Extended warranty - good value buy?

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I get the actuary peice if extended warranty and that most catastrophic failures should happen within the standard warranty, but they my dealer offered full bumper to bumper 180 month unlimited miles for 2800. Thoughts on this ? Value buy?
Sponsored

Reactions: Zus

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like a decent price for what is offered. I’d be wary of the fine print in that offer and find out what exactly is covered, and what exactly would cause denial of coverage. also, what is the deductible?

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Seems like a decent price for what is offered. I’d be wary of the fine print in that offer and find out what exactly is covered, and what exactly would cause denial of coverage. also, what is the deductible?
And who is the warranter? Can't be Ford.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
15 year/unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty?? I had no idea such a thing existed. For $2800 that's a no brainer even if you only plan to keep it half that amount of time. Look at the price of replacing say the headlights alone.

As was stated I'd go over the fine print thoroughly to make sure there aren't any restrictions or stipulations. And research the provider as well.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
15 year/unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty?? I had no idea such a thing existed. For $2800 that's a no brainer even if you only plan to keep it half that amount of time. Look at the price of replacing say the headlights alone.
MOPAR used to offer a lifetime factory warranty, until a few years ago when they realized what a poor business plan that was.

Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford esps cap off at 8 years in maximum duration. So this would have to be with an after mkt company and would be essentially worthless and of little value to you.

We never offered after mkt warranties as they were rip offs. Dealers use them because there is HUGE markups in them over manufacturer backed warranties. However, many of these companies don't stick around long and more importantly make it very difficult if not impossible to get things covered by them. Too each their own, but I'd avoid them and we never sold them as we thought it was a huge disservice to our customers to do so.

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford esps cap off at 8 years in maximum duration. So this would have to be with an after mkt company and would be essentially worthless and of little value to you.
Careful, your cell phone won't stop ringing if you DON'T buy it now. :ROFLMAO:

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The Ford ESP Premium Protect (add on the lights coverage, FOB coverage and first day rental) seems like a solid product and it's backed by Ford (not some third party warranty company that might not be in business in a year or two). Maxes out at 8 years, I think. Check out Zeigler Ford and Flood Ford for their online sales of the exact same Ford ESP warranty. They both offer prices just over actual cost and both are very well regarded here on B6G. Zeigler gives a discount for paying in full and was well over a $1k cheaper than my dealer.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Ford ESP Premium Protect (add on the lights coverage, FOB coverage and first day rental) seems like a solid product and it's backed by Ford (not some third party warranty company that might not be in business in a year or two). Maxes out at 8 years, I think. Check out Zeigler Ford and Flood Ford for their online sales of the exact same Ford ESP warranty. They both offer prices just over actual cost and both are very well regarded here on B6G. Zeigler gives a discount for paying in full and was well over a $1k cheaper than my dealer.
Good to know for future reference. (y)

Reactions: Zus

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
NO, NO, and NO again. Do NOT buy extended warranty, for the following reasons

1. You have a 3 year / 36000 bump to bump already now

2. You can buy any extended at a later date, as long as it is before the bump to bump is still valid

3. If there are real issues with this first wave of gen 6, are you going to keep it? So why buy insurance for a period that is beyond the first 3 years when you don't even know yet

4. These usually start depreciating from the first day you purchase them, not when the bump to bump expires, so they begin losing value immediately

5. nobody will ever pay you anything for these, whether as trade-in or private party sale

Its a free country, so make your choice, but the above are my reasons to wait and see. If I do buy an extended, it will be at about 2.5 years and/or 30000 miles when I decide.

till then the new horse in the stable has to prove itself worthy!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No deductible and can cancel at anytime to have it prorated

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

2. You can buy any extended at a later date, as long as it is before the bump to bump is still valid

3. If there are real issues with this first wave of gen 6, are you going to keep it? So why buy insurance for a period that is beyond the first 3 years when you don't even know yet

4. These usually start depreciating from the first day you purchase them, not when the bump to bump expires, so they begin losing value immediately

5. nobody will ever pay you anything for these, whether as trade-in or private party sale

Its a free country, so make your choice, but the above are my reasons to wait and see. If I do buy an extended, it will be at about 2.5 years and/or 30000 miles when I decide.

This. with Ford ESP.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

As was stated I'd go over the fine print thoroughly to make sure there aren't any restrictions or stipulations. And research the provider as well.
Most extended warranties exclude ”light bulbs” so forget getting the LED’s covered. I would guess this 15 year unlimited mileage aftermarket warranty excludes any high tech stuff.

We never offered after mkt warranties as they were rip offs. Dealers use them because there is HUGE markups in them over manufacturer backed warranties. However, many of these companies don't stick around long and more importantly make it very difficult if not impossible to get things covered by them. Too each their own, but I'd avoid them and we never sold them as we thought it was a huge disservice to our customers to do so.
Very good points about aftermarket warranties being crap. They like to challenge repairs, send out inspectors, slow pay the shops, etc.

Great advise here.

I purchased a 8/100K from Flood Ford with LED, key, and first day rental options for $1955 when my Bronco had 14 miles on it. Sure, you can buy it later, but a price increase was advertised and the price goes up $100 after 12K miles or 1 year. I saved about $280 by buying early and before the price increase. First day rental is in place immediately for any warranty repairs, even those covered under the 3/36. It is pro rated for cancellation, so if the truck is a POS I’ll cash out later. If these trucks have major issues I’ll lose far more than the cost of this warranty on resale, so not a concern for me. They are transferrable for $75 to a subsequent private party owner, or you can cancel for the pro rated amount. I got an extra $1500 for my Raptor because the new owner wanted to keep the extended warranty, they paid me the pro rated refund amount extra.

Insurance is buying piece of mind. I purchased my Bronco with the intention of keeping it long term, so I bought the warranty accordingly. With all the high tech crap on these trucks the warranty could easily pay for itself in 1-2 repairs.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree- if your vehicle is a lemon your going to know within the warranty period. In that case you are likely to trade it in on another Bronco or a different vehicle. If you are financing your vehicle, that warranty cost has an interest cost to it. From my life experience - good vehicles within the warranty period equate to good vehicles for the long haul.

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
MOPAR used to offer a lifetime factory warranty, until a few years ago when they realized what a poor business plan that was.
Yup. They are even buying out some of those. $3k rebate on a new vehicle if you'll trade in your lifetime warrantied one. I think they figured out they were pouring cold water on sales, since people didn't want to let go of their lifetime warrantied vehicles at the same rate as 'normal' vehicles.

I worked in the insurance/warranty/underwriting world and do not buy warranties. I know the pay out rates and how deeply stacked against you the odds are. You always pay for passing your risk to someone else. Insurance is for losses you cannot afford, like losing your house or needing a kidney. If I can't fix my vehicle without being financially destroyed, I can't afford that vehicle. The best 'warranty' is money in a secure account and that's real 'peace of mind'. Nobody can deny your claim, you can do whatever modifications you want without invalidating it, you can pick whatever shop you want or do the work yourself, etc.
Sponsored