Sponsored

Extended Warranties: To buy or not to buy?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As many of us are hoping to have our orders in soon for a fantastic new model year 2021 Bronco (or 2022, whatever), we will be confronted with the dreaded time in vehicle purchasing where the dealership offers you an extended warranty, window etching, undercarriage coatings, etc......

What is the right answer? Are you a fool to get the extended warranty???? What does it cover? Will they actually pay for the repairs????

As always, the devil is in the details and you need to know more about the warranty they are offering you as it's become more and more common that dealerships aren't offering you FORD extended warranties, they are outsourcing your extended warranty out to a company and keeping a cut of the profit for themselves. I would like to present this article which gives some advice on extended warranties and help get everybody's ducks in a row BEFORE you're confronted with such a decisions so you can make the decision that is best for YOU and YOUR finances/desires.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...xtended-warranties-and-the-selling-of-a-scam/

FWIW: I intend to purchase an extended powertrain warranty. I feel it's the first model year (or second?) of a brand new vehicle and the only application that the manual transmission has been put in, so I would like to be covered from the most likely sources of large repairs... Doubly so as I enjoy working on classic cars, not digging through technical boards on how to reprogram a shift point some modern ECU BS.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

These Ford dealers sell Genuine Ford Protect Extended Warranties online for a discount.

Zeigler Ford is highly respected, but check pricing against other Ford dealers. Only buy from a Ford dealer who is setup to sell them online, not one you have to call a salesperson for.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/defa...P6dwmb2Poj4BEZ9gqdIOKdYTBLcevHfxoCZUwQAvD_BwE

https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

And more...
https://www.google.com/search?q=For...-nf-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

Last edited:

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe that if you have a major part fail (engine/transmission/computer) due to it being defective, it will go before the 36K miles BtoB or 60K mile powertrain. Spending more to get insurance that it will fail after that and before whatever the terms of the EW are seems a poor choice of risk mitigation on a dollar basis to me.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will be on the extended warranty bandwagon, pretty much the same reasons as Mr. Astley.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I learned years ago when I bought a Ford SHO that the extended warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Had a clutch break the 2nd year. Not wear out, break. They said "all clutch parts are considered Normal Wear Items - not covered". Then had brake rotors warp. Normal Wear - not covered. 2 years later, more brake rotors - not covered. And so on for the 10 years I owned the Ford. NEVER AGAIN.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I believe that if you have a major part fail (engine/transmission/computer) due to it being defective, it will go before the 36K miles BtoB or 60K mile powertrain. Spending more to get insurance that it will fail after that and before whatever the terms of the EW are seems a poor choice of risk mitigation on a dollar basis to me.
I've hard transmissions go after 60K on a Honda and Chevy. Likewise, its a bet it will not happen but if something major in the engine or electronics goes the warranty has paid for itself.

On the other hand, self insure, betting it will only happen every second or third vehicle and you can pay the repair out of pocket, depending on your financial situation.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've owned many Ford's over the past 30 years...Zeigler Ford is the place for your ESP.

nameuser

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Halfcab
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Experiences with 2 extended warranties:
First was for a GM work van. The paper had GM all over it. Transmission went out and they denied coverage because the insurance was "actually " through a third party who had since gone out of business.

Second: I was young and they had a girl in a short skirt selling it.
( My wife has never let me forget)

Take the cost of the warranty and put it in the stock market.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would say if you purchase one only get Ford ESP, not third party. I won't be purchasing one.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a timing chain stretch at 95k on my last explorer with the 3.5EB. Wish I had an ESP to cover that $3k repair bill. I figure 2k is well worth the cost to prevent any major unexpected repair costs for 8 years. That gets me through my loan plus a few extra years.

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
...I have a Ford warranty on my '15 Edge...but I didn't buy mine until my van was just under 60k miles...why buy it new,when for 36mo..36k miles bumper to bumper.. 50k your drive train is covered...for 1K down and 49.00 a month for 12 months..(48 months or 48K miles).my van is covered for 108k miles and to the end of 2023...with a 100.00 deductible... and it's transferable....I've used it once for changing 20 bad lug nuts..(100.00)...
Sponsored

Last edited: