, and then another manufactures. There is not enough articulation in the Hiem and it’s like an over stretched rubber band! It will break something!! I won’t mention who due to confidentiality in what I do but I personally know of two blown steering racks this last week due to Hiem tie rods.”

Now I’m not a fan of BroncoBuster. I think he’s gouging for both parts, so TIFWIW. I do also think he knows what he’s doing to a degree. I’m adding JKS tie rod sleeves, at $50 per pair. Hopefully they are enough. Still don’t know what I’ll do with the rack.