Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m almost settled on my build (FE LB Navy Pier) but I’m torn on which top to go with. I actually don’t mind the look of the MIC top, but everyone has me concerned that it will look terrible in a few years due to fading. I’m also curious about the weight difference and what that would mean to me practically speaking? I’ve never had a top off vehicle before so I’d appreciate any advice.
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it will be fine in a couple years. If not, buy another top. They will be available.
Mic should be lighter.
No difference practically speaking, cept maybe windows are removable on mod top, which in all practicality you will never remove.
Any way you go will be fine.
But like i said, if you don't end up liking your top buy another

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m almost settled on my build (FE LB Navy Pier) but I’m torn on which top to go with. I actually don’t mind the look of the MIC top, but everyone has me concerned that it will look terrible in a few years due to fading. I’m also curious about the weight difference and what that would mean to me practically speaking? I’ve never had a top off vehicle before so I’d appreciate any advice.
There are products to mitigate fading as well as restore plastic that has faded.

Look at 303 products and Solution Finish.

The modular roof will be heavier. That will make it a bit tougher to remove and install but will still be quite manageable. Damaging the paint on the modular is the real concern when handling it. The MIC to will stand up to abuse better.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are products to mitigate fading as well as restore plastic that has faded.

The modular roof will be heavier. That will make it a bit tougher to remove and install but will still be quite manageable. Damaging the paint on the modular is the real concern when handling it. The MIC to will stand up to abuse better.
Dog gone it, I wanted to say that. :)

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Flip side is, wait for the way it was promised to you

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don’t think the issue is that it will fade. The issue is that it being gray in color, it already looks faded. If you like the gray, go for it. ?

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I plan to apply PPF to the top to help protect against scratches

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't mind the MIC top, either, since it'll only be on half the year. BUT they don't appear to be available on order, so I end up with the stock softtop and have to buy the MIC later? I'd much rather get the MIC now and for that money, get the softop from Best Top! They're Ultratop is superior.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not going to fade. The lower weight will be a bit helpful when removing it, but the main issue with removing the tops isn't the wait, it's the awkwardness.

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry for the extra post, but i was thinking, get the one that insulates better, for heat and sound.

I don't know which that would be

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't mind the MIC top, either, since it'll only be on half the year. BUT they don't appear to be available on order, so I end up with the stock softtop and have to buy the MIC later? I'd much rather get the MIC now and for that money, get the softop from Best Top! They're Ultratop is superior.
The problem is, if you go with the soft top now, they don't add the hardware and wiring for the rear wiper ( afaik ). Doing it later may be difficult and $$$.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The problem is, if you go with the soft top now, they don't add the hardware and wiring for the rear wiper ( afaik ). Doing it later may be difficult and $$$.
I'm not seeing that I have a choice but to get the sofftop. Maybe I misread that?

Looking at B&P again, I guess I can get the MIC...or the soft, just not both (late available), which makes no sense since they're both available. Unless they're just allocating so everyone gets a top.

Dang, was feeling happy to realize that I can get the MIC top....but it's 695! If I could get dual tops, only another 1100.....For the Best Top Ultra, it's 2k....so have to spend another 1k to get that. Argh. And you're right, if I skip to the soft top, I don't get wired. I don't know that I care that much, but then I end up with a top I don't prefer and have to buy the MIC later...decisions decisions.

Last edited:

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
With LB, I think the MIC top will look fine - with the CO that I'm planning to order, I'm concerned the MIC will look really dull so I'm going with the MOD top.

I'm also considering a minor vinyl wrap for a semi heritage look - I've been told the vinyl will adhere better to a smooth painted surface.

If you are not happy with the MIC top, I think you could easily change the color or freshen it up with a Line-X coating.

wolfman064

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Land Rover Discovery TD6
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m going through the same analysis now. Settled on LB exterior, and was originally going to wait on the black interior and black top. I’ve now flipped and am planning to go with navy pier and MIC. My thought is, I’d really like a white top at some point in the future - I love the heritage look. By not adding the modular top now, I save the $1895 that I can apply in the future to a white top from the Parts counter (knowing it will cost more than that, but that’s probably at least half), or I could try to paint or white line-x the MIC top. In either event, while I am partial to black interiors, I also think navy pier would look better with a white top (navy pier is not as nice as black, but I also don’t think it’s as bad as some on the boards think). There’s also the benefit of not putting my FE reservation into the dreaded “late availability” category, as I’m still unsure as to how late that makes delivery.

As to fading - I have had Jeep tops and black tonneau covers in the Texas summers and never seen much fading. There are plenty of sealers or restoring agents that also can help protect your top as well. But luckily, the top isn’t permanent and can also be swapped or replaced in the future.
Sponsored