Sponsored

Exterior mounting (rotopax / jerry cans / maxtraxs) for soft top ?

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Scrap those plastic cans.

Get one of these,
Jerry Can - 10 Liter, Metal, Green NATO Spec, Made in Europe (roverparts.com)
If you order one get a spare gasket,
Jerry Can Seal - Fits 10 And 20 Liter Jerry Cans (roverparts.com)
I've been using these cans for years and still never needed to replace a gasket but I have them in case, they're a $3 item!

The 2.6 gallon size is easy to manage and depending on your driving could give you 30-50 mile contingency fuel. The big 5 gal is too heavy and difficult to manage.

1641407685570.png

Use with the spout of a giggle syphon.
1641407942071.png

1641408037038.png

These tanks seal 100% no fumes escape. I used to keep the tiny 1.3 gal behind the seat in my p/u and it never leaked a hint of fumes. I still bring it on road trips inside my vehicle and use it to fill my motorcycle with a giggle syphon, super easy no spillage!
I quit carrying 5 gallon cans a while ago too. Went down to the 1.75/2 gal rotos. Definitely easier to manage. Nothing to test the old arms like holding up a 5 gallon can in the air when you need to refill, lol.
Sponsored

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I quit carrying 5 gallon cans a while ago too. Went down to the 1.75/2 gal rotos. Definitely easier to manage. Nothing to test the old arms like holding up a 5 gallon can in the air when you need to refill, lol.
I know!

I only use those two in my reply.

The little 1.6 gal is nice just in case size. It's small and seals 100% so can be carried inside, not supposed to but I've been doing it for years. Never spilled or even a hint of fumes. These are the real deal!

1.6 gal should give the bronco 20-25 mile range.

I always fill my tank at what ever station is nearest the turn off. I've never run out of gas.

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just carry the cans around empty to look cool. My brain hurts thinking how much that 1.6 gallon container costs

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just carry the cans around empty to look cool. My brain hurts thinking how much that 1.6 gallon container costs
You just paid full msrp on the Bronco but are worried about spending extra $10 for a reliable jerry can??

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That Euro can design hasn't changed in decades. I have one that is vintage and it still works. The spout is old school all metal with flexible metal tubing.

Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope! Here's a pic to show how it sits.

Ford Bronco Exterior mounting (rotopax / jerry cans / maxtraxs) for soft top ? AC862250-E2DA-47D2-BF24-EBC87025D581
So your third/middle brake light had to go. Did you delete it or relocate it?

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Deleted. Not required in California.

I looked this up because I would like to do the same. It's a federal law that requires the 3rd brake light.

Sponsored

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I looked this up because I would like to do the same. It's a federal law that requires the 3rd brake light.
Could you cite the law for us?

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Could you cite the law for us?
Ok ok, I'll just skip to the part where I explain the law you're probably referring to requires MANUFACTURERS to produce vehicles with three brake lights (center high mount stop light), but this doesn't require drivers to have it equipped/working unless their state requires it. California does not.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Deleted. Not required in California.
True in Texas also. I failed an inspection because my 3rd brake light was burned out on my Jeep. Removed the light completely & passed. Has to work if present, but does not have to be present to pass.

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good morning! Anyone have good ideas for mounting rotopax/jerry cans and maxtraxs externally on a 4 dr with a soft top.

So far, I've found an ez mount on the tire for the rotopax that I may be able to modify and the intelligent mount 2 from Smittybilt that I'd need to modify to fit on the tire as well. I'd prefer to not use the trailer hitch cargo basket because of departure angles.

Please let me know if you've found good solutions.

When Gobi and Garvin get a little further along in the year, there will likely be more options. I'd like to, at least, get some extra water outside the cab at this point though so I can fit all the other stuff I'm hauling.

Thanks!
This is the solution I am going with - https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6RV.html

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok ok, I'll just skip to the part where I explain the law you're probably referring to requires MANUFACTURERS to produce vehicles with three brake lights (center high mount stop light), but this doesn't require drivers to have it equipped/working unless their state requires it. California does not.
penalty code #4015 must have 3rd brake light working/visible in CA . I got a ticket $130 - also officer mentioned can not carry any fuel container on outside of vehicle on public roads highway ect
Sponsored