Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, we had a heck of a time! I only wish I had more days off work to get more out of the journey, I’m sure there were a ton of sights to see that I missed! Did you drive the route that goes through Banff?
No we went up through Vancouver, Whistler, then up to Whitehorse. The whole trip was almost 3 weeks. From Fairbanks, we actually continued north up to Coldfoot, with plans to take a float plane and camp out on a remote lake. Once we got to the airport they informed us that no flights would be taking off for a few days due to forest fires. We ended up going south and camping in Denali instead.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Almost forgot, here are some trip stats as reported by the bronco. There are a few extra miles from driving around Fairbanks for a few days. I think the base tire setup ain’t bad for fuel economy, though it kind of looks like I’m driving around on castor wheels 😅
DD7CA72B-26BA-4C1B-84EB-65C7097A17E6.jpeg
@FerkinBlonco
My rough calculation says you averaged 60 MPH speed overall, guessing you drove more like 65 MPH on the highway stretches, correct?

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@FerkinBlonco I'm in Fairbanks today, might be meeting up with another Bronco owner if you have time? Will probably be dinner time or so.

Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got to get back there someday, I did the IBA "Ultimate Coast to Coast" (Key West to Prudoe Bay) back in 2004.

You aren't kidding about mosquitoes up there, when I stopped to take pictures on Haul Road above the Artic Circle gigantic mosquitoes were swarming me. If I held perfectly still they wouldn't really bother me, but any movement and they were all over me.

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] UCC 295

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] 042dawsoncreek

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] 236grizzly

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] 092valdezoverlook

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] 084valdezride

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] alaskaarctic

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] UCC 121

Ford Bronco FerkinBlonco’s Drive to Alaska Trip Log [Completed] UCC 186

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I spent 40+ years in the 907, it is always good to see it and it will always be home but after a few decades it closes in and becomes a sort of "island"...have fun and enjoy.
AK had a very active ADV rider group, rode many a mile up there on a Pegaso, GS and Tiger. If you haven't heard about the Dust to Dawson ride, check it out. Solstice weekend or as close as can be done in Dawson, the Taylor and Top of the World highways are great rides on a dual sport.

OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
@FerkinBlonco I'm in Fairbanks today, might be meeting up with another Bronco owner if you have time? Will probably be dinner time or so.
Whoops, I was just browsing this thread again and saw your post. Sorry that I missed ya, it would have been fun to say hi!

OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks amazing , Please share your adventures. Congrats on your move.🥳
Will do! Now that winter is officially here I'm going to see what the thing can do in extreme cold :D at the very least I'm excited to get a photo of my thermometer when it's -40 out... not something I've experienced before!

OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
@FerkinBlonco
My rough calculation says you averaged 60 MPH speed overall, guessing you drove more like 65 MPH on the highway stretches, correct?
Our speed was more or less all over the place. We had a few stretches of what I'd call real highway (I-90 or I-5 like driving) but a lot of the stretches we rode were 2-lane, and the last several hundred miles were extremely rough and variable (Al-Can highway). Trying not to outrun the U-haul probably didn't help with keeping a high average speed, either.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got to get back there someday, I did the IBA "Ultimate Coast to Coast" (Key West to Prudoe Bay) back in 2004.

You aren't kidding about mosquitoes up there, when I stopped to take pictures on Haul Road above the Artic Circle gigantic mosquitoes were swarming me. If I held perfectly still they wouldn't really bother me, but any movement and they were all over me.

UCC 295.jpg

042dawsoncreek.jpg

236grizzly.jpg

092valdezoverlook.jpg

084valdezride.jpg

alaskaarctic.jpg

UCC 121.jpg

UCC 186.jpg
What a road trip! I'm looking forward to dusting off my KLR and exploring come next summer. I'd really like to get up to the northernmost bits of AK at some point, it seems like it would be an awesome MC trip, barring mosquitoes :) those pics make me miss my Ninja 1000, that was an awesome sport touring road trip machine but I sold it because I thought it wouldn't be too useful up here. From the looks of it I was totally wrong (cries silently). Thanks for sharing!

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Whoops, I was just browsing this thread again and saw your post. Sorry that I missed ya, it would have been fun to say hi!
Haha no problem, maybe next time. I try to get up there yearly to hit Chena.
Sponsored