Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

do you guys buy gap insurance through your insurance company or your dealership? I buy gap insurance for all my vehicles just in case but only ever bought it through the dealership.
If you finance through State Farm, they include gap for free. At least they did on our last 2 vehicles.
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
do you guys buy gap insurance through your insurance company or your dealership? I buy gap insurance for all my vehicles just in case but only ever bought it through the dealership.
Gap coverage is usually purchased through the finance company. If you finance through the dealership then they would sell the gap coverage. If you finance through another bank then you buy it from them. If leasing you’d buy gap from Ford. I can’t believe gap is even optional on leases these days.

I put down a significant enough downpayment (20-30%) I probably won’t be upside down on the loan at any point. I did buy gap on my Tacoma lease even with a significant down payment.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A 6 year/150K mile Ford ESP is around $2400 on the Bronco. It is a Ford in its first year of production. I sorta believe that's about a reasonable figure for failures in that time.

I will add. For many years, I did not buy extended service plans because a new engine was $3k or a new screen was $1K. Now, a new engine is $10k and a new transmission is similar. At the end upper end of the "loss" potential, you've seen a definite creep upwards.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They they can't fix the POS before the warranty is up I do not intend to be stuck with the pile much longer than I have to.

I have never owned a vehicle with any kind of a warranty anyway... and have never bought a new one before either.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have two questions maybe some I can clear up for me?

1) if a 7 yr extended warranty is really only like 2 years (5 + 2 = 7 example)...if you wait until you've had the cars for a few years before you buy it, how does that affect the math? Say I wait 3 years and Then buy it?

2) do these extend warranties have loopholes for off-road vehicles? If I take the Bronco off road and it breaks (or weekends apart that then breaks later), Will there be some claws that says the parts aren't covered because I was hard on them, etc?

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have two questions maybe some I can clear up for me?

1) if a 7 yr extended warranty is really only like 2 years (5 + 2 = 7 example)...if you wait until you've had the cars for a few years before you buy it, how does that affect the math? Say I wait 3 years and Then buy it?

2) do these extend warranties have loopholes for off-road vehicles? If I take the Bronco off road and it breaks (or weekends apart that then breaks later), Will there be some claws that says the parts aren't covered because I was hard on them, etc?
1: yes, 7 years total powertrain coverage, so only+2 over the factory 5/60. You can but it within the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty for usually $100 more than under 1/12.

2: There is a good argument that Ford is selling the Bronco as an offroad vehicle, like a Raptor. I haven’t read horror stories about the warranties getting denied on stock trucks on the Raptor forum. If you mod it you own it.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
It doesn't matter when you buy it. The Ford protect ESP term starts from delivery date. So if you buy a 7 yr/125k power train today at delivery, it will expire on July 7th 2028 or 125k miles, whichever occur first. If you buy the same 7/125k warranty July 7th 2025, it still goes back to today for the years and/or mileage. You'll just pay a little less if you buy it within the first year or 12k miles.

As mentioned on here somewhere earlier, google "Flood Ford ESP" or "Ziegler Ford Protect esp". A lot of guys on the Ranger forum either bought the Ford protect ESP through one of them or used it to get their dealer to lower the price. It is a huge savings!! You save a little if you buy in the first 12 months or 12k miles, but you have until before your 3 yr 36k warranty expires both of which have been mentioned.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting.. seems unhonest to sell someone a 7-year warranty and you're really only getting 4 years.

I like the idea of getting it cheaper, but I also like the idea of seeing how dependable it is before I drop $3k on a warranty.

gmille

Black Diamond
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc sierra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's a hilarious audio clip floating around where a guy answers the phone & after a minute claims to be a police detective investigating a homicide scene, and begins to question the young female caller on the extent of her relationship with the deceased. He appears to speak to another nearby officer & says he's got a 'person of interest' on the line and says to have HQ trace the call. Of course the girl is going bananas pretty quick.

I assume that clip is a few years old because 90% of the time now you're conversing with an AI computer & can't tell the difference. In fact Many of those calls devolve into the guy hitting on the female caller & trying to get her number.
I have heard this guy, tooo funny! I think it was a few or several years ago.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting.. seems unhonest to sell someone a 7-year warranty and you're really only getting 4 years.

I like the idea of getting it cheaper, but I also like the idea of seeing how dependable it is before I drop $3k on a warranty.
I agree with the last part. I rarely keep my vehicles past the powertrain warranty period, so I never opt for the ESP. However you shouldn't be paying $3,000k for a warranty in the first place. a 7yr/100K Premium care (which is as close to bumper to bumper as you can get) MSRP is $3,165 but through Ziegler it's $1,740, the price only goes up $100 if you wait and buy it after the 12,000 mile/1 year but before the 3 yr 36,000 expires. Flood Ford is probably the same. Even printing that quote and taking it to dealer with you should give you significant leverage. People with a base Bronco shouldn't be buying the premium care, but should be looking at Extra Care, Base Care or Powertrain care based on their equipment level. Dealer finance departments will gladly up sell you coverage that you don't need. I personally would just wait and pay the extra $100 to make sure I want to keep the vehicle.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I bought my first-ever factory extended warranty when I bought my second-ever domestic automobile (Dodge Durango). Turns out that decision was worth every penny. :(

Would I buy an extended warranty on a Toyota or Honda? Nope.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first time I got pitched an extended warranty, a new radio was $500, a new engine was $4,500, and a new transmission was $3,000.

A new 2.7 is $10k, a new 8" touchscreen is $1,500, and a new transmission is $6k.

Buying a 6yr/150,000 ESP locks in my failures at $2,400. Could it be worth $1,500 in that time, sure. The expected loss at the higher end is much more than the $2,400.

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Individually a warranty can make sense if your finances can’t handle a failure. Collectively people who pay for them are setting their money on fire.
Sponsored