Sponsored

Fastest Bronco configuration - engine? 2-door vs 4-door? Sasquatch?

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why is speed even a consideration? It’s an off-road vehicle.
Did you see the Bronco reveal, tearing ass across the desert? When I drive my Bronco I expect to roll my windows down and see a heard of horses galloping all around me on my way to work.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you see the Bronco reveal, tearing ass across the desert? When I drive my Bronco I expect to roll my windows down and see a heard of horses galloping all around me on my way to work.
In the desert, I get. On pavement, I do not. That's why God invented the Mustang.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the 4.7 gears will more than offset those 35's. That's a fair bit of mechanical leverage to get things rolling.

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Assuming a 1.00 final trans gear for easy math

4.7 with a 34.4 tall tire 2984 at 65 mph SaS

4.46 with 31.6 tall tire 3082 at 65 mph BD

4.27 with a 32 tire 2914 at 65 mph BB

I'd call that a wash

The BL 4.7 with the A/T 32.7 tire 3139 at 65 mph does look like the clear winner as far as ratio

Tire heights are generic to the models ..
Didn't look up the actual tire

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I was in the market for a new truck, I drove several Rangers, and in my opinion the ranger (for a mid size pickup) will haul ass!...having said all that I ended up getting a 2019 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost!!! I know the Bronco is heavier but I still think the 2.3 with MT will be plenty fast. And if that's not enough a 5star NGauge tuner adds 55 hp and 88 ft lb torque!

Sponsored

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would argue a 2.7 2dr Badlands as you can get 4.7's without the 35's....but then you have all the heavy steel bumpers, so not sure it would do better then the base....

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a mustang owner but people say the 6spd is the only way to buy that 2.3 hp. I know no one is shifting faster than an auto and with 10 gears they can keep engine right in peak torque curve.
I could see it being engine specific, the 2.3 is pretty weak in today’s world so I could see the engine constantly searching for a gear with it. It probably would be better with a 6 or 8 speed auto or manual. I know though that the mustang, Camaro and Challenger all feel better with autos. The 10’s in the Ford/Chevy and the 8 in the dodge are insanely good transmissions.

OP
OP
BroncoZ

BroncoZ

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base. 2dr, 2.7 engine, velocity blue (it adds extra HP). Probably that combo will run the fastest quarter mile.
Hahaha.. I swaer the was one of my original setups, down right to the color ??

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is a good question and I was wondering as well. Living most of my life in rural Massachusetts this would have not mattered at all (I would get the 2.3 and manual 7 speed)- although after living in Minnesota and now Florida with flat, straight roads, stop lights with speed limits of 55, 65 MPH, everyone hammers it at the lights in their Corollas, Civics, Kias, etc. Those little econoboxes are quick and they always fly around me, then cut me off in waves. People here drive way over the speed limits too- 70 plus on back roads and 80-100 on the highway. Drive any slower than 80 and you are holding up traffic.

So- the question is which one will be the quickest to keep up the the lead footed traffic. I am thinking the 2 door will be lighter and with the 2.7 automatic will be the quickest. Old formula power to weight. And the 10 speed automatic is going to be quicker than any manual. Probably smaller tires although with proper gearing with the 35" tires it might not matter?

I am going with a 2 door and leaning on the 2.7 automatic. Still debating on Sas or not.......

Sponsored

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clearly this dude wants to be able to send it...

I’d go with a tuned 2.3, 2dr. with doors removed, rear bumper and tire removed, tailgate and rear seat removed as well.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess I'll give you that. (y) Although, if I saw two Jeeps racing down the road, I would laugh my *ss off.
My favorite part of the OP's Jeep racing video is when they did a "slo-mo" finish line shot and I was like, "No no, you didn't need to slow the video down, they were both already going slow enough at the finish to clearly see." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To be quick off the line, you want high power, low weight, good traction, and gearing. I'd put my money on a 2 door 2.7 Black Diamond.
- Faster spooling, more powerful engine
- Better 4.46 gearing (4.46 and 32" tires are slightly more advantageous than the base 3.73 and 30" tires)
- Lighter weight than the more heavily-optioned models
- Smaller tires than the higher models for less parasitic loss
**and everyone seems to be missing this**
- 4A transfer case

Sure, that Mustang can run a sub-5 second run to 60 on perfect, warm, clean, dry pavement. But what if it's a little cold? Or wet? Or there's some sand on the road? The Mustang will be left spinning while the Bronco RUNS away.

I have an MKX with the 2.7 and AWD. It's a blast to pull up to a stoplight, hold the brake and bring the revs up a little, then drop the brake and floor it. The front end rears up and the thing straight up hauls away with no spinning or drama of any kind.

If you want to compare spec sheet 0-60 times, it's not going to be that impressive. But once you're in the real world, most two wheel drive cars will struggle big time to put 300hp down off the line, so traction is king.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands