Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If and when I ever get my Bronco one thing I’ve been pondering is how fragile the fender flare connection points look. I have several places on my F250 with sheet metal like that, and they seem prone to rust quick. Anyone thinking of ways to give those areas some extra life proactively? I’m worried in three years they are rusted through and they will no longer hold the fenders securely. I guess permanent fender flare are always an option? Thoughts? As an example could we coat them with bed liner, my fear is that may mess up the way the flares seat themselves?
Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If and when I ever get my Bronco one thing I’ve been pondering is how fragile the fender flare connection points look. I have several places on my F250 with sheet metal like that, and they seem prone to rust quick. Anyone thinking of ways to give those areas some extra life proactively? I’m worried in three years they are rusted through and they will no longer hold the fenders securely. I guess permanent fender flare are always an option? Thoughts? As an example could we coat them with bed liner, my fear is that may mess up the way the flares seat themselves?
Aren't the fenders on the Bronco aluminum?

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive never even seen rust on a vehicle before... but 125f does funny things to plastic. We shall see. Ford does hot weather vehicle testing a few miles from my house. Never a good sign, is it?

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sadly I see quite a few Police reports for stolen Bronco fenders as soon as the crooks find out how easy they are to remove. Hopefully the aftermarket will come up with some type of locks, or something else to make it a bit more difficult to remove those things.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Aluminum doesn’t rust.
Well, "rust" is simply corrosion (oxidization) of iron-based metals. Aluminum does corrode too. Maybe some aftermarket will make stainless steel fenders.

I'm wondering how rust proof the Bronco frame will be and the best way to prevent it from rusting.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, "rust" is simply corrosion (oxidization) of iron-based metals. Aluminum does corrode too. Maybe some aftermarket will make stainless steel fenders.

I'm wondering how rust proof the Bronco frame will be and the best way to prevent it from rusting.
Aluminum builds up an oxide layer that prevents further corrosion.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Aluminum builds up an oxide layer that prevents further corrosion.
True, but it depends on the alloy used, the environment it is used in, and the application of the part. It's not like aluminum is some magic material that gets surface corrosion and that's it; it still can fail due to corrosion.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You are way over thinking this, you sound like a fellow aerospace engineer?

The flat, ribbed aluminum fender area, with the holes for the flares is at least 10 times the strength of the lightweight plastic flares. They are not going anywhere unless you leave the quarter turn fasteners unlocked.

Let us know what you find out after you run your model.
https://www.simscale.com/product/fea/

Sponsored

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True, but it depends on the alloy used, the environment it is used in, and the application of the part. It's not like aluminum is some magic material that gets surface corrosion and that's it; it still can fail due to corrosion.
The only real concern is galvanic corrosion. Paint is an adequate buffer between steel and aluminum. Steel fasteners also can be plated or galvanized to help prevent corrosion between the two dissimilar metals. Both surfaces can and do break down under poor conditions. I rate It as a very minor risk though, but something I’ll check every few years or whenever it comes to mind.

over torquing and otherwise damaging the protective coating is the avoidable risk Bronco owners should consider

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sadly I see quite a few Police reports for stolen Bronco fenders as soon as the crooks find out how easy they are to remove. Hopefully the aftermarket will come up with some type of locks, or something else to make it a bit more difficult to remove those things.
I’ve seen this reposted over and over and I think it’s kind of silly. The market for used fender flares isn’t going to be big enough for thieves to give a crap about these. You will get the oddball A-hole with a damaged fender flare on their bronco that will “borrow” yours but thieves won’t be targeting these.

It’s not like catalytic converters where they can scrap them for cash. They would need to sell them on eBay or something. Wouldn’t be worth anyone’s time.

MattyAg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only real concern is galvanic corrosion. Paint is an adequate buffer between steel and aluminum. Steel fasteners also can be plated or galvanized to help prevent corrosion between the two dissimilar metals. Both surfaces can and do break down under poor conditions. I rate It as a very minor risk though, but something I’ll check every few years or whenever it comes to mind.

over torquing and otherwise damaging the protective coating is the avoidable risk Bronco owners should consider
It’s best to clean aluminum with mercury. Just a couple drops will do. Shines like brand new /s 😜🤣

Deleted member 3063

as far as I know the Toyota Tundra and certain Jeep products are bench marks on what not to do.
in 40yrs of driving Ford trucks not one had any significant frame rust.