Sponsored

Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution?

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know some f-150s have an acc radar sensor in the front bumper, and collision avoidance tech is almost always by the rear view mirror in my (admittedly limited) experience.

If you look at the cactus grey white top 4 door demonstrator, it does not seem to have this sensor, further implying it’s the optional ACC radar sensor.

My guess is they put ACC and other self driving tech on as many test mules as possible to gather a bunch of data since it probably needs more coding and testing data to dial in?

But that is just a guess, maybe our resident insider @laj.tuxmek can offer some clarity on what this thing may be?

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The fords I've seen recently have the sensors up behind the rearview mirror. Putting it in the center of the bumper wouldnt work well since most of the US (and may other countries) require a front license plate.

GOAT

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an F-150 Platinum with ACC and it is in the mirror stack...I have no sensor in the front of the truck

14.jpg
You see those two plastic squares next to the license plate? That's your ACC radar on the drivers side.

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 7ZNeGHV

Other vehicles like VW and Mercedes-Benz have them actually hidden in the emblem. They are always 2D like my Atlas.

2021-VW-Atlas-4.jpg

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not 100% sure what is on the Bronco, but pretty much all modern Fords have a camera up by the review mirror for Lane Keep Assist and Forward Collision Warning/Automatic Emergency Braking. The radar for the ACC is usually in the bumper area. For example, in the F-150 above, it is behind the plastic cover to the right of the license plate. My guess is that the lower mounted winch is for those Broncos without ACC, and the winch mount on top of the bumper is for those Broncos with ACC. But again, I'm not 100% sure.
That would make a lot of sense, thanks for adding some clarity!

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You see those two plastic squares next to the license plate? That's your ACC radar on the drivers side.

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 2021-VW-Atlas-4
Thanks for the update...just knew that it did not have an eyeball like my Gladiator Rubicon had

Sergio El Bailador

Black Diamond
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Read a couple comments on other threads noticing the available factory-optioned winch on front bumper (rugged steel one) covers up the "window pane" for the forward-looking collision avoidance sensors. That really surprised me since I made the same observation on a cursory look. However, in this photo, wondering if that pyramid shaped protrusion on top is either a relocated sensor or maybe some kind of "pariscope of mirrors" allowing the sensor to project over the top of the bumper mounted winch.

What do you think? I mean Ford isn't going to just abandon all the safety features (speed-sensitive cruise control, collision avoidance) for sake of having a winch. Especially not one that is factory optioned to be mounted right ahead of the stock sensor viewpoint.

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 2021-VW-Atlas-4
That pyramid-shaped box sitting on the winch is the control box for the winch itself and independent of any vehicle systems.

I prefer the winch location shown in this pic much more than the higher one shown covering a big portion of the grill.

My guess is the panel in the bumper is for the Forward Sensing System that comes in High pkg+ and the rearview mirror sensors are for ACC system in Lux pkg+.

I don't like the compromise this suggests - if you need/want a winch but get high package you have to mount it higher or potentially disable your park assist. If you get Lux+ and want a winch you can mount it low and disable park assist or mount it higher and block the trail assist camera. Either way one might be faced with losing a valued feature when getting a winch.

...Or it's moot if you stick with mid package and below.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope these windshields aren’t $2,400 like the Honda windshields.

Sergio El Bailador

Black Diamond
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking closer at the spec sheet it looks like High package and above would get the grill camera.

So any Bronco optioned High Pkg may would make it tough to add a winch without interfering with Forward Sensing System or the camera.

A smaller winch mounted higher with a relocated control box might work .

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I went to the Carlisle Ford Nationals this last weekend. No new Broncos, but Ford Performance had their Ranger there with an installed winch. Not sure if this helps or does nothing to answer questions, but here are the pictures I took.
Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 1596493526146

Ford Bronco Factory winch - front sensor line-of-sight blockage solution? 1596493545033

Sponsored

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

GOAT

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow. $256 bucks plus a bumper change. I need to drop more change in the jar every day! LOL
If you moved the location of the radar you would almost certainly need to have the ACC re-calibrated /aligned at the dealership which costs about $600 on a VW after a 1" lift, for example.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Still researching this, but found this article where Ford Performance worked with ARB to develop a bumper for the Ranger. Looks similar to the number I saw at Carlisle. Article says number is compatible with all of the ranger safety systems:

“That means the bumper is compatible with all Ford factory components, including the safety systems and sensors in the Ford Co-Pilot 360 suite like Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning”

it is available late this year. Maybe I am giving the designers too much credit, but I think they have solutions to the sensor issues already.

https://fordauthority.com/2019/10/f...b-winch-capable-front-bumper-for-ford-ranger/

Sergio El Bailador

Black Diamond
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice find! That's a clean solution, albeit expensive.
Sponsored