Sponsored

F-150 Production Cut Due to Chip Shortage (will it also apply to the 6G?)

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

100%, shared 2.7 engine, shared 10 speed transmission, most likley shared or similar engine, climate and various system controllers.

Watch for impacts to the Ranger as another predictor.
This was the conversation I had with my dealer two weeks ago during ordering. I really wanted a 2.7L, but there are so many delay or late availability items already and the looming chip issue cemented my decision to downgrade to a 2.3L.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife waited something like an additional 5 months for her Telluride due to CoVID related supply chain problems and this was before it got bad, and way before the chip shortage.

IMPO. Unequivocally yes, we will continue to see delays due to supply chain or workforce disruptions. This is out of Ford’s ability to control.

Again, IMPO the chip shortages will come and go, it’s just a delay in production allocation. They will get back on schedule eventually.

The real challenge is predictable manufacturing, such as telling Bronco consumers when Ford will be able to actually deliver. That’s a slippery thing these days. It’s a recipe that “should work” if Ford follows the cook book, unfortunately Covid keeps changing the rules. So buckle up and expect disruption & delays.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This was the conversation I had with my dealer two weeks ago during ordering. I really wanted a 2.7L, but there are so many delay or late availability items already and the looming chip issue cemented my decision to downgrade to a 2.3L.
2.3 will not really help, it is shared with the Ranger. This is an across the board issue, there will be disruptions to most vehicles.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3 will not really help, it is shared with the Ranger. This is an across the board issue, there will be disruptions to most vehicles.
Let's see how Ford manages it long term given that the 2.7 is an existing delay item and we don't know how truly bad that will be. I'm still convinced the chip issue is more acute with the 2.7s being in huge demand.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Let's see how Ford manages it long term given that the 2.7 is an existing delay item and we don't know how truly bad that will be. I'm still convinced the chip issue is more acute with the 2.7s being in huge demand.
Its affecting all brands and models, this article is 6 days old and does not reflect the latest Ford & GM cutbacks.
The impact of the crisis varies by manufacturer. General Motors said it has so far faced no closures or slowdowns — but Toyota, Volkswagen, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Subaru and Nissan have all made cutbacks in the U.S. or other parts of the world. Stellantis, the new industry giant formed by the merger of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and France’s PSA Group, currently has two North American plants closed.

Ford has been one of the hardest hit.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/au...hortage-worsens-samsung-warns-spread-n1256178

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see guys don't want to talk about this topic, but it's real. I have to present in a meeting next week at work about the overall economic impact of this silicone shortage in everything from laptops to cars. This was a short turn around and is a red flag meeting for my industry.

What my folks have been researching now for a couple of weeks is exactly why? There are several theories, which is all boring and speculative, but the prediction is the impact may last for a few months due to backlog.

Can't get this current economic situation over fast enough!

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The automakers wern't paying attention to this. They didn't expect sales to return as quickly as they did and didn't stock up when they had the chance. With so many working from home now, that put a high demand on computers leaving automakers short. It's gonna cost them big time now.