Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m guessing that aftermarket lifts and parts will void these extended warranty plans?
You would have to talk to your dealer or whoever you buy the plan from. Making modifications can definitely end up in voiding certain repairs. Example: If you put an aftermarket lift in and a suspension part breaks, the repair would more than likely not be under warranty. Aftermarket tunes are the same way.
Sponsored

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never purchased an extended warranty, so this might be a stupid question. I've always bought used and usually trade vehicles often enough that I've never thought it was something I needed.
Since I plan on keeping the Bronco for a long time, it's a new vehicle, and a first year model, I'm thinking it might be a good idea.
So it seems like you wouldn't want to purchase the extended warranty at the time you are purchasing the vehicle. Unless the extended warranty doesn't kick in until the factory warranty runs out.
If they run concurrently, and I purchase a 5 year/60K mile warranty, aren't I wasting 3 years of that since the factory warranty is also in effect?

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never purchased an extended warranty, so this might be a stupid question. I've always bought used and usually trade vehicles often enough that I've never thought it was something I needed.
Since I plan on keeping the Bronco for a long time, it's a new vehicle, and a first year model, I'm thinking it might be a good idea.
So it seems like you wouldn't want to purchase the extended warranty at the time you are purchasing the vehicle. Unless the extended warranty doesn't kick in until the factory warranty runs out.
If they run concurrently, and I purchase a 5 year/60K mile warranty, aren't I wasting 3 years of that since the factory warranty is also in effect?
Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP) are available for new, certified pre-owned and used vehicles. For a vehicle to be eligible for NEW PremiumCare, ExtraCare, BaseCare and PowertrainCare, the vehicle must within 5 months/ 5,000 miles of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, whichever comes first.

Warranties are sold using the "in=service" date. The in-service date is usually the date the new vehicle was delivered to the original owner of the vehicle. The in-service date is also considered the start date of an extended service warranty for a new vehicle.

So when you select a specific warranty, say 8-year w/150,000miles, it goes off of the in-service date. (the date you purchased your vehicle)

You can wait to purchase the Ford ESP, however you'll want to purchase at least 5 months/5,000miles before your 3yr/36k factory warranty runs out.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Flood Ford and Ziegler have always been the cheapest for a factory ESP.

I don't buy extended warranties but if I do, it's because I want to keep the vehicle long term, I wait until I am up on the 3/36 mark...it will cost $100 more BUT...a lot can happen before you get to the 3/36 mark, totalled, rolled, stolen, you hate it, your wife hates it, your wife had quadruplets and you spiral into minvan hell, its unreliable and you want something else, you lost your testosterone and bought a Prius, your wife got it in the divorce, your wife's boyfriend got it in the divorce, you upgraded to a Raptor, etc.

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Depends on where you live. Try and get a discounted extended warranty in Florida. In Florida, extended warranties are considered insurance and are NOT discountable and everyone pays the same price, for the same product.

TOTALBRO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not only are they negotiable, with every manufacturer I can think of, you can buy from a separate authorized plan seller entirely (most dealers or some online plan-only sellers like Zeigler) after you purchase your ride. In the Jeep world, Tom Winkels in Kalamazoo, MI is the guy to beat (and I've actually never heard of anybody beating him). If anybody knows who "the man" in the Ford world is, please do let me know.

I would strongly advise you to do some more research on each plan in consideration, and ask for plan details and a sample of the plan contract before ordering. A lot of people tend to be confused on the difference between the types of coverage available. I'll describe the differences below...

First, you have actual extended warranties. These typically are only available with Certified Pre-Owned vehicles or as a result of recall-type campaigns. These tend to be the most comprehensive of coverages, actually extending out the factory coverage, and what most people think they're buying with when they think of "extended warranty plans".

Then there are manufacturer-backed extended service contracts, which is what we're talking about here. In Ford's case, it's called Ford Protect Extended Service Plan. Note that no manufacturer actually calls these "warranties", because they are legally distinct, and your rights and coverages are not the same. In some cases, they can actually cover more than the factory warranties; Mopar's Maximum Care is a great example of this, in that it covers some random wear-and-tear suspension items like shocks, boots, bushings, bearings, etc. Generally speaking, however, your coverages are less than what the factory warranty will cover. As mentioned above, the pricing on these can absolutely be negotiated (but check your local laws). Note that they all have different terms on when you need to buy (stated in terms of mileage or ownership period).

Then there are a plethora of other third party options, which include internet plans like CarShield, CarMax's MaxCare plans, and every dealership-specific plan sold and honored only by one dealership. You'll find a lot of really bad advice/information on the internet from people who don't know the difference and may have gotten burned in the past by purchasing one of these while thinking or expecting they were getting one of the two prior options. I've never used one of these plans myself, just because protections tend to be more limited. That said, I know plenty of people who've been satisfied with their experiences. Doug DeMuro's Range Rover saga is an example of this (he had CarMax's MaxCare coverage).

As a final note, keep in mind that warranty/service contract laws vary by state, so it's important to find information relevant to your state specifically. Just make sure you're really reading the fine print and know what you're actually buying. There are plenty of dealers who will shamelessly imply you're buying a manufacturer-backed plan when that is not actually the case. Aside from idiots screaming "I know my rights! Magnuson-Moss!!", I find that the vast majority of people disappointed with their "extended warranties" tend to be those who sadly didn't know what they were actually buying.

Last edited:

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Flood Ford and Ziegler have always been the cheapest for a factory ESP.

I don't buy extended warranties but if I do, it's because I want to keep the vehicle long term, I wait until I am up on the 3/36 mark...it will cost $100 more BUT...a lot can happen before you get to the 3/36 mark, totalled, rolled, stolen, you hate it, your wife hates it, your wife had quadruplets and you spiral into minvan hell, its unreliable and you want something else, you lost your testosterone and bought a Prius, your wife got it in the divorce, your wife's boyfriend got it in the divorce, you upgraded to a Raptor, etc.
You can can get a pro-rated refund if you sell or trade-in your vehicle.
Sponsored