Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you. Does it damage or permanently after roof when installed with back clamp ?
Watch the video. It’s designed to be attached and removed easily and repeatedly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did a few times. Almost seems as the roof is manufactured with a little notch it in to fit back clamp

kodathedog

Badlands
First Name
Koda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The rear stanchion clips into a dedicated spot in the rear of the shell. The molded roof is reinforced in that area to support the clamping force generated by the bracket. This is why there is a torque tool supplied because with a regular wrench, you can generate enough force to crack that composite roof.
Also, one of the reasons the roof rack is not on the build sheet for some of the vehicles could be to the overhead clearance on the transporters delivering to the dealers. You can still order the bars as an accessory.

doyouglas

Black Diamond
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So the bottom line is... factory bronco roof rack cannot support a soft top roof tent?

The average weight of a soft top roof tent is about ~160 lbs for the 2 person tent. It can go up to ~200 lbs for a 4 person roof top tent. Then you have to take in account of the 2-4 people that will sleep on it. Depending on the weight of each person that will be around 500lbs or more on a factory roof.

Good thing I didn't opt for the factory roof rack...

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So the bottom line is... factory bronco roof rack cannot support a soft top roof tent?

The average weight of a soft top roof tent is about ~160 lbs for the 2 person tent. It can go up to ~200 lbs for a 4 person roof top tent. Then you have to take in account of the 2-4 people that will sleep on it. Depending on the weight of each person that will be around 500lbs or more on a factory roof.

Good thing I didn't opt for the factory roof rack...
They make tents that weigh 150-200 lbs?!? Are they made of steel or what?

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The SuperLite Roof Tent by Go Fast Campers is the option I’m considering. Weight is approximately 80 lbs, and it’s made for 2 adults plus pet or toddler.

https://gofastcampers.com/pages/superlite

Below is a CGI rendering from the company’s website showing the SuperLite on a 4-door Bronco. I haven’t seen a rendering for a 2-door Bronco, but I think the Company has indicated that it will fit the 2-door, too, but likely with some overhang.

I have emailed the company asking for an overhang diagram. If I receive a response, I will post it here.

Ford Bronco Factory roof rack review? EC2EC7EF-4887-4AC1-9065-E1146BB1573F

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I canceled my factory rack as well. I'll wait it out for an exo solution from Front Runner, Gobi, Rhino, etc. I really like the look of Front Runner products. 110 lbs seems pretty pointless to me for such a big vehicle.

Sponsored

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure doesnt seem like very much weight at all. A Christmas tree and that’s it lol !!
Since when does a Christmas tree weigh 110lbs?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, all I want is to do is to be able to put my Kayak up there. Are there adapters that will attach to the factory rack? Or will I be able to go aftermarket with Yakima, etc. and attach a rack? How soon will a manufacturer have a rack system available?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, all I want is to do is to be able to put my Kayak up there. Are there adapters that will attach to the factory rack? Or will I be able to go aftermarket with Yakima, etc. and attach a rack? How soon will a manufacturer have a rack system available?
There are actually Kayak systems on the Build and Price. Down towards the bottom there is the "Saddle up for Adventure" area of the Overview part of the Bronco page. One of those options is specifically for Kayaks.
I will be getting something for mine to store my Jackson Cuda, which is not a light Yak to begin with.
There are some cool, but kinda pricey, options out there from Yakima and others with swing-down kayak loading systems that seem really, really cool. As I get older I will be investing in one of them myself.
2021 Ford® Bronco SUV | The 2-Door & 4-Door Bronco Is Back

kodathedog

Badlands
First Name
Koda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The SuperLite Roof Tent by Go Fast Campers is the option I’m considering. Weight is approximately 80 lbs, and it’s made for 2 adults plus pet or toddler.

https://gofastcampers.com/pages/superlite

Below is a CGI rendering from the company’s website showing the SuperLite on a 4-door Bronco. I haven’t seen a rendering for a 2-door Bronco, but I think the Company has indicated that it will fit the 2-door, too, but likely with some overhang.

I have emailed the company asking for an overhang diagram. If I receive a response, I will post it here.

EC2EC7EF-4887-4AC1-9065-E1146BB1573F.jpeg

Quick follow-up to my previous post from a few weeks ago. As I suggested, I recently emailed GFC requesting a mounting diagram with key dimensions — while considering the potential overhang when mounting on a 2-door Bronco — and this is what they sent me (both text and PDF attachment)...

Thanks for reaching out, I'm happy to help.

The SuperLite is made to work with a wide array of roof racks and crossbars. Given its weight, it's also compatible with most vehicles on the market. Two things to consider before purchasing are the dimensions of the tent and how much overhang will be present when mounted on the vehicle, and the static weight rating of your roof rack. I'll dive a little deeper below:

Dimensions and overhang:

I've attached a visual guide for overhang guidelines, but I'll sum it up here as well. SuperLite's need to be mounted with no more than 16" of overhang off the rear of the tent. That's because this is where you put your weight when you're entering the tent, or where you'll sit when you're hanging out at camp. In order to avoid too much leverage off the front, the front-most crossbar needs to be a minimum of 7" from the center of the tent. This means there's 38" of available overhang off the front of the tent. This basically means you'll only need 36" from crossbar to crossbar in order to successfully mount the SuperLite on your vehicle. Keep in mind, we do not recommend standing or sitting on the SuperLite when it's closed.

Crossbar/rack weight rating:

The ball is in your court on this part. You'll want to find a mounting solution that will accommodate the weight of the tent (~80 lbs) plus whoever is planning on sleep inside of it. For this, you'll want to find out the "static" weight rating of your rack or crossbars. If you determine it's a safe fit for the weight you anticipate in the tent, go for it!

Mounting/hardware:

All SuperLite tents will ship with our Universal Mounting Straps and all necessary hardware to mount the SuperLite to your vehicle. Our quick-release mounts are still in development and we hope to have those ready soon...keep an eye out for updates and check out our new SuperLite Mounting Video HERE for more information and a visual guide for mounting the SuperLite using the Universal Mounting Straps.

If you have any other questions please let us know.
Sponsored

Attachments