Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I got finally got to see the Bronco in person today when they visited my hometown of Richmond, VA.

I’ve read a lot of these first impressions and some of the things I’ve read finally made sense. Reading is no substitute for seeing with your own eyes, so I suspect you’ll just need to see and feel it for yourself and formulate your own opinion.

I should say that I’m a die hard Ford fan and have owned several early and full sized Broncos along with a slew of other Ford products over the years.

My quick initial impressions:

1. Overall they look great in real life. I was giddy pulling the dealer and couldn’t stop grinning as I approached the tent and finally saw them.

2. 33” tires on the Badlands look very good and plenty big in person. Looking back at my pictures they look tiny, but they don’t look undersized at all when viewed in person. The 35’s do look better to me, but I would be fine with 33’s

3. The engine compartment certainly has a lot going on, but did not look as terrible as the photos may make it seem.

4. The interior had plenty of headroom and legroom both front and rear in the 4door, but was maybe tighter than I was expecting widthwise. Not uncomfortable, but certainly close quarters and nowhere near F-150 space. Similar to Ranger which is logical. I’m 6’1” & 225lbs. There was also easily another 5” of headroom in the soft top versions above my big head. There was a kid there who was 6’5” and he said he fit with no issues too.

5. The Sasquatch BD was very easy for me to get in and out of. I had expected it to be higher and more of a climb to get into.

6. As a huge Ford and Bronco enthusiast I really don’t want to be critical of anything, but to put it politely I feel that they chose function over form when it came to the interior. I do understand they designed this to be a serious top down off roader and prioritized the interior to be water resistant for off-roading and because folks will inevitably get caught in a downpour with the top and doors off. I liked the different feel of the “encapsulated” or rubberized switchgear on the dash and steering wheel and the seats were plenty comfy. Styling or design wise it all visually looks great, but the interior cargo area, dashboard, door panels, and center console were all hard, thin looking plastics. While this is probably the best option for not being damaged by water, to me the materials looked and felt kind of cheap, flimsy or chintzy. I noticed the center console grab handle was really flexy too. It pains me to type that stuff, but it was how I felt during the brief viewing. I’m just sharing my honest first impression. Just my .02

7. I wasn’t a huge fan of the marine grade vinyl. It was plenty soft and comfortable and again I’m sure it’ll do well serving the intended purpose of being water and mildew resistant, but it didn’t look particularly nice to me especially on a $50,000 or $60,000 machine. This is obviously a subjective thing.

8. The flip up feature of the soft top in the cargo area is brilliant. I briefly owned a ‘15 Wrangler with a soft top and HATED trying to load cargo in through the tailgate with the back window in place. A full bag of groceries would not go into the cargo area without turning it over on it’s side first. Rolling up the back vinyl window was tedious. The flip up clamshell top appears to address this problem very well.

9. As others have said, the factory soft top is not insulated and appears to be a single layer that leaves the metal framework exposed. The last time I looked at Jeep the base vinyl top is grey, looks cheap and doesn’t age well. While Bronco’s top looks far superior with the nice black cloth or twill exterior, it still looks a little utilitarian or unfinished on the inside. I suspect it’ll also be noticeably louder than a multi layer top. My wrangler had the optional “sun rider” top from Bestop that I think had 3 layers. Twill exterior which looks nice like the Bronco’s exterior, but with a layer of rubber presumably for insulation, noise deadening, and water proofing, and then an interior headliner layer to make it all look nice. I don’t remember any framework being visible.

10. I didn’t mind the “Bo” bar. Being OCD, it does bother me that it covers the Bronco on the grill but it still looks good. I think the redesign rumors are just rumor. I don’t see how they could lower it and not block the camera or raise it and not look goofy and/or still block some letters.

sorry for the long post. in summary, I’m still super stoked about the Bronco and can’t wait to take delivery of mine. Clearly the team at Ford put A LOT of thought into the details and succeeded in making significant and well thought out design improvements compared to the primary competitor. But a few aspects of the interior (and lack of a V8) were a little bit of a disappointment to me on what would otherwise be my dream vehicle.

here are the pics:
DD4DD177-ABAE-4B7C-8655-DCEB7BC65B8A.jpeg

327CCD58-CDF5-4B48-83E1-71E484ECB6D6.jpeg

7DA5AFE3-18F1-44E2-AB3C-C1DF0EDD02AC.jpeg

D414520A-5F64-4978-AFA3-482524CB106C.jpeg

56535AC7-74A9-49A3-BB94-5ADB2BCA579A.jpeg

8F686CF0-1D0D-418A-BB95-5740085BED66.jpeg

F1ADEFF4-869C-44E2-8E24-2E410E656972.jpeg

3B647017-ECEE-4A85-96FA-F4770AAAB445.jpeg

63DCCC9A-9BE2-444C-A945-71DEF262F80E.jpeg

A5DC7EC2-55DD-4B2F-9E95-5043ED03EA4D.jpeg

12EA6A84-7D80-4604-8189-B3710A623904.jpeg

BD drive away after the event:
The 33s do look tiny in the pictures
Sponsored

Burnsy2012

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Were you able to take a close look at the cargo area and back of 2nd row seats for the MGV? I have heard conflicting pieces of information from Ford reps as to whether or not these are still the carpeted material or if they have made them more wash-out-worthy. Unfortunately, the event I went to only had leather seating so I couldn't poke around for myself.

Thomas1984

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I got finally got to see the Bronco in person today when they visited my hometown of Richmond, VA.

I’ve read a lot of these first impressions and some of the things I’ve read finally made sense. Reading is no substitute for seeing with your own eyes, so I suspect you’ll just need to see and feel it for yourself and formulate your own opinion.

I should say that I’m a die hard Ford fan and have owned several early and full sized Broncos along with a slew of other Ford products over the years.

My quick initial impressions:

1. Overall they look great in real life. I was giddy pulling the dealer and couldn’t stop grinning as I approached the tent and finally saw them.

2. 33” tires on the Badlands look very good and plenty big in person. Looking back at my pictures they look tiny, but they don’t look undersized at all when viewed in person. The 35’s do look better to me, but I would be fine with 33’s

3. The engine compartment certainly has a lot going on, but did not look as terrible as the photos may make it seem.

4. The interior had plenty of headroom and legroom both front and rear in the 4door, but was maybe tighter than I was expecting widthwise. Not uncomfortable, but certainly close quarters and nowhere near F-150 space. Similar to Ranger which is logical. I’m 6’1” & 225lbs. There was also easily another 5” of headroom in the soft top versions above my big head. There was a kid there who was 6’5” and he said he fit with no issues too.

5. The Sasquatch BD was very easy for me to get in and out of. I had expected it to be higher and more of a climb to get into.

6. As a huge Ford and Bronco enthusiast I really don’t want to be critical of anything, but to put it politely I feel that they chose function over form when it came to the interior. I do understand they designed this to be a serious top down off roader and prioritized the interior to be water resistant for off-roading and because folks will inevitably get caught in a downpour with the top and doors off. I liked the different feel of the “encapsulated” or rubberized switchgear on the dash and steering wheel and the seats were plenty comfy. Styling or design wise it all visually looks great, but the interior cargo area, dashboard, door panels, and center console were all hard, thin looking plastics. While this is probably the best option for not being damaged by water, to me the materials looked and felt kind of cheap, flimsy or chintzy. I noticed the center console grab handle was really flexy too. It pains me to type that stuff, but it was how I felt during the brief viewing. I’m just sharing my honest first impression. Just my .02

7. I wasn’t a huge fan of the marine grade vinyl. It was plenty soft and comfortable and again I’m sure it’ll do well serving the intended purpose of being water and mildew resistant, but it didn’t look particularly nice to me especially on a $50,000 or $60,000 machine. This is obviously a subjective thing.

8. The flip up feature of the soft top in the cargo area is brilliant. I briefly owned a ‘15 Wrangler with a soft top and HATED trying to load cargo in through the tailgate with the back window in place. A full bag of groceries would not go into the cargo area without turning it over on it’s side first. Rolling up the back vinyl window was tedious. The flip up clamshell top appears to address this problem very well.

9. As others have said, the factory soft top is not insulated and appears to be a single layer that leaves the metal framework exposed. The last time I looked at Jeep the base vinyl top is grey, looks cheap and doesn’t age well. While Bronco’s top looks far superior with the nice black cloth or twill exterior, it still looks a little utilitarian or unfinished on the inside. I suspect it’ll also be noticeably louder than a multi layer top. My wrangler had the optional “sun rider” top from Bestop that I think had 3 layers. Twill exterior which looks nice like the Bronco’s exterior, but with a layer of rubber presumably for insulation, noise deadening, and water proofing, and then an interior headliner layer to make it all look nice. I don’t remember any framework being visible.

10. I didn’t mind the “Bo” bar. Being OCD, it does bother me that it covers the Bronco on the grill but it still looks good. I think the redesign rumors are just rumor. I don’t see how they could lower it and not block the camera or raise it and not look goofy and/or still block some letters.

sorry for the long post. in summary, I’m still super stoked about the Bronco and can’t wait to take delivery of mine. Clearly the team at Ford put A LOT of thought into the details and succeeded in making significant and well thought out design improvements compared to the primary competitor. But a few aspects of the interior (and lack of a V8) were a little bit of a disappointment to me on what would otherwise be my dream vehicle.

here are the pics:
DD4DD177-ABAE-4B7C-8655-DCEB7BC65B8A.jpeg

327CCD58-CDF5-4B48-83E1-71E484ECB6D6.jpeg

7DA5AFE3-18F1-44E2-AB3C-C1DF0EDD02AC.jpeg

D414520A-5F64-4978-AFA3-482524CB106C.jpeg

56535AC7-74A9-49A3-BB94-5ADB2BCA579A.jpeg

8F686CF0-1D0D-418A-BB95-5740085BED66.jpeg

F1ADEFF4-869C-44E2-8E24-2E410E656972.jpeg

3B647017-ECEE-4A85-96FA-F4770AAAB445.jpeg

63DCCC9A-9BE2-444C-A945-71DEF262F80E.jpeg

A5DC7EC2-55DD-4B2F-9E95-5043ED03EA4D.jpeg

12EA6A84-7D80-4604-8189-B3710A623904.jpeg

BD drive away after the event:
Great post! I’m glad the 33” tires don’t look to small in person, im also glad the silver badlands in your pictures had the 33” ko2’s, it looks sweet on the bronco, I recently contacted my dealer to switch from the Goodyear mt’s

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
The look and feel I guess. It was just different than I was expecting. I thought it was going to be thicker and more durable feeling. In hindsight it’s probably better the way it is. It was pretty soft and plush or compliant. Very comfortable during the brief experience. It’s just clearly apparent that it is a plastic/vinyl synthetic material.

so I guess like you said. Not what I’d expect for $60k. But I do realize that it has a very specific job to do. Water & mildew resistance.
I know reviewers love so called "soft touch", but veneers used to convey "perceived quality" have never impressed me. Hard plastic that is well fitted and textured is more durable and longer lasting. Save the polystyrene and glued on wood for Lexus and Land Rover. Good old hard plastic works for me -- just make it look and fit good.

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks @SuperFord, this is a very good post. I was also there and very pleased with what I saw in the Bronco. I will not add any pics but I will share a few brief first impressions that I also shared on another platform.

Disclaimer: I have driven a Wrangler on several occasions but I have not owned one.

BLUF (Bottom Line Upfront): Wow! It is well worth the wait.
Stance: Classy, Confident, Capable
Exterior: From the front it has a very full and almost imposing look. It is minimal with a classic yet modern feel.
Interior: Front seat area is more like a cockpit. It is functional and very well laid out. The front seats felt just as good as my Volvo XC60, and that is saying a lot! The rear is roomy and open. The MGV seats felt very soft but durable and almost cool to the touch; more like soft leather than other vinyls that I have have seen in vehicles. The cargo area maximizes the space very well and the swing gate opening is very wide.
Pros: This is a vehicular multi-tool. Every space and component seems to contribute to its utility.
Cons: Ok, if I have to! The unknowns - reliability and durability.
Wife and Daughter's Impressions: Nice looking, Symmetrical, Accessible and Comfortable
Compared to Wrangler: Night and day difference in the system integration, accessibility and comfort. The Wrangler in comparison (IMHO) is instantly antiquated, tight and the space is not used as efficiently. This is not a one up on Wrangler but a reinterpretation. I see elements of the Wrangler, 4Runner, Land Rover and others in this package. While it may appear a lot like a Wrangler in configuration the Bronco differentiates itself immediately. The Bronco makes use of everything that is available right now without having to bow to the technological gods of the past. Ok, that might get me some flak but it is my honest opinion.
Conclusion: This Bronco is a big promise from Ford and big promises demand big follow through. Ford must remain focused for years to come to reestablish the Bronco and keep it competitive and from all I see I think they are committed.
Saddle up, it is going to be a Wild Ride!

Sponsored

claude.r

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hell yeah fellow RVA-er! Central Virginians gotta have a meet up once we all get our Broncos!

MISSJD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Cabrio
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m going to the event tomorrow at Battlefield Ford. Hopefully it’s the same two trucks...I’d like to see a Badlands non sas next to a Sasquatch for comparison.
Manassas or Culpepper?

OP
OP
SuperFord

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Curious what you meant by "thin". Also, from touching things and moving things - do you feel like the inevitable rattles will happen sooner rather than later, etc? 👍
The interior trim including the dash, center console, rear cargo area (inner quarter panels), door panels were just hard plastic. No soft touch points that I can recall other than the seats, steering wheel, and center armrest I believe. The seats were super comfy btw, but the above plastics just struck me as looking thin and flimsy almost like a thin hard shell in a lot of cases. Even the Bronco badge on the console with the torx screws that said “engineered in Dearborn” or whatever seemed thin and somehow less than a “plate” or “badge” with any mass to it. Rattles didn’t come to mind, I was more worried about the stuff potentially cracking or getting brittle from the way some of it looked to me.

Idk. Hopefully just preproduction stuff or me being hyper critical??? I am definitely an OCD weirdo.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The interior trim including the dash, center console, rear cargo area (inner quarter panels), door panels were just hard plastic. No soft touch points that I can recall other than the seats, steering wheel, and center armrest I believe. The seats were super comfy btw, but the above plastics just struck me as looking thin and flimsy almost like a thin hard shell in a lot of cases. Even the Bronco badge on the console with the torx screws that said “engineered in Dearborn” or whatever seemed thin and somehow less than a “plate” or “badge” with any mass to it. Rattles didn’t come to mind, I was more worried about the stuff potentially cracking or getting brittle from the way some of it looked to me.

Idk. Hopefully just preproduction stuff or me being hyper critical??? I am definitely an OCD weirdo.
Thanks for the verify. I think I know what you mean now. Not necessarily "weak" but just not having the appearance of "robust".

Sponsored
OP
OP
SuperFord

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Were you able to take a close look at the cargo area and back of 2nd row seats for the MGV? I have heard conflicting pieces of information from Ford reps as to whether or not these are still the carpeted material or if they have made them more wash-out-worthy.
I don’t think I paid attention to the BD, but the seat backs in the BL were carpeted. both of these were MGV seating surfaces. I do have some photos of the cargo area in the BL after I folded the seats down I can zoom in on.

Ford Bronco Feedback & pics from  Bronco event in Richmond, Virginia: Badlands on 33's + Black Diamond 7BD4C379-E973-4FE1-B415-32C723507E51
Ford Bronco Feedback & pics from  Bronco event in Richmond, Virginia: Badlands on 33's + Black Diamond 70BF3A2C-DE2C-4069-BC92-A3BFF6B5A8F2
Ford Bronco Feedback & pics from  Bronco event in Richmond, Virginia: Badlands on 33's + Black Diamond 481CDA0B-50AF-4EE6-9BF9-70740DF61E7C

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was also at the Richmond Bronco event and i specifically asked one of the Bronco reps about the Brush Guard re-design and they mentioned they had heard the rumor but could not confirm or deny the rumor. I replied to them that the only way to get the brush guard to work would be to lower it and change the angle outward more and they nodded in agreement.

I did inquire about how removable the Bronco letters on the grille are and it was determined they are bolted on but it could not be confirmed without removing the grille.

I tried to see if there were any mounting points for the aftermarket or even the pre-production BYOD rails we have seen, the dash will have to be drilled to add those items.

Dash.jpg

I am glad AMB Sasquatch was there. I have a 4x4 Silverado and getting into the BL felt find but the BD Sas i noticed i had to step up more to get into. I really wanted there to be a door sill protector to use rather than the paint.

I know the front plate location keeps moving around so i spent a good bit of time looking at where else to put the front plate and i determined i am going to mount mine on the skid plates.
BD Bronco1.jpg
That was my thought to for the license plate, but I'm gonna keep it inside and see how long it takes before I get pulled over and issued a fix-it ticket 😉

Last edited:

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of them is missing on one of these rigs. I dont recall which. At least at the Virginia Beach event it was. Maybe they have spares with them
The original drain plug design had metal chains but then that Damn GVWR got in the way 😜
Sponsored