Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The perfect Bronco (IMO)

So I’m loving everything about the new Bronco. However, seeing how small the two door ended up being it has left me feeling that Ford didn’t fully capitalize on the Bronco being a roomier more civilized Jeep.
It’s made a copy of the Jeep. Be it a better one in a lot of aspects and it is longer. But I think it would have separated itself even more if it was even a little more longer. The 5th generation Bronco actually had a really good size wheelbase at 104.7” and was very stable.

Jeep made an extended wheelbase Wrangler unlimited (LJ) from 2004 to 2006 and I think it was the perfect size. It’s shocking to me that they didn’t keep making them. It had a wheelbase of 103.7” and had a nice amount of storage space, handled better and towed better. It reminded me more of a Bronco actually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...p-wrangler-unlimited-lj-is-the-1837831885/amp

If Ford would capitalize on this they would make the perfect size Bronco and the perfect size off-road vehicle. What we have now is great too and they are improved but basically tweaked Jeeps. A 103” to 105” wheelbase Bronco to me would be a more true to itself Bronco. In the process making a more stable and bigger storage spaced Bronco. Really capitalizing on Jeeps short comings.

I really hope Ford considers this in the future. You could even turn it into a nice small pickup with the top removed. Like the concept Jeep made. This would be such a cool trio of Broncos if Ford capitalizes on this.

What do you guys think?

Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” 2KYwswRDB3tmvA12i1ichi_2blNJSvRp72nLH80dWX8

Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” j6mbqrsa379bnldlmm0v7qqk2f93-1554673546
Sponsored

NM_21Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly question. Whats the difference in all these "2dr guys" minds between an extended 2dr and the 4dr. Its the exact same concept. Is a 2dr more manly and that is whats trying to be salvaged? Fold the seats down in the 4dr and you have all the extra room you're looking for

6010Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Funny I had an LJ and a 4Dr JK I really like the J6 especially the blue one.Can't say what it is about the 2Door Bronco,perhaps it is just the retro look and fun it evokes to me.Don"t need a 4dr anymore and am looking forward to the 100" 2 door Bronco purely for fun bombing around and simply enjoying the drive.If Jeep made the J6 I would be an owner.
Matt

OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly question. Whats the difference in all these "2dr guys" minds between an extended 2dr and the 4dr. Its the exact same concept. Is a 2dr more manly and that is whats trying to be salvaged? Fold the seats down in the 4dr and you have all the extra room you're looking for
No nothing to do with manly lol. For me the four door is just too long. I like a nimble vehicle. Having that short wheelbase is much more maneuverable, agile and trail friendly.
I just think a Bronco with a 104” wheelbase would be the perfect size.
I plan on getting a two door and taking out the back seats but I’d ideally like a little more room as I’d like to use it for overlanding but don’t want to give up the agility of a smaller wheelbase. Going with the four door is still on the table for me but the fun factor lessens for me with that long of a vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny I had an LJ and a 4Dr JK I really like the J6 especially the blue one.Can't say what it is about the 2Door Bronco,perhaps it is just the retro look and fun it evokes to me.Don"t need a 4dr anymore and am looking forward to the 100" 2 door Bronco purely for fun bombing around and simply enjoying the drive.If Jeep made the J6 I would be an owner.
Matt
I agree. The 2d is definitely a more fun vehicle. Part of the two door charm is it appeals to purist and just looks more like the Bronco of old.
I do think the four door looks great too but I just don’t want or need all that extra vehicle. You feel the difference when you drive it.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People want what they want, and I generally make it a point not to kink shame.

That said, someone recently justified their decision to get a 2-door because they need maximum cargo space, and with its rear seats removed (leaving just the two front), the total cargo area would be larger than it is in the 4-door with its rear seats still in place.

I didn’t know where to start trying to make sense of that.

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You want Ford to capitalize on a very niche vehicle that was only produced for 3 model years 15 years ago? Sure ... where's the change.org petition?

OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You want Ford to capitalize on a very niche vehicle that was only produced for 3 model years 15 years ago? Sure ... where's the change.org petition?
Yes I do. For all the reasons in that article. The two door as it is is a “niche” vehicle.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The original Bronco had a wheelbase of 92" so the current 2DR's 100" is a pretty healthy stretch from that. I think they nailed the proportions on the 2DR using the EB as inspiration. There was a render running around here that had a 2DR on a 4DR's wheelbase that was really nice tho. Had some good Scout II vibes.

OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The original Bronco had a wheelbase of 92" so the current 2DR's 100" is a pretty healthy stretch from that. I think they nailed the proportions on the 2DR using the EB as inspiration. There was a render running around here that had a 2DR on a 4DR's wheelbase that was really nice tho. Had some good Scout II vibes.
Yeah and Jeeps was like 81” wheelbase. Different times different regulations.

I think it’s a great size for a Jeep competitor and I’m more then happy with it but I’m just saying a little longer and it would maximize on a more utilitarian aspect.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't get this...you're hoping for 4" more of wheelbase? Makes little sense....Bronco give you either 100" or 116"...two pretty good damn choices, both with strengths. I don't see them ever compromising and adding a middle choice.

OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't get this...you're hoping for 4" more of wheelbase? Makes little sense....Bronco give you either 100" or 116"...two pretty good damn choices, both with strengths. I don't see them ever compromising and adding a middle choice.
Probably not. I’m just dreaming here really but I think it would be great. You could definitely turn it into something like the concept Jeep made too. The four to five inch wheel base with a little extra overhang in the back would make for probably around a foot of extra space in the back. I think that would be very helpful and think it would be a great option in a perfect world.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an LJ, it was cool and a better wheelbase than the following 4dr JK off road. Where where it failed, it had 2 doors 😉 There are a handful of purists who will order the standard 2drs from this forum (much higher percentage than will be in the regular runs of future Broncos). There will be hard core off-roaders that want the shortest possible wheelbase, they will always order the 2dr, if available. I would guess 80% or more will want the longest wheelbase 4dr because it has more utility, rides better and isn't a pain in the ass to live with like a 2dr. The 2% of Broncos ordered in 2dr/LWB would have a hard time meeting the development and tooling costs. I have had 3 Broncos and a Jeep LJ, you can say whatever you want about 2 drs, but to me the juice is not worth the squeeze as a daily driver in my application.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While extra storage space in the 2-door would be nice. The wheelbase and overall length were obviously chosen to get the off road angles up to and beyond (with Sasquatch) the Wrangler. Everything else was secondary to those marketing department demands.

The solution would be to make the rear seats easily removable or simply optional in the first place.

OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an LJ, it was cool and a better wheelbase than the following 4dr JK off road. Where where it failed, it had 2 doors 😉 There are a handful of purists who will order the standard 2drs from this forum (much higher percentage than will be in the regular runs of future Broncos). There will be hard core off-roaders that want the shortest possible wheelbase, they will always order the 2dr, if available. I would guess 80% or more will want the longest wheelbase 4dr because it has more utility, rides better and isn't a pain in the ass to live with like a 2dr. The 2% of Broncos ordered in 2dr/LWB would have a hard time meeting the development and tooling costs. I have had 3 Broncos and a Jeep LJ, you can say whatever you want about 2 drs, but to me the juice is not worth the squeeze as a daily driver in my application.
Yeah honestly it would be great as a four door that small but I don’t think it would be applicable or fit right.
It’s less about the juice and more about the maneuverability. Some “hardcore” off-roaders would say the LJ is a better size then as small as possible for on off-roader. Smaller isn’t always better. A wheelbase of around 105” is probably a more ideal wheelbase in most aspects of off-roading then a 96” wheel base Jeep.
Sponsored