Sponsored

F150, Ford, Rachael Maddow Dont get mad, give it a watch [Off-Topic / Political posts will be deleted - Administration]

How many who viewed this actually watched the video?

• Total voters

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The gas stations can be a hundred miles or more apart. But fuel range of cars can be 300 to 700 miles. Electric is usually no more than 30. So no rural America isn't going to buy land and then stick charging stations in every 30 miles when in the middle of no where. Isn't going to happen. Hybrid/fuel with the hybrid generating its power from braking eyc is a much better answer for middle and rural America. Ev is the next overhyped failure like ong powered vehicles that were going to take over for fuel. Maybe not in big cities or on the coasts. But they have little value in rural and middle america.
These aren't golfcarts. Tesla's all have 350+ mile range, the Mach-E has 300+, several others at 250+ and again this is just the beginning. Electric vehicles have barely even been "mainstream" for5 years now. Most manufacturers just now are starting to offer electric vehicles, but this 30 mile range you're pulling out of your ass is a ridiculous understatement. Do you believe technology is stagnant? That no improvements are being made and will continue to be made in the design and manufacture of electric vehicles and batteries?

The automobile will never replace the horse. Horses are cheaper, easier to maintain, faster, can go farther, and where can I even fuel this automobile. Surely this invention is nothing more than a wild curiosity.
Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats about the caliber of the green arguments, yes.

Renewables provide 19.8%... intermittently. Supplemented with fossil fuels when the sun doesn’t shine and the wind doesn’t blow. Which is typically when energy demands are the highest. So....
Originally you said electric vehicles are a euphemism for coal powered vehicles and that many if not most are run from coal generated electricity. That is simply wrong and with each passing year there will be less and less coal in our energy grid and more renewables.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
So please just leave our politics off the table for 10 minutes and watch this report by Racheal Maddow. Whether you like her or not she reported on a company we all support and love here. It made alot of good points and I hope will help center us as distinctly car centric country. Alot of us already know everything she says, but some dont and may be suprised. So please give this video a chance for a minute.

In all fairness I dont always find her reports or style great and she can have a tone I dont prefer. But honesty and fairness is important in journalism and she often shows it.

Remember this is about Ford, our future, and our country.
This is fantastically awesome!
Very well researched. Just a logical and fact based well put together argument.
I had no idea that Maddow owned 2 F-150s. Certainly does not fit the "stereotype". But everybody loves the F-150.

Can't wait for the reveal in 15 minutes. Keeping my wallet far away though, because I will be tempted to put down a $100 deposit.

Last edited:

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the irony here is that electric vehicles are absolutely terrible for the environment and we don’t have the infrastructure to support the current trends as is. Texas was a great example - it’s incredibly hard to ramp up production of electricity and we don’t have the technological means to store electricity on a large scale.

Ford (and everyone else) is pushing electric vehicles because the money is in electric (artificially). Between tax credits for manufacturers and consumers, it’s easy money. Ford gets to charge more and it comes out of the coffers instead of the end users pocket. Ford makes more money. Yay Ford.

The tech is really cool. Can it ever replace petrol engines without major advancements in power generation and storage? No.

I tried to buy a Mach E.. I’m not exactly a hater, but let’s keep it real here. Electric vehicles are more of a stopgap measure being embraced for tax credits. A novelty for the middle class, as it were. You’ll never support a nation full of electric vehicles with green power, either. You likely won’t see it in your lifetime.. the battery tech just doesn’t exist.
I have a rebuttal for EVERY part of your argument:
1. EVs typically plug in at night, when the demand goes down by 70-80% but the plants have to run 24/7. Plugging in at night is the perfect load balancing/capacity utilization opportunity to leverage EXISTING plants.
2. The tax credits/military protection and work on roads that have to be repaired for massive tanker trucks with flammable fuel being delivered to 40K gas stations inefficiently far exceed government aid to electric cars.
3. We are likely getting our last ICE car in the Bronco. The next one will be a plug in, because it would cost far less to own.
4. Battery tech is on a exponential curve, like processor power in laptops from the 90s to today. Costs for the same battery are already down 80% in 10 years.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't always care for her but that was well done. She is right...getting an electric F-150 right will go farther in making electric vehicles more mainstream than any other vehicle out there.

Interesting observation on the hybrid...people want it because it gives you more capability. Oh, and you happen to get less fuel usage which is another way of saying more range. I have no idea why folks didn't make a hybrid truck with usable 120V power.

Sponsored

Bronconheimer

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And how much greener does it need to be and how long to offset the footprint of infrastructure and generation manufacturing, not even considering the monumental energy needed to mine, process, and ship the resources to produce the inefficient means we have of storing the energy (batteries) or the ecological devastation that would be the result of the massive required size of the green generation sites. The point is that you cannot look at it simply as A vs B. It is a shortsighted way of looking at a complex situation that is over-simplified to the point of being useless. One step forward and thee steps back isn’t progress. At the end of the day, math doesn’t care about your lofty ideas.
I’m all for innovation. I’d love to have the conversation about nuclear, for example. I’d love to talk about LNG, fracking, and pipelines, but we see that’s obviously not a priority. I’d love to talk about companies making newer, better batteries. But that’s not what we get from the greenies. It’s always “wind and solar, and damn the consequences!” or “intermittency problem intershmitency problem.” These are not the solutions some people seem to think (and I use that word very lightly).
My blacksmith is in full agreement with you.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a lot of EV naysayers, as I am sure there were many in the late 1800s that believed the 'horseless carriage' would NEVER replace the horse and buggy. EV / battery technology will continue to improve with charging speed and battery capacity. I truly believe that my Bronco will be the last new ICE 4 wheeled vehicle I will ever buy. I'm sure that once EV really kicks off, standard gas stations will start to add EV charging stations (if they haven't already). One thing I don't like though is that each manufacturer seems to have their own style plug. If we could get a standardized plug so every EV could use any charging station, it would help immensely.

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don’t think anyone is questioning the direction the auto industry is headed with EVs. The question is whether it actually solves any problems or just creates new ones. Federal regulations and marketing can facilitate sweeping changes but that doesn’t mean it’s actually improved anything.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Battery disposal has already been thought of. VW and Tesla are looking at battery recycling. There's a former Tesla engineer that also started a company to recycle old batteries https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanoh...ches-from-your-old-batteries/?sh=5cffbdb73726. There are companies that actually sell old Tesla battery packs today because they still have a lot of juice in them.
The grid isn't super green and neither are the batteries, but then again if you look at oil wells dotted around the world, it's not exactly like the only thing making oil/gas bad for the environment is CO2. Oil spills, pipeline spills, and dammit when I was 20 I forgot to put the oil plug back in and dumped 4 quarts onto my dad's new paved driveway :ROFLMAO:.
As long as plastics are used in vehicles and asphalt is used on roads, those wells aren't going anywhere.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As long as plastics are used in vehicles and asphalt is used on roads, those wells aren't going anywhere.
There are tens of thousands of abandoned wells.
https://www.pewtrusts.org/research-...nd-gas-wells-are-a-growing-problem-for-states
We can certainly make plastic without pulling oil from the ground and there are alternatives to asphalt. Do I expect these alternatives to replace existing processes and materials overnight? Hells no. It will probably take decades. It took us awhile to get to where we are and it will take time to move on to the newer things.

Sponsored

4xFord

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can make a thousand arguments about why electric cars will never work and debate them FOREVER. But one argument no one can deny. Fossil based fuels will eventually run out. If we don't find an alternative source for fossil fuels then civilization will cease.

Looked what happened last week when the pipeline just stopped for 1 week.
I agree that oil and gas are finite resources and we'll eventually need to turn the page. The part I struggle with is that we're going all in on another set of finite resources (lithium, cobalt, neodymium) that are almost entirely sourced from foreign markets. Peak oil will decline over decades, no doubt, but China could cut off our cobalt imports tomorrow.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What's the obsession with putting giant tablets in the center stack of EVs? Can buttons and batteries not coexist? I do not like this, Sam I am, I do want buttons to find my jam.

Is battery disposal really a big deal? I know it sounds bad but we already bury so many couches, appliances, disposable batteries, CFL bulbs, etc. so is a battery the size of 6 suitcases being buried every 10 years per person really a giant increase in personal waste? Landfills are supposed to be sealed and batteries probably need a separate section where they're not trampled by dozers but this seems like a minor concern and hopefully a short term one as recycling becomes more realistic.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I see a lot of "We're not ready" here. If we never start a transition we never will be. If I say I'll never be able to run a marathon and never implement changes to do that then I never will be. But, it I start making changes and training to do it I could.

Nothing changes in a stagnant situation, this is definitely a huge push to mainstreaming EVs to people who would never consider them otherwise, opening the market considerably.

There weren't 3 gas stations per intersection when ICEs were rolled out either, but look at us now. I know all gas stations can't add charging stations, but many could, so the infrastructure isn't as daunting as some would make it.

Last edited:

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There's a reason why 1 out of 5 EV owners in CA have switched back to internal combustion vehicles:

It only takes a few minutes to fill up an empty gas tank versus hours to recharge a battery in an EV.

The technology (batteries, charging systems) is not there yet for normal usage.
You're absolutely right. The technology isn't there yet, so the only solution is to give up.

I'm certain that NASA determined that because they didn't have rockets that could make it to the moon in 1962, that they should give up too. I'm glad they did, going to the moon is dumb and there's no V-8's there.
Sponsored