First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Instead of bickering about V8’s and crank windows how about an actual discussion?

Will the Bronco be like most vehicles and have a fixed fender? Or will it be removable like a Wrangler. I guess this kinda goes with width as well, since if the flares are removable it will likely be a larger vehicle overall in the width department. May make it even closer to that full size bronco so many are looking for.
Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
As a wise man once said on this very forum, everything is removable.

As far as “easy” removal, I personally highly doubt it. The tarp picture may show some flare bumps that indicates some flares that may unscrew so you can swap out with bigger flares,, but I can’t imagine that streamlined looking box having any protruding panels or fenders that zip off like on a wrangler.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As a wise man once said on this very forum, everything is removable.

As far as “easy” removal, I personally highly doubt it. The tarp picture may show some flare bumps that indicates some flares that may unscrew so you can swap out with bigger flares,, but I can’t imagine that streamlined looking box having any protruding panels or fenders that zip off like on a wrangler.
I agree. They have to meet federal regulations so it'll be understood that you change 'em out when you get home! haha

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Will the Bronco be like most vehicles and have a fixed fender? Or will it be removable like a Wrangler. I guess this kinda goes with width as well, since if the flares are removable it will likely be a larger vehicle overall in the width department. May make it even closer to that full size bronco so many are looking for.
It doesn't need to be as wide as a garbage truck in order to have protruding removable flares, the Wrangler proves that.

I would actually very much like to see the body at 68-70" with an outside track matching the Ranger/Wrangler at 73-74". That would just mean the flares protruded half as much, but you got a few more inches of shoulder/interior space. Goldilocks.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I can't think of any models that have done this in the past, but it seems like a fairly simple implementation (with potential for additional revenue until the aftermarket makes them for cheaper) that would set Ford apart in the industry as far as making the Bronco more easily customizable. My guess is if it will come stock (in higher trim levels) with 33"s, it *should* comfortably fit 35"s without modification... those that want to fit 37"s and larger would have the option of swapping flares. It may be too small a niche for them to bother with, though.

It may be wishful thinking, but I would sure be more inclined to mod something that I can easily and cheaply replace rather than cut sheetmetal and repaint my $45k toy.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd probably be unlikely to swap out the stock flares for anything more roomy, but I'd certainly be in favor of there being an easily replaceable plastic piece if they get damaged rather than having to replace the entire fender.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If it doesn't have a substantially removable flare that is a good part of the
fender and 1/4, it will be one more reason Jeep has zero to fear.

Ideally removing it leaves a decent size larger wheelwell, so new wider flares
can be made with larger radius to make big tires look they belong.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Personally, I don’t care too much. But I think flares would make it look awkward and would cause design constraints. Plus, with so many people wanting it to be as narrow as possible, I don’t get why those people all seem to want flares that will make it even wider when it’ll already likely be wider than its competitor without them

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... with so many people wanting it to be as narrow as possible, I don’t get why those people all seem to want flares that will make it even wider when it’ll already likely be wider than its competitor without them
Two different measurements. Other than the possibility for a 'Raptorized' trim, it is fairly unlikely that the Bronco will be wider than the Wrangler's overall width -- most Rangers are an inch narrower. A narrow body width provides greater maneuverability in multiple common off road maneuvers, and it's unclear how wide the Bronco body is compared to Ranger/Wrangler.

By the look of these early models there is some wheel/tire protrusion that would warrant fenders beyond what the Ford trucks would need.
Blue Broncos.png

Broncos n trucks.png

Bronco hood camber.jpg

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Two different measurements. Other than the possibility for a 'Raptorized' trim, it is fairly unlikely that the Bronco will be wider than the Wrangler's overall width -- most Rangers are an inch narrower. A narrow body width provides greater maneuverability in multiple common off road maneuvers, and it's unclear how wide the Bronco body is compared to Ranger/Wrangler.

By the look of these early models there is some wheel/tire protrusion that would warrant fenders beyond what the Ford trucks would need.
Blue Broncos.png

Broncos n trucks.png

Bronco hood camber.jpg

Sorry, I was thinking the Rangers are an inch WIDER than the Wrangler, not vice versa. Regardless, I don't see much reason to want Ford to ADD width beyond that and ultimately be wider than the Wrangler. Perhaps there will be some sort of fender flare to cover some wheel protrusion, but I personally think it could cause some design constraints (perhaps it was a contributor to the whole redesign that was rumored to have happened because the original concept looked too much like a jeep?)

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it is fairly unlikely that the Bronco will be wider than the Wrangler's overall width -- most Rangers are an inch narrower
I've been paying close attention to dimensions because I think L/W/H really sets the tone for style. I believe Gen 1 Bronco is 68.5". From the specs I've seen on-line, both 2019 Ranger and Wrangler are 73" + a fraction. One of the forum folks here firmly stated new Bronco width would be "slightly" more than Wrangler.

But I'm neither an expert nor an insider...if you know differently, speak up.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Personally, I don’t care too much. But I think flares would make it look awkward and would cause design constraints. Plus, with so many people wanting it to be as narrow as possible, I don’t get why those people all seem to want flares that will make it even wider when it’ll already likely be wider than its competitor without them
I'm calling it a "flare", but what I'd really want is the ability to unbolt part of the fender that leaves
a larger wheelwell and then allows either a factory or aftermarket flare to be added, if desired.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been paying close attention to dimensions because I think L/W/H really sets the tone for style. I believe Gen 1 Bronco is 68.5". From the specs I've seen on-line, both 2019 Ranger and Wrangler are 73" + a fraction. One of the forum folks here firmly stated new Bronco width would be "slightly" more than Wrangler....
We don't know if the BroncoBronco is 8" wide or 10', because we know absolutely no objective properties of the super secret model. It could be a sphere made of Playdough for all we know, that could be "not wimpy" and "twice as cool" as some rando thought.

Reasonable estimations are probably going to give it a structural width very comparable to the Ranger, because the two models will share some portion of a chassis, but we know about as much about that Ranger as we do the BroncoBronco because it will come out a year or more later, and possibly borrow a lot more than a chassis from the BroncoBronco. The Ranger we do know about is as you say only slightly over half an inch narrower than the theoretical competitor, Wrangler (I round .3 down and .9 up and call it an inch).

For all we know though the two models will have different suspension or axles in addition to sheet metal and they could differ by several inches either way, but a large difference seems less probable for logistical reasons.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm calling it a "flare", but what I'd really want is the ability to unbolt part of the fender that leaves
a larger wheelwell and then allows either a factory or aftermarket flare to be added, if desired.
This.

An insert - not necessarily a "flare" that adds width for a wider tire, but one that makes the stock tires appear to be a comfortable size within a wheel well designed to accept a tire a few sizes larger. Removing or replacing it with another size insert will allow for a larger diameter tire, up to and including removing it entirely for the maximum diameter. Sure, some will want and someone will make different "flares" of different dimensions for wider tires as well. It would allow for aftermarket wheel/tire combinations without cutting sheetmetal, and the ability to make the most common wheel/tire upgrades look "right" on the body.

There was a time when it seemed like almost every early Bronco on the road (and off) had either bolt-on or molded in flares... of course, that was when they came with super skinny tires, and almost everyone changed them to something larger. With rumors of a wheel well able to accommodate a 33" stock, this may not be as big a deal in the new Bronco. I doubt the possibility of customer upgrades escaped the imagination of Ford designers and engineers, it just remains to be seen how much latitude they are giving it and how they intend to deal with it.

Myself, I don't *think* I'd ever run a 37" or greater, but it would be nice to have that option easily available without cutting sheetmetal. It just makes the vehicle more appealing to a broader range of potential buyers.
Sponsored