Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Extended warranty - Yea or Nae ?

Having not owned a Ford product since my first used vehicle (1979 LTD) and NEVER having purchased an extra warranty, I am wondering about the general consensus. I did not buy one for the Rubi and have not regretted that decision.

I am leaning toward not buying one for the Bronco either (for various reasons).

I found this article about said conundrum. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair/get-an-extended-warranty-for-your-car/#:~:text=Vehicle service contracts, often referred to as extended,financial risk for a set period of time.
Sponsored

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 1995 EB bronco and 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not sure yet i guess it depends on what engine and what the standard warranty is

topher3134

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Wherever the Army takes me, middle east right now
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 Superduty FX4, 2012 F150 FX4, 2007 Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Since I am looking at a buying a first year bronco, I will get one. I bought one for my 2019 F250 and it was the first time I ever have. Being how expensive diesel motors are and all the emissions crap on them, I figured why not.

Yo_itsjimbo

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Depends on the standard warranty. I rarely keep a vehicle around long enough to even worry about it though.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Probably not. Most of the truly expensive components are covered under drivetrain, and those will generally show their mettle before 60k miles. Everything else...Well...That's what forums are for.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would way rather invest the money.

OP
OP
ExJPR

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends on the standard warranty. I rarely keep a vehicle around long enough to even worry about it though.
I always keep mine a looong time. I did read in the attached article that the extended's cost is negotiable. May be a possibility. I also (as has been stated before) run doorless and topless through all weather as my daily driver and waterproofness of all interior electronics will be important. No issues on my JP's over 2 decades of use.

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I fully agree. I got my Chevy Malibu College Car right now.... if it wasn’t for extended waranty I would have had to replace a premature worn out Hub of both of my front wheels. $400 and change for each part. On a collage budget that hurts, versus it wrapped into a payment.

OP
OP
ExJPR

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It might possibly all come down to cost vs expected issues. I know we can not control future issues but we can negotiate a better cost.

OP
OP
ExJPR

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Article on said negotiation. Will read it now. http://www.realcartips.com/warranties/160-how-to-negotiate-extended-warranty.shtml#:~:text=How to Negotiate the Best Price for an,the vehicle, but before you sign any paperwork. A couple tips from article: "...it's important to note that dealers will markup the price by as much as 200%, so you should ALWAYS negotiate the price of an extended warranty. ...Remember, you don't have to buy the extended warranty at the same time you purchase the car. Take your time comparison shopping. "

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Probably not. Most of the truly expensive components are covered under drivetrain, and those will generally show their mettle before 60k miles. Everything else...Well...That's what forums are for.
60k miles... did Ford upgrade their standard warranty? I've always seen 3 yrs. / 36k miles.. I'm getting ripped off!

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Article on said negotiation. Will read it now. http://www.realcartips.com/warranties/160-how-to-negotiate-extended-warranty.shtml#:~:text=How to Negotiate the Best Price for an,the vehicle, but before you sign any paperwork. A couple tips from article: "...it's important to note that dealers will markup the price by as much as 200%, so you should ALWAYS negotiate the price of an extended warranty. ...Remember, you don't have to buy the extended warranty at the same time you purchase the car. Take your time comparison shopping. "
Maybe @ChrispyKC can chime in on this... as I've never purchased the extended warranty. Is it true that they mark-up the price on those? and possibly as much as 200%? Sounds like a ripoff.

OP
OP
ExJPR

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands