Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Alright folks, I'm at a loss here. I've watched Ford's YouTube video and the one by the dude at Bronco Nation who makes terrible jokes. I followed each step exactly in order when it comes to removing fasteners and such for the roof rack removal, but when I go to lift the rack off like the videos show, it doesn't lift off. It'll raise up some but there is a metal clip that extends under the lip of the MIC top just enough that it won't allow the rack to be lifted off. Has anyone with the factory roof rack been able to successfully remove it with ease or are there others as frustrated as I am?
Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright folks, I'm at a loss here. I've watched Ford's YouTube video and the one by the dude at Bronco Nation who makes terrible jokes. I followed each step exactly in order when it comes to removing fasteners and such for the roof rack removal, but when I go to lift the rack off like the videos show, it doesn't lift off. It'll raise up some but there is a metal clip that extends under the lip of the MIC top just enough that it won't allow the rack to be lifted off. Has anyone with the factory roof rack been able to successfully remove it with ease or are there others as frustrated as I am?
Following in case I have an issue.

From what I remember the rear section is “clamped” onto the MIC. Maybe you need to loosen the clamp more so the ledge unseats. I am getting mine in a few weeks so I’m not speaking from experience.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you remove the triangular head bolts from the rear mounts?

OP
OP
BOLD Renegade93

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Following in case I have an issue.

From what I remember the rear section is “clamped” onto the MIC. Maybe you need to loosen the clamp more so the ledge unseats. I am getting mine in a few weeks so I’m not speaking from experience.
It is clamped to the MIC, but I've loosened the triangle bolt all the way and the lip of the clamp doesn't clear the MIC edge. It gets close but nowhere near the video where they literally pick the dang thing up and remove it without any resistance. I'm sure Ford made it so that those guys didn't embarrass themselves lol.

OP
OP
BOLD Renegade93

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you remove the triangular head bolts from the rear mounts?
Yes I did. I tried that and I also tried just loosening without removing them. Same result for me. It definitely gets loose and tries to lift off but that dang metal clamp still gets caught

Sponsored

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A different issue I have with the same video - I have the factory roof rack - but I cannot remove the front panels with the rack installed. Even after opening the locks/clips and then folding the front back up - the panel still gets caught on that front clip bracket. The locator pin is what gets caught.

OP
OP
BOLD Renegade93

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty sure the rear crossbar just presses into the two end clamps. Grab one of the end clamps and tug it towards you, away from the vehicle!
Yeah it kinda does. It sits on the clamp with a rubber dampening liner in between to reduce scratching and rubbing. The clamps can't be pulled enough to clear the lip of the MIC. At least I haven't figured it out yet. The video is so misleading, which is part of my frustration. The two guys literally lifted it off like it was just resting on top of the roof.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this help? Maybe work the installation in teverse

Ford Bronco Factory roof rack removal from MIC 89839B7B-91C6-4142-BC68-A6A02DC14B58

OP
OP
BOLD Renegade93

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does this help? Maybe work the installation in teverse

Ford Bronco Factory roof rack removal from MIC 89839B7B-91C6-4142-BC68-A6A02DC14B58
I don't think so but I didn't try removing the rear cross bar. It doesn't say to in either video but it's worth another look. Appreciate the photo though.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah it kinda does. It sits on the clamp with a rubber dampening liner in between to reduce scratching and rubbing. The clamps can't be pulled enough to clear the lip of the MIC. At least I haven't figured it out yet. The video is so misleading, which is part of my frustration. The two guys literally lifted it off like it was just resting on top of the roof.
Kinda does? Lol
Pull harder 🤷🏻

OP
OP
BOLD Renegade93

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kinda does? Lol
Pull harder 🤷🏻
Yeah I might try that next time. It didn't seem like it wanted to release with a good amount of effort so I wasn't willing to mess up a brand new roof rack/Roof without further research.

PNWAdventurer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Range Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took my roof rack off a few days ago and had the same issue. The clamp didn't want to slide enough down or out to clear the roof channel. I took the top cover off so I could see how the clamp worked. The clamp is suppose to slide down as you loosen the triangular bolt but that wasn't happening. I ended up placing a small screwdriver between the roof and clamp where it clips into the channel. I slowly and carefully walked the clamp down enough to clear. It was frustrating for sure but I was able to get it off. I'm hope it is just from being taken off for the 1st time.

OP
OP
BOLD Renegade93

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I took my roof rack off a few days ago and had the same issue. The clamp didn't want to slide enough down or out to clear the roof channel. I took the top cover off so I could see how the clamp worked. The clamp is suppose to slide down as you loosen the triangular bolt but that wasn't happening. I ended up placing a small screwdriver between the roof and clamp where it clips into the channel. I slowly and carefully walked the clamp down enough to clear. It was frustrating for sure but I was able to get it off. I'm hope it is just from being taken off for the 1st time.
Yeah I honestly thought about doing this but wanted to see what experience others had doing it first. I might try that next.

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I honestly thought about doing this but wanted to see what experience others had doing it first. I might try that next.
They are sticky under the the triangular bolt. I had one side that dropped down and out of the way, the other needed some prying to break free and slide down and out. keep wiggling it with a bit of screwdriver prying and it will work.
Sponsored