First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I got my Bronco it had a few issues, most of which have been resolved. I expected some with it being a first year production vehicle.

The main issue i have now that my dealer doesnt seem to want to acknowledge is the soft top noises. I have owned other soft tops before but this is a distinct noise coming from the rivets through the cross member above the rear window. When the top is in the "half back" position, it will pop and sqeak like there are two birds fighting in the back at any speed above 30 MPH. I have a video of the clicking sound when stationary. will have to get a driver to stick me in the back to film the sound when in motion :)

Im thinking that this needs some sort of lubricant around the rivets but have no idea what to use. Anybody else experiencing this? any ideas?

Ford Bronco Factory Soft Top Squeak/Popping when Top Open IMG_4408
Sponsored

Attachments

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
When I got my Bronco it had a few issues, most of which have been resolved. I expected some with it being a first year production vehicle.

The main issue i have now that my dealer doesnt seem to want to acknowledge is the soft top noises. I have owned other soft tops before but this is a distinct noise coming from the rivets through the cross member above the rear window. When the top is in the "half back" position, it will pop and sqeak like there are two birds fighting in the back at any speed above 30 MPH. I have a video of the clicking sound when stationary. will have to get a driver to stick me in the back to film the sound when in motion :)

Im thinking that this needs some sort of lubricant around the rivets but have no idea what to use. Anybody else experiencing this? any ideas?

Ford Bronco Factory Soft Top Squeak/Popping when Top Open IMG_4408
Hello, Thomas!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
Iā€™d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your Bronco. Thanks!

OP
OP
Gamecock2010

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello, Thomas!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
Iā€™d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your Bronco. Thanks!
Thanks, message sent!

jakebadlands

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same exact issue and it's driving me nuts. Have you figured out a solution?

OP
OP
Gamecock2010

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford called me and told me to send it in to a ford dealer ha. I tried to put some lubricant on the rivets along the back ( i know it is coming from that member of the frame), but it didnt fix it. going to schedule time to take it in this week..

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gamecock2010

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the same exact issue and it's driving me nuts. Have you figured out a solution?
curious though. on the back where the 4 clips are that hold the rear window in, there is a tag that looks like a list of inspection signatures. Mine has a big red X on it but when i see videos online of operating the soft top they all have green stickers. what does yours have?

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any luck on this at all?

OP
OP
Gamecock2010

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any luck on this at all?
Not yet, still need to get it in to the dealership. The red X seems to not have any impact. I have had 2 converstaions with the Ford Motor Company account on here and all they did is create a case and direct me back to the dealer. No known TSB that i have seen. Please let me know if you have any more luck! ill update this thread when i eventually take mine in.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same issue and have been working on a fix.

I took some soft felt stick on pads about the size of a nickel and pushed them in next to the rivets but under the plastic soft top tab. It seems to have worked. I also tightened the torx screws at the end of the bar after taking them out and spraying a little wd40 up into the metal bar. There are two in each end.

Seems to have fixed it for the moment. It took about four tries and about 15 soft felt pads to get the plastic strip to fit tight along the complete back of the bar.

OP
OP
Gamecock2010

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I took some soft felt stick on pads about the size of a nickel and pushed them in next to the rivets but under the plastic soft top tab. It seems to have worked. I also tightened the torx screws at the end of the bar after taking them out and spraying a little wd40 up into the metal bar. There are two in each end.

Seems to have fixed it for the moment. It took about four tries and about 15 soft felt pads to get the plastic strip to fit tight along the complete back of the bar.
That does sound promising! thanks for sharing. Could you share which felt pads you used?

Sponsored

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the same popping noises (though it's not exclusive to when the top is open for me).
Been debating taking it to the dealer, but i know how those "I hear a noise" type things usually turn out...
I just happen to have a box of sticky felt pads looking for a good use.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That does sound promising! thanks for sharing. Could you share which felt pads you used?
Iā€™ll try and get a picture when I get home. You fold them in half as you put them in. Sticky side out.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take the back off to expose the sticky side. With a flat head screw driver on the felt side, push up into the bar between the soft top plastic channel and metal bar as close to the rivets as possible. I used 2-4 per riveted space and several at the bar end where the plastic flares out.

It is helpful to place something heavy on top of the flap that has the female side of the clips to hold it on top of the soft top while you work.
7845D944-F242-46C5-888E-5FF1ADDF006E.jpeg

mehkanical

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I'm unfamiliar with the area you're applying the soft felt stick pads, but will try to locate it.

The popping I'm experiencing with mine seems to be coming from the torx screws at either end of the metal crossbar sealing the tailgate. I noticed that the bar is able to shift vertically. Will tighten the torx screws and hope that solves it.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm unfamiliar with the area you're applying the soft felt stick pads, but will try to locate it.

The popping I'm experiencing with mine seems to be coming from the torx screws at either end of the metal crossbar sealing the tailgate. I noticed that the bar is able to shift vertically. Will tighten the torx screws and hope that solves it.
I had noise from that area also and tightening did not completely solve it. Driver side still popped when the top was folded back. It did make it better though, I had no noise when the top was up completely. What helped my end pieces to be completely quiet was to take the 4 torx screws completely out and shoot a little wd40 up into the hole using the little straw.

Has been completely quiet for almost 1000 miles now.
Sponsored