First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m hoping someone with knowledge (someone who works at a dealership) will give the 6g Bronco community the “low down “ on extended warranties.
I’ve read where some have already purchased. Would really like the real story on whether they are worth it and what a good deal is. Pros/cons and pitfalls.
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m hoping someone with knowledge (someone who works at a dealership) will give the 6g Bronco community the “low down “ on extended warranties.
I’ve read where some have already purchased. Would really like the real story on whether they are worth it and what a good deal is. Pros/cons and pitfalls.
They hope everyone will buy one. This is a business that thrives on fear.

Why buy one if if helps them instead of you?

Save your money, the fine print is in their favor...

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't have to be at a dealership to have an opinion on warranties.

If warranties are always good buys, no one would offer them because they would always be losing money.

The Bronco comes with:
3 year / 36,000 mile coverage for everything

5 year / 60,000 mile coverage of powertrain

Buying an additional one is betting against Ford. Ford is betting their vehicle lasts longer than the warrant you bought - if so, they score a profit.

If the vehicle breaks down enough times to cover your warranty cost, you made a good investment - although you have a shitty vehicle.

What I don't like about extended warranties is they "run concurrently" with your factory warranty. If I buy 7 years, 100,000 miles - I am really paying for 2 years/40,000 miles on the powertrain (the biggest expense, I'd say).

I've bought extended warranties in the past - and have yet to even break even on repair costs. My F-150 used up $800 of my warranty cost which was way more than that. Ford won that bet.

Admittedly, a friend bought a Dodge Neon and that was so terrible they actually gave it back under the Lemon Law - so crap vehicles are out there.

But I am thinking of taking the cost of a warranty, stick it into a savings/money market/CD and see if I even use that up in the first 7 years/100,000 miles. I'm betting I won't.

YMMV

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Never actually thought about this :

What I don't like about extended warranties is they "run concurrently" with your factory warranty. If I buy 7 years, 100,000 miles - I am paying for 2 years....

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bought an extended warranty o my '08 Cobalt (commuter car) broke about even.

Sponsored

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They hope everyone will buy one. This is a business that thrives on fear.

Why buy one if if helps them instead of you?

Save your money, the fine print is in their favor...
Mine have more than paid for themselves. I always thought they were a waste, until I actually needed them. Complex systems, like the Bronco has, are actually worth considering extended warranties.

Last edited:

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never actually thought about this :

What I don't like about extended warranties is they "run concurrently" with your factory warranty. If I buy 7 years, 100,000 miles - I am paying for 2 years....
It depends on what your original warranty covers and what your extended warranty covers and for how long. Some extended coverages may kick in sooner than others.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although I agree with some of the comments above, I still buy an extended warranty; especially on a newer vehicle like a Bronco where I’ll have a 1st/2nd year of this new gen.

My peace of mind has to be worth something.

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since it's a brand new model, I probably will get one if the coverage/price is reasonable. I'm financing part of my purchase, so I definitely want it under warranty during the finance period. The powertrain and the electronics are the components I worry about. They aren't cheap to fix, especially the electronics. It's one of things I hate buying, but also hope I never have to use.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On a first year vehicle, yes I’ll be buying the longest Ford warranty available. There will be bugs that come out over time, I don’t want to pay for them. There is so much tech in the new trucks: think of when the 12” screen goes out, probably $1500 plus labor to fix. Adaptive cruise control, $2000 plus to repair on the Raptor. Electronic locker fails and the diff has to be disassembled, $2000. Have any major issue out of warranty, basically $1000 plus labor on newer cars and trucks these days. I would consider skipping the warranty on a Base model with less electronics and a less complex drivetrain. Ford makes good vehicles, but there is always a certain percentage of failures.

The warranty is also transferable upon resale, or can be canceled for a pro rated refund if the buyer won’t pony up for it. This should make the truck easier to resell.

The piece of mind is worth it for my own checkbook. I can afford to write the repair check, but I’m more comfortable paying another 5% of my vehicle cost to not worry about it. My history with extended warranties has been in my favor, but all have been diesel vehicles. On my 2009 VW Jetta TDI the $2300 extended warranty paid out $9000 in repairs. On my 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins the $1600 extended warranty paid out $4700. On my 2011 VW Touareg TDI the $1800 extended warranty paid out $5500.

I’m a fleet and asset manager for a large construction company, per my predecessor all of our work trucks are covered under a factory extended warranty for the duration we keep them. We are on the threshold of being big enough to self insure, so I’m reconsidering the practice going forward. At over 100 vehicles the OEM definitely wins, and as a company we can write the check for repairs as necessary. My fleet purchased vehicles are covered by a 5 year/100K powertrain warranty, so the risk is minimal for us.

Buy the factory Ford warranty through Flood Ford ESP and pay about half of what your dealer will try to charge. Here is the current rate sheet. Don’t forget to add the LED bulb and key coverage for pennies. First day rental was a popular option on the Raptor forum. All said and done, the 8 year 100K policy with add ons and $50 deductible will cost me $1955, $0 deductible is $305 more. I’d bet I won’t have 6 warranty events between 36K and 100K miles, so I’ll roll the dice for $50 per visit past 6. I have no affiliation with them, but have purchased a couple personal vehicle warranty‘s through them.

Ford Bronco Extended Warranty For Bronco 30EC7114-6EFB-411F-A66C-22149663931E

Sponsored

KokaneeRanger

Black Diamond
First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 SportTrac, 85 Mustang GT, 12 Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 2007 FX4 Ranger with a 5 speed was the first truck I bought new. Got the 7 year extended warranty. Never needed to use it. Young and dumb.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Buy Ford Protect Premium Care. There are LOTS of aftermarket warranties out there. Some are good, but LOTS are in the business of finding a way NOT to pay claims. Under Ford Premium care probably 90% of the car is covered. Ex. Paint/corrosion not covered. Interior trim and upholstery including dashboard not covered. DESPITE WHAT THE FINANCE GUY WILL TELL YOU, there is NO SUCH THING AS a “BUMPER TO BUMPER” extended warranty. The frustration level increases exponentially on the lower level warranties when you find out after the fact and in a time of need that things aren’t covered. Get the lighting option (an led tail lamp assembly on a Mustang for example is something like $1300 just for the part!) & first day rental option (if you are going to need a rental immediately when goes into the shop). You can negotiate on price and customize your deductible and length of coverage. As others have said, you can also buy online and save some money but you can’t bundle it into your monthly payment this way.

some of these know it all’s and “I’ll never buy an extended warranty, it’s a rip off” types may find themselves crying the blues when something goes wrong out of warranty and they get an estimate in the thousands for what they THINK should be a small repair. Modern vehicles are complicated and it doesn’t take an engine or trans failure to have things start getting real expensive real quick.

they’ll probably just blame the manufacturer for “not standing behind their product” long after the warranty has expired. Claiming its bad customer service or say “I’ll never buy another one if they don’t take care of this.” Guess what, at some point the factory warranty expires. At some point repairing the vehicle does become YOUR responsibility & not the manufacturer’s problem anymore. Extended warranty is a way to protect yourself. Without it you are rolling the dice.

it’s like life insurance. You are betting that you are going to die and the insurance company is betting that you won’t. If you don’t die it could be considered a waste of money, but if something goes wrong it was a good investment (for your family anyway).

I had a customer the other day ask me incredulously if a repair was really his responsibility? “Is that something that I have to pay for? Why isn’t Ford going to stand behind their product? I didn’t do anything to cause this problem, it must have been a factory defect”. Well sir the manufacturer is not responsible mostly because your vehicle is almost 7 years old has 120,000 miles. It’s your baby at this point. The factory warranty covers defects for 3 years or 36k whichever comes first, not forever! & “But I’m still making payments” doesn’t mean your warranty gets any longer I’m afraid.

You don’t have to buy an extended warranty. You might get lucky and never need it. If you aren’t going to keep the vehicle longer than 3/36 (or 5/60 Powertrain) then it’s probably not be a good investment. You CAN get ripped off buying one if you pay too much or get wonky terms. It pays to be an informed consumer.

But if you have a history of or are planning to keep the vehicle long term it’s not a bad idea. I had a customer a few weeks back who had his transmission overhauled under Ford warranty on his 2008 Mustang Bullitt! A 13 year old car still under warranty! I’d say he got his money’s worth out of that policy!

Feel free to gamble and skip it as long as you are willing to take a little personal responsibility for your decision in the event of an unexpected failure down the road. If you are unwilling to or can’t afford to take on that kind of risk then I’d say get the warranty. Just make sure you get the best price you can on the warranty (again they are negotiable) and make sure the time AND mileage fit your realistic needs.

Sorry for the long post
/rant off

Last edited:

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You may also want to consider that you can purchase it anytime until your warranty expires. They usually don’t tell you that when the finance guy is giving you the shake down.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My 2007 FX4 Ranger with a 5 speed was the first truck I bought new. Got the 7 year extended warranty. Never needed to use it. Young and dumb.
you werent dumb. buying an extended warranty on a proven reliable model that the manufacturer had already had decades to work the kinks out on like the old ranger may seem foolish now especially given the benefit of hindsight and knowing now that nothing broke.

But comparing that situation to buying an all new model from the ground up in its first year of production (the new Bronco) is simply not the same thing.

I deal with broken cars and extended warranty claims every day and those customers may not be happy that their car is broken, but they are certainly happy that they have coverage and aren’t having to pay for the repairs.
Sponsored