Sponsored

Factory Sasquatch question - Goodyears (or another tire) good for rocky conditions (puncture resistance)?

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I searched and found info on mud and snow but my question is about punctures.

We live on a gravel road but hope to do trails next spring and summer that are very rocky....not boulders, just 3-5 inch rocky trails. Our various AT tires handle gravel well but where we want to go is much rougher with larger and sharper rocks. Traction is important but puncture toughness is primary.

How will the Goodyears do for puncture resistance? Also, if they are not good, recommend a tire for rocky conditions. Snow and mud are lower down on our concerns.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would get a Toyo tire and be done with it. They are tough as nails but weigh a ton but are made to withstand any puncture or cuts to the carcass

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Super Swampers have punture resistance that is second to only military and skidsteer tires.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Despite the bad press they get here, I would recommend Load Range E tires for puncture resistance. Properly aired they shouldn't ride much rougher than C's. And just anecdotal, and not with the Bronco Goodyears, but I won't buy a Goodyear tire due to many sidewall punctures on Goodyear equipped work trucks.

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Dropping tire pressure down while on those type of trails significantly reduces the risk. They were running 20-25 psi at Off Roadeo where there was this type of terrain.

Sponsored

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Running 20psi at Nevada Offroadeo, the SAS equipped bronco in front of me had a sidewall slashed. The rock didn't appear to be that sharp.

Sorry I don't have recommendations on tires. I've always had good luck with BFGs, but newish to offroading.

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK, all good advice coming in.

I'd appreciate to hear from others as tires are such an expensive purchase.
I am new to true off road and I do not have much knowledge about many brands that are
not in the passenger and AT category.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If these fail me......we'd in in a place that help would have to be airlifted in!!!!
They look "Made for Bronco".
Interco has a couple other less aggressive options too. I was really happy with the Truxus MT.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Load range "C" in those conditions would not be my choice. Also an A/T would not be my first choice. Once in a while will likely be fine. If that is regular terrain I would look at D-E rated tires and a more aggressive tread.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ran the Cooper ST Maxx on my mercedes. They were highly rated for puncture resistance.
https://www.coopertires.com.au/coop...oopers-proven-armor-tek3-carcass-construction
This. Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX are awesome for this if you're looking for a hybrid MT/AT tire (See the STT Pro if you're looking for something even more aggressive).

These were mine after 40k miles, I beat the daylights out of them and they were great. Moved to a BFG KO2 since, but I'll probably go back to the Coopers with my next tire purchase. The Coopers have gotten a lot more expensive than a few years back, though; moreso even than other tires.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This. Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX are awesome for this if you're looking for a hybrid MT/AT tire (See the STT Pro if you're looking for something even more aggressive).

These were mine after 40k miles, I beat the daylights out of them and they were great. Moved to a BFG KO2 since, but I'll probably go back to the Coopers with my next tire purchase. The Coopers have gotten a lot more expensive than a few years back, though; moreso even than other tires.

I agree with your thoughts in the video. ST Maxx were amazing and my G Class was a heavy SOB. I put the AT/3's on my Porsche Cayenne and was so impressed I stayed with Coopers when I upgraded to the G.

Cooper recently released the Rugged Trek. It'll be hard for me not to buy Coopers again, but the MT Baja Boss AT's are speaking to me; 3 Peak rated, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ST Maxx could have passed that test.
https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-tires/all-tires/discoverer-rugged-trek

Also, GY just bought Cooper. I hope they don't screw them up.

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with your thoughts in the video. ST Maxx were amazing and my G Class was a heavy SOB. I put the AT/3's on my Porsche Cayenne and was so impressed I stayed with Coopers when I upgraded to the G.

Cooper recently released the Rugged Trek. It'll be hard for me not to buy Coopers again, but the MT Baja Boss AT's are speaking to me; 3 Peak rated, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ST Maxx could have passed that test.
https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-tires/all-tires/discoverer-rugged-trek

Also, GY just bought Cooper. I hope they don't screw them up.
I wheel with a fair number of people that use Mickey T's, ATZ P3 or the MT version of that. They do perform quite well, very similar to the Coopers.
Sponsored