Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm curious how this works out. I'd be worried about possible bump steer too.
With the tie rods more level I would expect less bump steer not more? It does look like the top of the tire will camber inward a bit more at full compression (I'm ok with that). But if things don't work right I may raise the UCA s frame side mounts up 4+" to match the knuckle.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the tie rods more level I would expect less bump steer not more? It does look like the top of the tire will camber inward a bit more at full compression (I'm ok with that). But if things don't work right I may raise the UCA s frame side mounts up 4+" to match the knuckle.
Hard to say. Independent suspension can get pretty complex.

I've got a few '21+ F150 inners ordered trying to figure out the same thing.
Sweet! Please share the measurements when they come in.

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I talked to Loren about his steering setup on his bronco on 37's. He hasn't had problems with steering just broken front axles. If you drive smart the tie rods will be fine. I am still going to go with heim steering when I do anything on mine. I have no problems running heim. 5 million dollar trophy trucks run heims on their steering setups with 40" tires, 1000hp, and 28 inches of wheel travel without issues. I think alot of people are creating problems that aren't there and making mountains out of mole hills. Loren told me the steering is not the issue on these rigs, its the front axles.

cjindna

Base
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 4 door 2.3l 10spd
Your Bronco Model
Base
I talked to Loren about his steering setup on his bronco on 37's. He hasn't had problems with steering just broken front axles. If you drive smart the tie rods will be fine. I am still going to go with heim steering when I do anything on mine. I have no problems running heim. 5 million dollar trophy trucks run heims on their steering setups with 40" tires, 1000hp, and 28 inches of wheel travel without issues. I think alot of people are creating problems that aren't there and making mountains out of mole hills. Loren told me the steering is not the issue on these rigs, its the front axles.
I am not against spherical rod ends but to be clear, your $5m TT get torn apart and gone through after every single outing. Things get replaced frequently and checked even more frequently. Most have “teams” and sponsored budgets.

TT are extraordinary pieces of equipment but may not be a great place to look to for advice on your daily driver.

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not against spherical rod ends but to be clear, your $5m TT get torn apart and gone through after every single outing. Things get replaced frequently and checked even more frequently. Most have “teams” and sponsored budgets.

TT are extraordinary pieces of equipment but may not be a great place to look to for advice on your daily driver.
I am well aware of what it takes to field a competitive TT. I have raced the Baja 1000 in class 17, I have built 3 Ultra4 cars and raced king of the hammers 5 times, I have built a promod rockcrawler for comeptition, and I have built numerous street driven jeeps. I live near the rubicon and wheel constantly. There is numerous shops and fabricators that run heims on steering on daily driven vehicles. A good quality heim is much stronger and more reliable than a TRE.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a fair take. I've built steering from scratch several times and I'm still here to tell the story so I'm pretty comfortable experimenting.

The big favorite in Jeep custom steering is 80s GM TREs. If RPG had gone that route I'd be a buyer.
Agreed

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am well aware of what it takes to field a competitive TT. I have raced the Baja 1000 in class 17, I have built 3 Ultra4 cars and raced king of the hammers 5 times, I have built a promod rockcrawler for comeptition, and I have built numerous street driven jeeps. I live near the rubicon and wheel constantly. There is numerous shops and fabricators that run heims on steering on daily driven vehicles. A good quality heim is much stronger and more reliable than a TRE.

🤔 I have read about another Ultra4 guy with a Bronc. He has had issues with cv's as well.

😁

What class in Ultra4 did you race??? 4500????

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I raced 4400 class. I am building a new one currently. An ifs jimmys car.

Cool. When I saw your post, I looked through the Ultra4 driver lineup and the closest Travis to Newcastle was a 4500 car. I don't think that list has been updated in a long time. :ROFLMAO:

I have Ultra4 TV and just watched the Rush KY event. not a big turnout. but Vaughn (driver) and Loren (photographer) were there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool. When I saw your post, I looked through the Ultra4 driver lineup and the closest one to Newcastle was a 4500 car. I don't think that list has been updated in a long time.

I have Ultra4 TV and just watched the Rush KY event. not a big turnout. but Vaughn and Loren were there.

I raced king of the hammers and ultra4 from 2008 to 2013. Raced vegas to reno in 2009 and 2012, baja 1000 in 2010, and competed in calrocs in 2007. This is my last Ultra4 car in little sluice on the rubicon before the blew it up. It had the same two heims on the steering the car was built with. And it had alot of abusive miles on it with full hydro steering with speeds over 100mph.

FB_IMG_16510107212901_20220426_151550.jpg

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

🤔 I have read about another Ultra4 guy with a Bronc. He has had issues with cv's as well.

😁

What class in Ultra4 did you race??? 4500????
Whomever broke that CV in the pic could have possibly been avoided with a slight diff drop...mabey 😳

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So my RC knuckles showed up today. Tickled they were only $199 for the pair delivered to my door.

After measuring, I have determined that the tie rod and upper UCA mounts are exactly 4" higher than the OEM one. This is fantastic because since my ride height is about 2" taller than SAS, and my tie rod angle is steep, and UCA is near the joint limit at ride height...by moving these points up 4, I'm only going 2 " beyond OEM in the other direction with the tie rods and UCAs....they will now be nearly flat at my 2" + ride height. This should let the suspension parts move through the full travel with less angle overall and less chance of maxing the joints out.

The RC casting is beefy and they look well made.

I'll install them tomorrow and do some testing of the articulation and geometry.

20220427_203717.jpg

20220427_203745.jpg

20220427_203813.jpg

20220427_203803.jpg

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 12th gen tie rods were delivered today and the Toureg ones are out for delivery. Some facts will be known shortly!

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are a gentleman and a scholar @Tricky Dick . A real People’s Champion. Thanks for putting in all this effort! Can’t wait to see what else you discover.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.