mnpontoon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
My dilemna/compromise with myself for getting a two door bronco, is that I would like to have a hitch mounted platform to deal with excess gear when space is at a premium. Unfortunately its not always apparent ahead of time when you are going to need that extra space.
My thought is to have a hitch mounted basket that I keep in the rear interior of the vehicle but can pull out and attach as needed if I have extra passengers (rear seats up), extra gear, etc.
I found this: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Carg...AyABEgIpkfD_BwE#exp-productdetails=.questions
which seems like a great option for maximizing space, but was wondering if anyone else had thought of a better solution for "modular" hitch storage

Of course I could keep a hitch mounted platform permanently attached, but then you are either dealing with a 2.5 ft. extension off the back all the time, or having to fold it down every time you want to open your tailgate. Neither are great options, and both are ugly...
Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thanks for sharing that one. Actually seems really convenient

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing for my 2 door. I had something like this in mind, mainly for firewood on long camping trips. Should be low enough to clear tailgate when opened as long as you don’t pile cargo up too high.
Ford Bronco Favorite Hitch Cargo Carrier - Folding 2BFDAABE-D7D7-40B1-B234-BD3E434F6851

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What about the over-the-spare racks? I've always like they way they look and would feel better not having something hanging from the hitch. I realize that the swing gate might need reinforcement (or even a separate tire/rack swing out), but still seems like a good option.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've always used a hitch carrier for the cooler at the beach. But recently have taken a look RucRak that is a spare tire mounted carrier/bike rack/table. You can get an added hitch support for increased payload support.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My dilemna/compromise with myself for getting a two door bronco, is that I would like to have a hitch mounted platform to deal with excess gear when space is at a premium. Unfortunately its not always apparent ahead of time when you are going to need that extra space.
My thought is to have a hitch mounted basket that I keep in the rear interior of the vehicle but can pull out and attach as needed if I have extra passengers (rear seats up), extra gear, etc.
I found this: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Carg...AyABEgIpkfD_BwE#exp-productdetails=.questions
which seems like a great option for maximizing space, but was wondering if anyone else had thought of a better solution for "modular" hitch storage

Of course I could keep a hitch mounted platform permanently attached, but then you are either dealing with a 2.5 ft. extension off the back all the time, or having to fold it down every time you want to open your tailgate. Neither are great options, and both are ugly...
Nice one. A little too high for loading deer, tho'...

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Kuat bike rack has this cam tightening system that you twist once it is mated to the receiver and it sort of expands inside and eliminates all of the wobble very nicely

Not sure if they have a traditional basket hitch but I'd look for that type of feature on others if they have it, especially for one that has to have an extension because of the spare

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My Kuat bike rack has this cam tightening system that you twist once it is mated to the receiver and it sort of expands inside and eliminates all of the wobble very nicely

Not sure if they have a traditional basket hitch but I'd look for that type of feature on others if they have it, especially for one that has to have an extension because of the spare
eTrailer carries a bunch of Anti-Rattle devices that help with this, if you need one, I never have.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Anti~Rattle.aspx
Sponsored