First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We’ve been a Honda/Acura family the past 21 years so I’ve got to learn a new mfg. I don’t buy Extended Warranties, but buying this Bronco and all the electronics that are imbedded in the vehicle has me thinking about the purchase of the Extended Warranty......like 8 yrs/120k miles. For those of you familiar with Ford products, are there dealers selling discounted Ford extended warranties?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We’ve been a Honda/Acura family the past 21 years so I’ve got to learn a new mfg. I don’t buy Extended Warranties, but buying this Bronco and all the electronics that are imbedded in the vehicle has me thinking about the purchase of the Extended Warranty......like 8 yrs/120k miles. For those of you familiar with Ford products, are there dealers selling discounted Ford extended warranties?

I never bought extended warranty until a 2016.5 Volvo XC60 taught me an expensive lesson. It dropped a valve at 55K miles and wrecked the engine. That model engine had only been in use 1.5 years and there were not a lot of donors. Had to get a block from Sweden. $12K out of pocket to get it running. 1.5 years old but too many miles for the warranty. Now I get the extended warranty.

BroncoHooves

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sometimes dealers will offer a "Lifetime very limited warranty", "Lifetime Oil changes* (up to X quarts), car wash", etc. Provided you never move and provided the dealer ownership/management never changes (happens all the time), and they will have a ton of fine print and legalities that will get them off the hook to make it to where they don't have to honor it.

I always stay as far away as I can when I see such things advertised.

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it might be a good idea but they usually don’t cover the whole car and they also have deductibles.

I’ve only owned one Ford. It was a 2016 Edge and had nothing but problems. Water leaked in when it rained, cooled seats stopped working, engine misfires and constant check engine lights, transmission solenoid went bad, etc. I finally traded it in for a Honda Passport when it had an oil leak that wasn’t coming from the filter or drain plug. I was done taking it to the dealer.

I actually had vowed I wouldn’t buy another Ford again but this Bronco might make me change my mind.
I sure love the Badlands 2 door with Sasquatch.

OP
OP
LarryZiegler

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sometimes dealers will offer a "Lifetime very limited warranty", "Lifetime Oil changes* (up to X quarts), car wash", etc. Provided you never move and provided the dealer ownership/management never changes (happens all the time), and they will have a ton of fine print and legalities that will get them off the hook to make it to where they don't have to honor it.

I always stay as far away as I can when I see such things advertised.
I’m not referring to those extended maintenance programs, just the run of the mill factory backed extended warranty. When you sit down with The F&I rep at the Dealership upon purchase, they will try and sell you the extended warranty for $2,500-$3,000 depending on the length of the plan. There is so much markup that With a Honda product you can buy the extended warranty from a dealership quoting and selling it off their website at roughly a 40% discount as long as you buy it within the 1st 6,000 miles of ownership, then the pricing tends to increase

Sponsored
OP
OP
LarryZiegler

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I never bought extended warranty until a 2016.5 Volvo XC60 taught me an expensive lesson. It dropped a valve at 55K miles and wrecked the engine. That model engine had only been in use 1.5 years and there were not a lot of donors. Had to get a block from Sweden. $12K out of pocket to get it running. 1.5 years old but too many miles for the warranty. Now I get the extended warranty.
Unlike 20 years ago, when the only electronic item in a car was the ECM computer that controlled the engine, so many more things in a car are electronically controlled along with the addition of monitor screens you almost have to pay attention to the purchase of an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car for awhile

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Ford Extended Warranties are worth the peace of mind *if* you get a good deal. Unless you have a great relationship with your dealer and they'll cut you a break, walk off the lot with the standard 3/36 B2B.

There are Ford Dealers all over the country who sell the Ford warranty product at just a bit over cost. You can buy it until the end of your original warranty period (or later in many cases, though an inspection might be necessary).

I've purchased two from Broadway Ford Truck Sales in St. Louis and they were fantastic to deal with.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've also been a Honda/Acura owner forever so I've never really concerned myself with the extended warranties.

I've heard good things about Ford and while this vehicle is new, the engine and transmission are not. That being said, I am also concerned.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've also been a Honda/Acura owner forever so I've never really concerned myself with the extended warranties.

I've heard good things about Ford and while this vehicle is new, the engine and transmission are not. That being said, I am also concerned.
I'm a born-in-Blue Ford guy, but I've never been let down.

My '08 Fusion served me with nary an issue through 150k until we traded it in on my wife's Explorer earlier this year. My '13 Flex - which will soldier on until my Bronco 4dr Big Bend is delivered - is a hair over 180k with only a set of new rear wheel bearings to speak of.

I've also had an Explorer, 3 Focuses, and a gen II Escape that all went well over 100,000 without issue before being traded in.

Snag a good deal on the Ford extended warranty for the peace of mind, but there shouldn't be too much to worry about here.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are you going to be doing with your Bronco? On road only? Off road frequently? How long are you going to keep this vehicle? Miles per year? Main vehicle or toy?

BTB is 3/36, powertrain 5/60. Restraint and emission can vary but generally 5/60 to 8/80. You can buy Ford ESP at time of purchase but will still get good pricing if you buy while vehicle is still under 3/36. You do not have to buy ESP when you take delivery. ESP is like any other warranty, great to have if something big blows up but a waste if it never gets used. Oh, get a low deductible too.

Either way, read the exclusions and if you think you're going to fall into that category, save your $$ for repairs.

OP
OP
LarryZiegler

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What are you going to be doing with your Bronco? On road only? Off road frequently? How long are you going to keep this vehicle? Miles per year? Main vehicle or toy?

BTB is 3/36, powertrain 5/60. Restraint and emission can vary but generally 5/60 to 8/80. You can buy Ford ESP at time of purchase but will still get good pricing if you buy while vehicle is still under 3/36. You do not have to buy ESP when you take delivery. ESP is like any other warranty, great to have if something big blows up but a waste if it never gets used. Oh, get a low deductible too.

Either way, read the exclusions and if you think you're going to fall into that category, save your $$ for repairs.
The reason I am going to buy the extended warranty is that we will be keeping this vehicle for a very long time. In general warranties are a bad financial purchase, but The cost of repairing/replacing electronics, such as the monitor on the dash can be $2,500 (using the cost of my 2013 Honda Pilot’s Nav display monitor) or more. In general, diagnostic charges in determining the solving of an electronic issue can also be expensive, as dealer labor charges here in Calif run roughly $150/hr. I’ll hedge my bet with the warranty. I did find the name of the Ford dealer selling Ford Ext Warranties at a discounted cost. Typically the price is stepped according to mileage at time of purchase of warranty (up to an odometer of under 36,000 miles.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reason I am going to buy the extended warranty is that we will be keeping this vehicle for a very long time. In general warranties are a bad financial purchase, but The cost of repairing/replacing electronics, such as the monitor on the dash can be $2,500 (using the cost of my 2013 Honda Pilot’s Nav display monitor) or more. In general, diagnostic charges in determining the solving of an electronic issue can also be expensive, as dealer labor charges here in Calif run roughly $150/hr. I’ll hedge my bet with the warranty. I did find the name of the Ford dealer selling Ford Ext Warranties at a discounted cost. Typically the price is stepped according to mileage at time of purchase of warranty (up to an odometer of under 36,000 miles.
I mostly agree. Make sure you are getting a comprehensive plan with a low deductible and that it is Ford, not some other plan "just as good as Ford". Don't let them BS you into believing these are bumper to bumper. Generally, Ford's premium plan is as close to factory as you will get but don't assume so. If you are concerned about the high dollar electronics have them run a base part number against ESP coverage directory. That way there are no surprise for anyone when something breaks.

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
...This is my 2 cents..I have a 2015 Edge...got it brand new...It's never been back to the dealership..except for oil changes and brakes (at 64k)...I got my extended warranty when the mileage was at 59,950 mile...new car warranty is 5 years or 60k miles for drive train.. My extended warranty is from Ford Motor...98% of the vehicle is covered...plus I have an exterior light add on...My cost was 1k down and 79.00 a month for twelve months....with a 100.00 deductible...and transferable ..for 48k miles or 48 months..which has me covered until Dec,2023...or 108k miles,which ever comes first...My mileage now is 67k...IMO..not too bad..

OP
OP
LarryZiegler

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I mostly agree. Make sure you are getting a comprehensive plan with a low deductible and that it is Ford, not some other plan "just as good as Ford". Don't let them BS you into believing these are bumper to bumper. Generally, Ford's premium plan is as close to factory as you will get but don't assume so. If you are concerned about the high dollar electronics have them run a base part number against ESP coverage directory. That way there are no surprise for anyone when something breaks.
In the case of the Bronco, it’s only a Ford Premium Care plan and nothing else. I’ll be paying cash for the cost, but I’ll see how deductible options can lower the cost, but it needs make sense financially. I don’t mind bearing a deductible option of $50, $100, or $200 as those costs are chump change.
Sponsored