Sponsored

Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution?

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Read a couple comments on other threads noticing the available factory-optioned winch on front bumper (rugged steel one) covers up the "window pane" for the forward-looking collision avoidance sensors. That really surprised me since I made the same observation on a cursory look. However, in this photo, wondering if that pyramid shaped protrusion on top is either a relocated sensor or maybe some kind of "pariscope of mirrors" allowing the sensor to project over the top of the bumper mounted winch.

What do you think? I mean Ford isn't going to just abandon all the safety features (speed-sensitive cruise control, collision avoidance) for sake of having a winch. Especially not one that is factory optioned to be mounted right ahead of the stock sensor viewpoint.

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? Capture.PNG
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

there is also this option. but that obstructs the camera that is located between the O and the N in Bronco. then comes the question of where do you mount the front licence plate for areas that require it? because you can't block the parking sensors either or the fog lights right.

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 1595260199909

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 1595260289268

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’d be really surprised if the sensor is located in the bumper (first aftermarket bumper ruins your safety tech?)- the Gladiator/Wrangler puts it in the rear view mirror assembly so it works even with the windshield folded down. ?‍♂

JK

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’d be really surprised if the sensor is located in the bumper (first aftermarket bumper ruins your safety tech?)- the Gladiator/Wrangler puts it in the rear view mirror assembly so it works even with the windshield folded down. ?‍♂
90% certain that flat pane is the protective cover and transparency for the forward-looking sensors

SilverII

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think they can move the sensor up and free up that spot for the winch. On the Tacoma, the sensor is up on the grill area

Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
90% certain that flat pane is the protective cover and transparency for the forward-looking sensors
On all the pre production test vehicles >>maybe<< - but if it is really down in the bumper, then Ford is creating a massive headache for themselves because the instant the bumper is removed and an aftermarket bumper is installed (unless aftermarket bumpers won’t be a thing) the safety system is rendered null. This modding/aftermarket scene is why the JL/JT has the ugly tail lights - the light housings are where the blind spot sensors reside because the lights aren’t somewhere that is removed/modded and they have to stick out to clear the fender flares.

JK

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
good point about these being pre-production mules.
Like I said at the start.... really odd place to put a critical sensor.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From other makes/models that I've seen like Genesis, MB, etc. this smooth glass-like feature is almost surely the protection over the sensors.
Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? Capture2.PNG

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you look at the windshields from the press cars making the rounds on YouTube (the yellow 2-door and Cactus Grey 4-door) you see a large black area in front of the overhead console/rear view mirror ... that look VERY similar to the sensor package on the JT Rubicon I have. It makes WAY more sense to locate it there ... ?‍♂

JK

9AC9C2DB-0559-4B69-A7F5-719B9D00764F.jpeg

27D52B85-02C9-4D6D-873A-476D373449EA.jpeg

B3226593-1077-4C88-9301-475947F8310B.jpeg

CC348428-4071-4E03-8145-0CED264BED1F.jpeg

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agreed. then what the $#&@ is that flat, shiny pane thingy in the middle of every trim bumper?

Sponsored

GOAT

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are solutions out there for the Grand Cherokee that integrate the ACC sensor into the after market bumper. I'm sure there will be similar products for the Bronco.

wk2_front_bumper_1__90934.1561095060.jpg

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to beat a dead horse ..... but the oval is circling the review mirror stalk. To the right of that seems to be a plastic housing that corresponds to those flat black squares on the other side of the windshield. I outlined the housing ....

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 05AD3EE5-24C8-4E33-B04E-289608F03056

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 8B2A7934-07D0-4523-9E55-F0AB07AB1C0F

The non JL/JT Jeeps weren’t designed with as heavy of an aftermarket modding scene in mind (relative to the wrangler/gladiator). So while there are aftermarket parts that will work it’s a different design philosophy than something designed to be modded (Bronco/Ford saying “everywhere you see a torx bolt you can remove that part”/over 200 accessories at launch/quick release fender flares/choice of bumpers and skids plates and rock rails/etc.).

Just sayin’

JK

Last edited:
OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
curious for alternative purpose of that pane/cover in the bumper.
there are provisions for it on both types of front bumpers.
seriously.... what the heck can it be? some other sensor package?

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Could be camouflage hiding something they don’t want seen yet? Or maybe parking sensors (although the forward sensing stuff is only in the high or lux package apparently) .... but the collision and adaptable cruise stuff I’d still wager is up top in the windshield. ?‍♂

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? A72EE647-0E95-4D12-92FF-2EF7B8D1B0C7

Oh! Duh ..... maybe provision for front license plate mounting. (We don’t have front plates in AZ ...)

JK

Last edited:

GOAT

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

curious for alternative purpose of that pane/cover in the bumper.
there are provisions for it on both types of front bumpers.
seriously.... what the heck can it be? some other sensor package?
A lot of vehicles have the forward collision warning camera/sensor near the mirror and the ACC radar is in the grill.
Sponsored