Sponsored

Extended Warranties: To buy or not to buy?

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2006 Mustang GT, 240k miles, no problems, ESP would not have paid for itself. 2013 F150, 200k miles, pair of brake rotors, and a water pump. ESP would not have paid for itself. I did not get it on my 19 Mustang, 6600 miles, time will tell. Probably won't get it on the Bronco although the 7 spd is a wildcard, for now.
Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buyer be warned. I am not personally familiar with Fords product but I would my money their warranty. I would avoid 3rd party warranties. Planned component warranties are the worst. My best example is a gal that brought her truck in for an abs failure. The pump and modulator where shot. Problem was the abs relay had failed which subsequently caused the other failures. The pump and modulator would have been covered but since the relay caused it the claim was rejected. Relays are not covered.
I will be self insured on my Bronco.

Lexx

Big Bend
First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F450
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since I'll be lifting it and installing 37" or 40" tires, and chipping it, I'm not going to buy an extended warranty. This vehicle is gonna be a pure toy for me and I'm gonna build the heck out of it.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say if you purchase one only get Ford ESP, not third party. I won't be purchasing one.
This.... I was only foolish enough to buy one extended car warranty once . It was a third party company that was heavily researched and cross-shopped by a car enthusiast forum, very similar to this for the Bronco (except it was for the first generation Durango). Interesting enough, members of the forum worked out a group buy, which I happily participated. I recall it was for 7 years/100K miles etc. etc. I think by the third year, that company folded and the warranty was worth nothing.

Funny thing is, I was lucky enough to never need it since I kept this Durango for almost 20 years with no major issues. However, that lesson taught me two things, never buy a 3rd party warranty and never buy an extended warranty period...

What is interesting is we are seeing a common theme with 3rd party warranties. It sounds like these companies come and go which does you no good for something that must be around a few years.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As many of us are hoping to have our orders in soon for a fantastic new model year 2021 Bronco (or 2022, whatever), we will be confronted with the dreaded time in vehicle purchasing where the dealership offers you an extended warranty, window etching, undercarriage coatings, etc......

What is the right answer? Are you a fool to get the extended warranty???? What does it cover? Will they actually pay for the repairs????
The average extended warranty payout is 33% of the purchase price. I don't like those odds. I say put the money in a "repair" fund.

That said, I know of a car salesman that swears by the True Coat®️. ?

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve bought several new cars in my life, bought an extended warranty once, and never used or needed it. There is a reason they trap you in the back room at the end of your sale to talk about these items....you’re in a rush to get out of there finally after shitty negotiations and they know people don’t willingly need or want this stuff.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Only because this is a firts year model will i think about an extended warrantee,my credit union offers one that covers everything with factory parts platium something or other used it only once when the tailgate struts went out on the tundra they just handed me a new pair at the dealer.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Only because this is a firts year model will i think about an extended warrantee,my credit union offers one that covers everything with factory parts platium something or other used it only once when the tailgate struts went out on the tundra they just handed me a new pair at the dealer.
So for $200 worth of struts you paid $2,000 for the extended warranty, No labor included?

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good post. I've never understood getting extended warranties on the types of vehicles people plan to mod (Mustang, trucks who's owners plan to lift or remove dpf).

Sponsored

earmentrout

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150 Raptor,2014 Ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the same plan as you but from Florida. Came up the original price for us,$3065. Too many old people here(me included) for the discount you received being from Washington. Oh well... :)

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had 2 vehicles with extended warranties and both are my current rides.

2015 Mustang: While it is a modified car, the AC has pooped out on it once so it did get taken care of. This is the Ford ESP and I will say I like it very much compared to the one below as I have had no problem taking it to a different dealer for the work.

2012 Xterra: I only had one issue with this car (also ac related). I bought it used and the Nissan dealer I bought it from sold me a 3rd party extended warranty. Not sure if its a Nissan thing but went to have 2 different local dealers look at it and got push back since it was a "third party extended warranty". They advised me I needed to go where I purchased it which I will be honest seems more of an inconvenience so I have learned to live with the annoying sound I get from the valve flap thingy that diverts air from inside to out (and vise versa).

My plan with the Bronco, not purchase one at my dealer, and go with one of the ones that are online (floodfordesp or zeiglerfordesp). You can purchase it after the fact and I'd be able to NOT role it into my note. Did that on the mustang and that is the one thing I wish I could go back and change.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How did you do that? I thought they required a VIN.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did you do that? I thought they required a VIN.
Looks like they added Bronco (but with Bronco Sport so pricing could change).
Ford Bronco Extended Warranties: To buy or not to buy? esp.PNG

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71