Reaction score
Website
www.leonardtownford.com
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can be way more expensive. When I bought my Scat Pack in 2019, I was offered a third party warranty that would have raised my payment by $150 a month on a 72 month loan. That would have ran me $10,800 if I went that route. I ended up with an 8 yr/60K ( I don't drive much ) mile MOPAR plan for $1,950.
That right there is what pisses me off!! There's absolutely zero reason to do that to anyone for any reason ever!!
Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That right there is what pisses me off!! There's absolutely zero reason to do that to anyone for any reason ever!!
Granted that covered the interior if it ever tore, chip protection etc. Still not worth it. Sadly that was the dealer's big guns blazing approach. After I said no and to get the max care plan, they didn't bring up their warranty again. I only used them as a dealer, as the vehicle price OTD was too good to pass up.

NayNay

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leonardtownford.com
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Granted that covered the interior if it ever tore, chip protection etc. Still not worth it. Sadly that was the dealer's big guns blazing approach. After I said no and to get the max care plan, they didn't bring up their warranty again. I only used them as a dealer, as the vehicle price OTD was too good to pass up.
Generally when they go that low on vehicle prices it's because the finance person is waiting to make that money back up for them. Good for you not doing it!!

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Generally when they go that low on vehicle prices it's because the finance person is waiting to make that money back up for them. Good for you not doing it!!
$48K MSRP and paid 42K OTD, including taxes.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
NayNay, a question for which I do not know the answer:

As I recall, you can purchase the ESP anytime while the vehicle is still within the original warranty. Is there a price difference between purchasing ESP at delivery, or purchasing later?

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

NayNay

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leonardtownford.com
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NayNay, a question for which I do not know the answer:

As I recall, you can purchase the ESP anytime while the vehicle is still within the original warranty. Is there a price difference between purchasing ESP at delivery, or purchasing later?
That does depend. When it's new you're at almost no miles. So time and miles drive the cost up. If you're a high mileage driver it maybe more cost effective to do it sooner than later. As a side note you can purchase an ESP even after your factory warranty has expired, but, they do cost more, and options will be less.

NayNay

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leonardtownford.com
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a trick question because it will depend on where you buy from. Some places may try and double costs and others triple, and others won't.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do about 24k miles a yr .....so I will be racking up the miles on my Bronco. For the first time in my life I will need to purchase an extended warranty as I plan on keeping mine 150k at least . I have no clue what they cost or how many miles they cover. Can people chime in on Ford or others extended warrantys costs / miles / terms etc.....
Take whatever money you were going to spend on an extended warranty and put it in a savings account or invest it. Use that account to pay for any repairs that would have been covered by an extended warranty. You'll have more money when that extended warranty would have expired. 150K miles is nothing on a vehicle these days, which is why extended warranties can be purchased. The average payout on an extended warranty over the life of the plan is 33%. (Keep in mind that most extended warranties are designed to exclude a laundry list of "wear and tear" items, have deductibles, and can often be a PITA to use. Plus, they tend to include a long list of items that never break (but it looks impressive). I've never had an extended warranty and never would have benefitted from one--not even on one of my vehicles. I've probably saved enough not buying them to pay for a vehicle.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't normally get ESP's, mainly because I take care of my vehicles and do most if not all of my PM, and if it does need out of warranty repair I just pay for it. If you roll the ESP into the loan the dealer is loving all of the extra interest on top of the initial cost, just pay for it out of pocket and save money if you want one. I am not sure if I will get one for the Bronco or not, but if I do it will be less than 1K and paid up front.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Its a brand new Ford. It’s not like you’re buying a 100k mile German car. Just buy the car, take care of it and fix it if or when something breaks. But I never, ever buy extended warranties. I just don’t get it.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Past vehicle I owned two issues a warranty would of been nice that I did not have.

2,000 miles past the original 3/36k manufacturer warranty the oil high pressure sensor went out, $45 part but repair cost to me was $800 for labor to remove hoses and parts to be able to remove the intake manifold to get to the sensor At $150 an hour labor charges.

85,000 mile the a/c went out. Compressor, expansion valve, pressure reducer, repair cost would of been $3400 if I did it.

A ford tech on this site said the repair book gives him a bunch of hours to remove and replace the hoses and belts just to change the water pump on 2.7L eco boost. Easy job, simple part, but cost customer over $1000 due to labor to remove and replace parts in the way.

I will definitely be getting a Ford warranty with the Bronco. Shop charges will easily run $125 - $150 hr for labor. Call up your local Ford dealer and just ask what the hourly labor charge is and decide if it’s insurance you want.

Not to mention the sensors and electronics in the engine compartment with a hot turbo or turbos near by.

Ford Bronco Extended Warranty costs A7227A0C-7EDE-4F7E-9564-E85FF14D5348

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Past vehicle I owned two issues a warranty would of been nice that I did not have.

2,000 miles past the original 3/36k manufacturer warranty the oil high pressure sensor went out, $45 part but repair cost to me was $800 for labor to remove hoses and parts to be able to remove the intake manifold to get to the sensor At $150 an hour labor charges.

85,000 mile the a/c went out. Compressor, expansion valve, pressure reducer, repair cost would of been $3400 if I did it.

A ford tech on this site said the repair book gives him a bunch of hours to remove and replace the hoses and belts just to change the water pump on 2.7L eco boost. Easy job, simple part, but cost customer over $1000 due to labor to remove and replace parts in the way.

I will definitely be getting a Ford warranty with the Bronco. Shop charges will easily run $125 - $150 hr for labor. Call up your local Ford dealer and just ask what the hourly labor charge is and decide if it’s insurance you want.

Not to mention the sensors and electronics in the engine compartment with a hot turbo or turbos near by.

Ford Bronco Extended Warranty costs A7227A0C-7EDE-4F7E-9564-E85FF14D5348
There are all kinds of assumptions in this comment. You are assuming that the shop was both competent AND honest. Sorry, but that’s a big IF.

Just because a shop told you the car needed a certain repair, and it would cost this much, doesn’t mean the car needed that repair, and even if it did, that it should cost that much.

I seriously doubt the compressor, expansion valve and reducer all went out at the same time.

There is usually a MUCH cheaper way to fix a problem than what a shop tells you.

And a dealer service department??? Pfft. All they do is throw parts at it, they don’t diagnose anything. Then they charge you top dollar for labor and parts. Anybody taking an out of warranty vehicle to the dealer to get fixed is just asking to get ripped off.

Hell, they can’t even patch a tire if it’s within an inch or so of sidewall. They tell you you have to buy a new one. It’s ridiculous. But people who don’t know better just eat it up and pay for it all day everyday.

Or they buy a warranty because they think they will need to cover all these bogus repair bills.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I seriously doubt the compressor, expansion valve and reducer all went out at the same time.
As someone who does 99% of my own work, and has actually myself replaced the entire AC system on my previous C5 Corvette, I can say with confidence that you are not aware of what remediating an AC compressor failure requires. At a *minimum* you also need to replace the orifice tube/in-line filter assembly, and only an incompetent shop would skimp on replacing the receiver/drier and condenser. It's amazing how little left over debris in the system downstream of the compressor is needed to ruin a compressor replacement job.

For the folks that would "never" buy an extended warranty plan, more power to ya. I used to be in the same camp, because I've done most every job a car might require (except an auto tranny rebuild -- I'd would love to attempt one, but have never had the need).

Fast forward to today, and the issue for me isn't the cost of doing the work (which I'd want to do myself anyways), but the cost of the parts -- both electronic modules and mechanical components. And the prices continue to go up as more electronic and mechanical components are "cost optimized" by integrating different functions and/or being configured to lower assembly costs, not to facilitate replacement or to support aftermarket manufacture.

I'm not one that is afraid of "cars being all computers now so you can't work on them." That isn't the case -- they are still mechanical systems, just with a greater number of electronic controls and greater electronics integration. You may need some additional tooling/code readers, but that's just part of having a complete tool chest. So again, the cost of labor doesn't scare me, just the component prices.

A separate matter: For the "I'd never buy an extended warranty" crowd, whether you intend it or not, you come off as belittling or looking down on "the fools" that are "suckered" into extended warranty purchases. Extended warranties are clearly not "right" for you, but that doesn't mean that no one else should consider extended warranties. There are plenty of other people with their own different situations and concerns, and for them balancing the cost of an extended warranty against their wants and needs can legitimately result in the choice to take out such an insurance policy, knowing they may never use it, but having the comfort in knowing it is there.

FWIW, I've owned dozens of vehicles over the decades, and have only purchased two ESPs -- one for a C6 Corvette (after experiencing some expensive repairs on a C5 Corvette that fortunately was still under the original warranty), and my wife's 2018 F-150. In those two cases, I was perfectly comfortable purchasing a specific thing: peace of mind.
Sponsored

Last edited: