Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My friend recently had a bad experience with a Chrysler extended warranty on a powertrain where they did not honor it because there was language that said he had to have it inspected annually by the dealership. His bad for not abiding by the terms, their bad by putting that kind of stuff in there as a "gotcha". I've always heard there is a lot of profit (and commission) in warranties, must be so for a reason.
I requested to cancel all of the contracts. We will see , 6 to 8 weeks to get refund
Sponsored

RiskyB

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have purchased many vehicles through the years, some I purchased extended warranties and some I didn't. Historically, I was ahead on the warranty game... until now. The A/C went out on my 18 Sierra at just under 60K miles... the $3400 repair is all mine. I will be researching the warranties mentioned in this thread and I will be purchasing an extended warranty for my Bronco.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My friend recently had a bad experience with a Chrysler extended warranty on a powertrain where they did not honor it because there was language that said he had to have it inspected annually by the dealership. His bad for not abiding by the terms, their bad by putting that kind of stuff in there as a "gotcha". I've always heard there is a lot of profit (and commission) in warranties, must be so for a reason.
Someone should be able to quickly answer whether or not the FordProtect OEM extended warranties include such "gotcha" language... anyone? Bueller?

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have purchased many vehicles through the years, some I purchased extended warranties and some I didn't. Historically, I was ahead on the warranty game... until now. The A/C went out on my 18 Sierra at just under 60K miles... the $3400 repair is all mine. I will be researching the warranties mentioned in this thread and I will be purchasing an extended warranty for my Bronco.
Or look at it this way. You are still ahead, because on those you didn't buy a warranty and didn't need it, you "saved" $1000 each. So if you did that with just 3, your repair now costs what you didn't spend on the warranties.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not worth it if you read closely all off road activity is excluded from service contract and road hazard
Thats a point that I havent seen answered. Is off road use excluded from warranty for a vehicle expressly sold to go "into the Wild"? If i have the vehicle lifted with shims or shocks, will it be covered, or blamed as a reason for the problem? It reportedly says " lift me" in the wheel well. What if I do?

Ive heard it said that any dealer installed part is covered, does that mean all modifications have to be Ford Performance parts, by a Ford dealer? How many dealers know how?

Sponsored

RJC

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats a point that I havent seen answered. Is off road use excluded from warranty for a vehicle expressly sold to go "into the Wild"? If i have the vehicle lifted with shims or shocks, will it be covered, or blamed as a reason for the problem? It reportedly says " lift me" in the wheel well. What if I do?

Ive heard it said that any dealer installed part is covered, does that mean all modifications have to be Ford Performance parts, by a Ford dealer? How many dealers know how?
All valid points and my feeling is I don't trust the provider from not using any off the exclusions not to payout.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Buy Ford Protect Premium Care. There are LOTS of aftermarket warranties out there. Some are good, but LOTS are in the business of finding a way NOT to pay claims. Under Ford Premium care probably 90% of the car is covered. Ex. Paint/corrosion not covered. Interior trim and upholstery including dashboard not covered. DESPITE WHAT THE FINANCE GUY WILL TELL YOU, there is NO SUCH THING AS a “BUMPER TO BUMPER” extended warranty. The frustration level increases exponentially on the lower level warranties when you find out after the fact and in a time of need that things aren’t covered. Get the lighting option (an led tail lamp assembly on a Mustang for example is something like $1300 just for the part!) & first day rental option (if you are going to need a rental immediately when goes into the shop). You can negotiate on price and customize your deductible and length of coverage. As others have said, you can also buy online and save some money but you can’t bundle it into your monthly payment this way.

some of these know it all’s and “I’ll never buy an extended warranty, it’s a rip off” types may find themselves crying the blues when something goes wrong out of warranty and they get an estimate in the thousands for what they THINK should be a small repair. Modern vehicles are complicated and it doesn’t take an engine or trans failure to have things start getting real expensive real quick.

they’ll probably just blame the manufacturer for “not standing behind their product” long after the warranty has expired. Claiming its bad customer service or say “I’ll never buy another one if they don’t take care of this.” Guess what, at some point the factory warranty expires. At some point repairing the vehicle does become YOUR responsibility & not the manufacturer’s problem anymore. Extended warranty is a way to protect yourself. Without it you are rolling the dice.

it’s like life insurance. You are betting that you are going to die and the insurance company is betting that you won’t. If you don’t die it could be considered a waste of money, but if something goes wrong it was a good investment (for your family anyway).

I had a customer the other day ask me incredulously if a repair was really his responsibility? “Is that something that I have to pay for? Why isn’t Ford going to stand behind their product? I didn’t do anything to cause this problem, it must have been a factory defect”. Well sir the manufacturer is not responsible mostly because your vehicle is almost 7 years old has 120,000 miles. It’s your baby at this point. The factory warranty covers defects for 3 years or 36k whichever comes first, not forever! & “But I’m still making payments” doesn’t mean your warranty gets any longer I’m afraid.

You don’t have to buy an extended warranty. You might get lucky and never need it. If you aren’t going to keep the vehicle longer than 3/36 (or 5/60 Powertrain) then it’s probably not be a good investment. You CAN get ripped off buying one if you pay too much or get wonky terms. It pays to be an informed consumer.

But if you have a history of or are planning to keep the vehicle long term it’s not a bad idea. I had a customer a few weeks back who had his transmission overhauled under Ford warranty on his 2008 Mustang Bullitt! A 13 year old car still under warranty! I’d say he got his money’s worth out of that policy!

Feel free to gamble and skip it as long as you are willing to take a little personal responsibility for your decision in the event of an unexpected failure down the road. If you are unwilling to or can’t afford to take on that kind of risk then I’d say get the warranty. Just make sure you get the best price you can on the warranty (again they are negotiable) and make sure the time AND mileage fit your realistic needs.

Sorry for the long post
/rant off
Don't apologize. I worked for Nissan and back up much of what you're saying though I'd like to add that extended service contacts ("warranties") can be discounted. Similar to MSRP for the vehicle.

I completely agree that the know it alls in this thread are the same ones that end up saying a company doesn't stand by their product when their vehiclebreaks down out of warranty. I've seen it and it was hard to not roll my eyes wheneverything had been clearly explained to them. Keep in mind that the employees aren't any different in that they too need reliable transportation and may consider an extended service contract. The service department doesn't just give us free parts and labor. So we had experience both as their seller and the buyer of ESCs.

The odd thing is that the best case scenario after buying an ESC is that you never need to use it. It's there as a bet against the company and your luck with that particular vehicle.

My advice is to make sure to shop around dealerships for the best price for what ESC you want. The second part is to make sure that the mileage rate lines up with the years covered. They'll often try to stick you with, say, a 20,000 miles per year but if you only drive 10-12k a year, make certain to have them reconfigure it so that it fits you and it didn't expire prematurely or you overpay.

I'm still undecided on getting one myself even though I'm generally pro-ESC.

Ricks73eb

First Edition
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 bronco, 77f100, 90 mustang, 05 f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My dealer sells all new vehicles with a 7 year 100k warranty. Part of the reason I went with them.

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't usually keep a vehicle long enough to be out of warranty. But, the Bronco may be my last vehicle (if I ever get it), so I will get a Ford ESP. I've only had one other vehicle with an extended warranty. It was through a third-party provider and that experience was less than spectacular.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't apologize. I worked for Nissan and back up much of what you're saying though I'd like to add that extended service contacts ("warranties") can be discounted. Similar to MSRP for the vehicle.

I completely agree that the know it alls in this thread are the same ones that end up saying a company doesn't stand by their product when their vehiclebreaks down out of warranty. I've seen it and it was hard to not roll my eyes wheneverything had been clearly explained to them. Keep in mind that the employees aren't any different in that they too need reliable transportation and may consider an extended service contract. The service department doesn't just give us free parts and labor. So we had experience both as their seller and the buyer of ESCs.

The odd thing is that the best case scenario after buying an ESC is that you never need to use it. It's there as a bet against the company and your luck with that particular vehicle.

My advice is to make sure to shop around dealerships for the best price for what ESC you want. The second part is to make sure that the mileage rate lines up with the years covered. They'll often try to stick you with, say, a 20,000 miles per year but if you only drive 10-12k a year, make certain to have them reconfigure it so that it fits you and it didn't expire prematurely or you overpay.

I'm still undecided on getting one myself even though I'm generally pro-ESC.
I've generally experienced Ford as honoring ESC repairs over the years, and usually glad I bought them. I've heard neighborhood shops frustrated with the 3rd party plans that put them through red tape and hoops to pay out. So when I buy ESC (now "Ford Protect") I generally plan on getting all major and most minor service done at the dealer so they're responsible for the vehicle. And I'm sure that's the point of ESC language, to use the Ford dealers for regular maintenance. And, they can be sure that regular customer-paid maintenance has been done properly, and recorded in the system.

Sponsored

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My dealer sells all new vehicles with a 7 year 100k warranty. Part of the reason I went with them.
nothing in life is free. These types of warranties are frequently just an advertising ploy. Sounds like it worked in your case.

these free warranties are often full of loopholes and such to avoid paying claims. Ex. ALL service work must be performed with selling dealer and on schedule.

read the fine print.

also usually have lots of exclusions and exceptions that would have been covered on a real warranty.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Someone should be able to quickly answer whether or not the FordProtect OEM extended warranties include such "gotcha" language... anyone? Bueller?
no gotchas on Ford Protect that I can think of. It’s legit. Either the part is covered on the policy or it isn’t.

They occasionally send out an inspector on a large claim but rarely. Occasionally might ask for proof oil change receipts if your engine blows up and looks sludged etc. normal stuff.

Ricks73eb

First Edition
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 bronco, 77f100, 90 mustang, 05 f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
nothing in life is free. These types of warranties are frequently just an advertising ploy. Sounds like it worked in your case.

these free warranties are often full of loopholes and such to avoid paying claims. Ex. ALL service work must be performed with selling dealer and on schedule.

read the fine print.

also usually have lots of exclusions and exceptions that would have been covered on a real warranty.
No doubt but there's a laundry list of reasons I went with them. So if it's included why not. I'm paying less than msrp and the guy always returns my calls when I leave a message.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer price matched the flood ford online price on the 8/100 Ford premiumcare with $200 deductible. Good to know I only owe $200 if anything breaks between now and 2030.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
You may also want to consider that you can purchase it anytime until your warranty expires. They usually don’t tell you that when the finance guy is giving you the shake down.
Yep, the finance guy was really pushing me on the extended warranty, despite me telling him upfront I'm not interested in any extras. He got it down to $1,600 and I still said no. Other than that the transaction was fast and easy and they are truly nice guys.
Sponsored