niknailor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Who wouldn't like 12 more inches, really?

bronco_cut-jpg.jpg

Quick and dirty stretch. Would look killer in the old EB halfcab config.
It's an interesting idea for sure; harkens back more to the 5th and 4th gen Broncos imo?

Not bad or exceptionally good to me, just different, and more options is more fun for more people!

Honestly they could make a pickup truck version and I'd be sold, just keep the goddamned third pedal and I'll be happy with any variant of 2 door they make :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Halfsmoke00

Base
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” bronco_cut-

I hope they make a 2 door pickup on the 4 door frame. It reminds me of our '91 Ranger reg cab/short bed we had that was awesome on tight trails, I miss it.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” 1612467298731

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok, I’ll admit it. I want an LJ. I’ve been casually looking for the right one while we wait.
I'm in CO too, and will have a '05 LJ Rubicon for sale in a few months!

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a reason I am getting the 4 door, and I would definitely like the idea of an extended 2 door version. That said, I am not surprised that the Bronco 2 door is "small" after all it has a 4" longer wheelbase than the Wrangler (which looks like a slightly inflated powerwheels to me) and the 4 door is 2" shorter wheelbase than the limo length 4 door Wrangler. They moved the goalposts further from the extremes and more towards what I consider optimal in either case. Because of that I had a tough time not getting the 2 door! Believe it or not I am going 4 door for some of the benefits it has off-road (there are a couple) not just the interior space for overlanding/road trips. I think the best case for a stretched 2 door Bronco would be to land the wheelbase between the 2 and 4 door (108") but then we are really starting to split hairs and the production volume would doubtfully pay for it. If it were up to me I would make an extended 2 door pickup on the 4 door wheelbase.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The rock crawlers (of which I am not one) would howl in protest due to the departure angle but I would be just fine with an extra 10" or so of tub length behind the rear wheels of the 2-door and a rear seat delete option.

Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” 1612467298731
Oh damn, you nailed it!

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in CO too, and will have a '05 LJ Rubicon for sale in a few months!
Send me pics & info when it’s time. Most of the rubi’s command too much money for vehicles that old. My coworker has a 04 base LJ she “might” sell soon and there is a dusty sage green one i see around town from time to time.
I’m still coming to grips with the “should I sell my badass Tacoma” question.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There was an article last year about the bronco size compared to it's historical sizes.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33277087/2021-ford-bronco-size-compared-to-old-broncos/

FWIW: i've seen the 4-door bronco in person at the Filson event in Seattle (Overland showcase model and Filson model), it is absolutely HUGE. A few people dropped their pants to drag out their lifted Jeep's and park next to the Broncos (on the curb, because when you go full tool, you can't undo such awesomeness).

People are going to be either pleasantly surprised by the size of Bronco (if they have ample place to park at home) or shocked at it's size (when you have no place to park it or live in the city)

Track width is drastically wider than most trails will have bedded in, and it's bulk is obvious in every dimension. If there wasn't a 2-door option I would have cancelled my reservation as I don't want a vehicle as large as the 4-door. And I certainly don't want a Sasquatch package. Badlands with 33" tires will be drastically more than 90% of Bronco owners will ever need, yet the take-rate on Squatch will be north of 10% i'd wager.

Pics for scale. This lady was pretty short, and the camera is distorting the image a bit.
Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” 20201023_121628

Belt line comes to the shoulders of 6' guys with 37" tires.
Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” 122597228_10207803722447943_8491204263004558069_n

Ford Bronco Extended 2d Bronco “LJ” 20201023_121513

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is a reason I am getting the 4 door, and I would definitely like the idea of an extended 2 door version. That said, I am not surprised that the Bronco 2 door is "small" after all it has a 4" longer wheelbase than the Wrangler (which looks like a slightly inflated powerwheels to me) and the 4 door is 2" shorter wheelbase than the limo length 4 door Wrangler. They moved the goalposts further from the extremes and more towards what I consider optimal in either case. Because of that I had a tough time not getting the 2 door! Believe it or not I am going 4 door for some of the benefits it has off-road (there are a couple) not just the interior space for overlanding/road trips. I think the best case for a stretched 2 door Bronco would be to land the wheelbase between the 2 and 4 door (108") but then we are really starting to split hairs and the production volume would doubtfully pay for it. If it were up to me I would make an extended 2 door pickup on the 4 door wheelbase.
I agree that Ford was very smart with the Bronco’s wheelbase options. The 2 door will definitely do better in the rocks where breakover angle is important, but it’s also a bit longer than the Wrangler for better storage and better for hill climbs. The 4 door is going to be better for the desert running and IMO will be a better platform to build up, the 115” wheelbase is damn near perfect for everything except breakover. But still better than the wrangler’s 118” in that respect.
There was an article last year about the bronco size compared to it's historical sizes.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33277087/2021-ford-bronco-size-compared-to-old-broncos/

FWIW: i've seen the 4-door bronco in person at the Filson event in Seattle (Overland showcase model and Filson model), it is absolutely HUGE. A few people dropped their pants to drag out their lifted Jeep's and park next to the Broncos (on the curb, because when you go full tool, you can't undo such awesomeness).

People are going to be either pleasantly surprised by the size of Bronco (if they have ample place to park at home) or shocked at it's size (when you have no place to park it or live in the city)

Track width is drastically wider than most trails will have bedded in, and it's bulk is obvious in every dimension. If there wasn't a 2-door option I would have cancelled my reservation as I don't want a vehicle as large as the 4-door. And I certainly don't want a Sasquatch package. Badlands with 33" tires will be drastically more than 90% of Bronco owners will ever need, yet the take-rate on Squatch will be north of 10% i'd wager.

Pics for scale. This lady was pretty short, and the camera is distorting the image a bit.
20201023_121628.jpg

122597228_10207803722447943_8491204263004558069_n.jpg

20201023_121513.jpg
Agreed. In person the Bronco is super beefy, it definitely has a way bigger presence than a wrangler. It’s not going to be as good in the super tight trails, but that’s more of a design decision than anything else. The way the wrangler tapers as it goes towards the front is fantastic for super tight trails.... but I just don’t think Ford was going for that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
bronco_cut-jpg.jpg

I hope they make a 2 door pickup on the 4 door frame. It reminds me of our '91 Ranger reg cab/short bed we had that was awesome on tight trails, I miss it.
The wheelbase of the 4dr is within like an inch of the wheelbase of my std cab longbed '85 Ranger which is great on trails... but narrower.

Last edited:

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the new Bronco looked like some of the renderings here, I'd have no interest
in making a move from Jeep to Ford.
It's the throw-back styling of the new Bronc that is the draw for those of us who feel Jeep has changed too much over the years, with their longer bodies, rounded edges and softer look. The new Bronc is more like what some feel is the ideal (or original) 'Jeep look' (Bronco look?). And more people buy a vehicle for its looks & styling than for capability. A small percentage of Jeep owners ever take their rigs off the pavement or drive in snow. It'll be about the same for the Bronc.
I'm sure Ford spent thousands of man-hours just focusing on body length and wheelbase, not even including width and height. They obviously got it right, judging from the interest.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Width is one reason I went non Sasquatch, it's plenty wide already and that 4" might be go-no-go on some trails and my garage. I would have preferred OAW to end at the sheet metal, but I suppose it would have flipped over in a strong gust.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pics of my LJ. This thread sure makes me miss it. I loved that Jeep! I love my current JKUR but it doesn’t have nearly the character of the LJ
Sweet LJ! Jeep needs to bring back the bright silver color.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the 2 door was a bit longer I’d probably go with it since that means it’d have more cargo room. As it stands, it appears to have less cargo room than my current vehicle. That, coupled with my wife’s resistance to the idea of getting a two door, made the choice for me.
Sponsored