First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 FJ cruiser (just sold), 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the factory trailer brake controller this evening. As you may know it is essentially the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite.

I went to pick it up from the parts department at my dealer today and they had it marked as paid and part of the deal. It was not, and I told them, but they said they did not care. No arguments from me as it is listed as $339 (said they could do it $284.76) . šŸ˜€

The installation was a bit if a pain, which was made harder by the idiocy of me somehow smashing my thumb in my truck door yesterday.

Thank you Ford not just running all the wires when you order the tow package. Also, thank you so much for not having a blank and forcing me to drill my own hole for the gain control knob. The install was much easier on my F-150.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures during the install, but I have attached the installation document in case somebody wants to see whatā€™s involved. Here is an image of the installed gain control knob.

Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback 189A3846-407D-4238-AFD3-B7BB0621F870

Note: If I was doing it again I would ignore their instructions and put the actual controller box on the driver side. Running the cables behind the glove box is a waste of time and depending on your options thereā€™s not a clear attachment point like the images show because of other cables.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah... the center console. That makes sense.

I was curious where they would have you put the knob. From the pictures of the Bronco interior there doesn't seem to be any room anywhere near the dash, but I thought maybe I could make it work anyway since I got the base package (no Mid/High/Lux packages). Just wasn't sure where exactly since it's damn near impossible to find detailed interior pictures of a Bronco without those packages.

BUT, didn't even think to mount it on the center console. Clever. Thanks for posting!

Jebster

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a dumb question. If I ordered the tow package from the factory this will already be installed? I ask because I haven't seen any pictures of a bronco where they had this installed to see the knob placement.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a dumb question. If I ordered the tow package from the factory this will already be installed? I ask because I haven't seen any pictures of a bronco where they had this installed to see the knob placement.
No this is not included in the tow package option.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@NC_Pinz is correct. The factory tow package is just the hitch assembly and wiring harness for lights.

Note that many (probably most by now) states legally require trailer brake controllers if you tow above 3000 lbs (Bronco has max towing of around 3500 lbs, depending on your exact build).

That said, it is highly unlikely that you will get a ticket for towing a trailer slightly over 3000 lbs without a brake controller. You could probably take that risk and never have an issue. But there are many other reasons why youā€™d want oneā€”especially if you are off-roading with something like a teardrop camper or an overlanding trailer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Tow package includes all of the wiring to the 7 pin trailer connector. That includes the +12 VDC and electric brake control wires. It is wired to plug a brake controller in. Thereā€™s also a tow package Module that connects all of this together.

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@NC_Pinz is correct. The factory tow package is just the hitch assembly and wiring harness for lights.

Note that many (probably most by now) states legally require trailer brake controllers if you tow above 3000 lbs (Bronco has max towing of around 3500 lbs, depending on your exact build).

That said, it is highly unlikely that you will get a ticket for towing a trailer slightly over 3000 lbs without a brake controller. You could probably take that risk and never have an issue. But there are many other reasons why youā€™d want oneā€”especially if you are off-roading with something like a teardrop camper or an overlanding trailer.
Also, without the tow package the the plug for the brake controller wiring harness (under drivers-side dash) that connects to the controller is missing.

My camper weighs around 3000 and even with my truck that is rated at 12k pounds I would not tow it at high speed very far without the trailer brake controller. If you have to stop suddenly or on a steep grade it makes a huge difference and is much safer.

Last edited:

Jebster

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Tow package includes all of the wiring to the 7 pin trailer connector. That includes the +12 VDC and electric brake control wires. It is wired to plug a brake controller in. Thereā€™s also a tow package Module that connects all of this together.
So, if I have a bronco on order with tow package it has the hitch and some portion of the wiring? I have to get the tow controller accessory to have full 7pin trailer hookup for trailer brakes? Didn't realize that. I know I would prefer to have everything wired from the factory vs having to splice into electrical after the fact. Looks like I need to do some more reading!

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, if I have a bronco on order with tow package it has the hitch and some portion of the wiring? I have to get the tow controller accessory to have full 7pin trailer hookup for trailer brakes? Didn't realize that. I know I would prefer to have everything wired from the factory vs having to splice into electrical after the fact. Looks like I need to do some more reading!
If you have the tow package the 7 Pin will work with all of you tail/Brake lights, but not the brakes themselves. Also, you donā€™t have to cut any wires as there is a connector that attaches to the wiring harness. I think the dealer wanted $100 to install it. That may be worth it for some, but I am cheap, plus I did not really trust them to do it right.

It is really annoying that Ford did not make it with a truly plug and play module like the F-150s with the tow package. All you had to do was remove some dash pieces to pull out the blank and insert the controller. I get this is not a ā€œtowing vehicleā€, but quite a few will use it for small trailers.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Jebster, as Mybbackpacker stated the tow package as everything for towing with the seven pin connector except the brake controller and there is a plug to the right of the steering column to plug the Ford (REDARC) brake controller in. No cutting are splicing of wires.

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does Ford include the pigtail with a connector for a brake controller? Thanks

Jebster

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jebster, as Mybbackpacker stated the tow package as everything for towing with the seven pin connector except the brake controller and there is a plug to the right of the steering column to plug the Ford (REDARC) brake controller in. No cutting are splicing of wires.
That is great to hear. Just having to plug something into an existing connector is perfect. Like many all I need is the truck! Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hooked up the camper and did some testing today and verified the controller works. I had to put an temporarily put extension on the receiver for my Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch to clear the tire. I will be getting a longer shank for the Equal-i-zer hitch as I do not want to use an extension.

It towed fine, but I only towed it around the neighborhood as the chains were too short and the cable for 7 pin barely reached. It seemed fine driving but I wouldnā€™t want to take a chance without having a longer one and I had to unplug it to back it up again into the driveway.

Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback C251B668-534F-44CE-A042-59BBAF8B8233

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does Ford include the pigtail with a connector for a brake controller? Thanks
If you have the towing package, yes. The controller comes with a wiring harness that connects to the prewired plug under the dash and connects to the trailer brake controller and another from the controller to the adjustment knob. I do not believe that connector under the dash is there if you do not have the towing package.

WildernessMan

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder how long it will be before air bags for the back axle will be available to make hauling even better.
Sponsored