Sponsored

Factory Sasquatch question - Goodyears (or another tire) good for rocky conditions (puncture resistance)?

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That Cooper sounds pretty good. Local and only tire store in town sells Cooper.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.
Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This subject is open to a ton of various opinions. We had a good discussion at Off Roadeo Las Vegas about tire pressures. They had cut a number of the Goodyear tires running them at normal road pressure of 35-40 psi, so they tried (had to get Ford permission) 25 psi with much better results. The comment had been made to lower pressure to minimize tire cuts. I've also seen this comment on trail reviews from folks with crossover SUV's and overland folks. Coming from hard core off road and desert racing we say the opposite, to raise pressure to minimize cutting. However, it appears that both comments are correct from each perspective. A less aggressive street tire, or a load range C off road tire from some brands, can be more prone to sidewall punctures at higher street pressures, so lowering the pressure can make the tire more compliant and resist some cuts. For serious off road stuff, pressures are typically lowered to 15 psi or less, and we know for going faster through the desert, and for off road competitions, raising the tire pressures can reduce tire cutting. Seems both views are basically saying the same thing, that pressures in the 20's, rather than in the teens or 30-40's, can likely reduce tire cutting. Just some thoughts here, FWIW.

I've run Goodyears, and raced on Goodyears, with very good results. (was also sponsored by them). However, I haven't seen good things regarding the Territory that comes on the Bronco. They seem to grip well enough, but tire cuts and throwing a lot of gravel make me want to look at a different tire. Tires that I would be be comfortable running include BFG KO2 AT's or KM2 MT's, though I have cut plenty of older BFG MT's, Falken Wildpeak AT's or MT's, have run those and raced on them with good success, and Toyo or Nitto (same company) which have proven to be a great tire. My current tires on two Jeeps are Falken Wildpeak AT's and Nitto Trail Grappler MT's, both I would recommend for both grip and durability.

BTW, bias Swampers are tough tires, but hardcore mud tires and horrible on the road. Radial Swampers cut as much or more as other tires.

Last edited:

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Goodyear’s will be removed immediately and replaced with a far more trustworthy & durable option. I love tires, at the moment my favorite is Kenda’s Klever RT KR601.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If these fail me......we'd in in a place that help would have to be airlifted in!!!!
They look "Made for Bronco".
For real, when I get a Bronco its getting swampers. I have 28x8.50 tsls on a amc eagle, and it does better in sand than my old 32x11.50 BFG MTs. They arent really any worse on road than any extra durable mud terrian tires.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would get a Toyo tire and be done with it. They are tough as nails but weigh a ton but are made to withstand any puncture or cuts to the carcass
That's a fact. Toyo M55 is a seriously tough tire. That's what's going on my Bronco. It's made for commercial trucks. They will recap well also.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ya'll have given me a bunch of good info and things to begin looking at.
I enjoy this forum!

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm leaning toward the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T. A couple of you mentioned it.
Seems to be very close to the Cooper S/T Maxx, but more available right now.

I like that 3rd ply in the sidewalls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We went with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT.

Why? Great reviews! 3 PLY sidewall. Agressive thread very much like Cooper ST Maxx, 50,000 mile warranty, good price, Made in USA, 3 peak snow rating, available right now, as quite as the Territory on highway, throws way less gravel, looks great and dealer gave us a good trade-in on the take-offs. Dealer said the local jeep people have reported back only good about this tire.

2nd Thoughts: not sure I can lift these things, been running E rated tires for 20 plus years on everything we own....these are stiffer than any past all terrain we have used so going to do a chaulk test and run lower pressure.

Last edited:

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We went with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT.

Why? Great reviews! 3 PLY sidewall. Agressive thread very much like Cooper ST Maxx, 50,000 mile warranty, good price, Made in USA, 3 peak snow rating, available right now, as quite as the Territory on highway, throws way less gravel, looks great and dealer gave us a good trade-in on the take-offs. Dealer said the local jeep people have reported back only good about this tire.

2nd Thoughts: not sure I can lift these things, been running E rated tires for 20 plus years on everything we own....these are stiffer than any past all terrain we have used so going to do a chaulk test and run lower pressure.
Thanks for the updates. Let us know how they ride after the pressure adjustments.
Did you go with the 315's or the 35's?

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
315. Thank you for your earlier comments. I knew about Mickey Thompson when I was in high school and he raced his Pinto. But until very recent I never gave his tires any notice.
My towns only dealer sells mainly GY, Cooper and Firestone. He said he sells a bunch of Mickey Thompson to the Jeep and mud-truck crowd. I guess Bronce has widened my world outlook!

I don't have any dog in the 315 vs 35 discussion, but interestingly the MT Baja Boss AT in an E rated tire is the very same part number.

Sponsored

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We watched the Expedition Overland series on Amazon. From the Arctic to south tip of South America....all on General tires. That series really spiked my off-road interest.

I was very interested in that very same tire. I know they are going to work for you!
What size did you get?

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run 36" Super Swampers TSL on my 71' bronco when crawling, tough as nails, but are bias and not even remotely a consideration for daily driving. They handle terrible and the road noise is incredible. They look great, crawl great but are not a daily driver tire. The only radials that I've seen that could be a daily driver tire and a crawler tire hold up are the BFG AT and MT.
Ford Bronco Factory Sasquatch question - Goodyears (or another tire) good for rocky conditions (puncture resistance)? 20140826_201957_zpsm7ddxgws

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your Bronco looks better than my 2021!
It brings back memories.

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We watched the Expedition Overland series on Amazon. From the Arctic to south tip of South America....all on General tires. That series really spiked my off-road interest.

I was very interested in that very same tire. I know they are going to work for you!
What size did you get?
295/70/17 so 33.3"
Sponsored