Sponsored

File this under the category - What are the chances?

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco File this under the category - What are the chances? 20211031_144333

First, I’m a “lurker” here at B6G… I read a lot, and remark very infrequently. What follows is a story of several highly improbable events which led to a ‘21 Bronco in my driveway.

So, my Bronco reservation was made a while ago; my order had been converted; and I was reasonably certain I would take delivery of a new Bronco sometime in a millennium beginning with the number “2”. At least, that was my hope.

About 8 or 9 months ago, the wife and I were out for breakfast at a local café. Due to CoVID, dining was outside. A couple drove up in a new Ford SUV (an Edge as I recall), and took a seat at the table next to us. We struck up a conversation about the car they drove up in, as well as my 92 Eddie Bauer Bronco which was parked nearby. As it turns out, this couple owns the Ford dealership in the city we had just moved from about 18 months earlier (about a 30-minute drive from where we currently live). We had previously purchased several new and used vehicles from his dealership, but never met him before (having only dealt with his staff).

Fast forward to a little over a week ago. October 28, I was tasked with transporting one of my in-laws to a medical appointment. As I started to pull out of my driveway, I glanced to my right – and spied a 2021 carbonized grey 2-door Outer Banks Bronco 2.0 hard-top parked in a neighbor’s driveway, about 5 houses down the street. Outside of clearly NOT being a sasquatch package, it appeared to largely be what I had on order from Ford. So, I turned left – and proceeded to take my in-law to her medical appointment.

Shortly after leaving my house, I called my wife, who was at home at the time, and asked her to walk down the driveway and look to her right to see a Bronco which appeared to be very similar to what we had on order. She was busy when I called, and I didn’t think she would bother to take a look. Several minutes later, I received a phone call from my wife, telling me she had walked down the street and was talking to the owner of a Ford dealership (the same gentleman previously mentioned) – stating he was waiting for me to get back and take a test drive in the Bronco I had spotted. I was almost back home at the time I received that call.

I drove up to where the Outer Banks was parked in my ‘92 Eddie Bauer Bronco, and my wife immediately pointed out to the dealership owner my rear license plate frame was from his dealership (where I had previously had my EB Bronco serviced). So, after exchanging a few pleasantries, I jumped in the Outer Banks and zipped off for a quick test drive. I must say, I was quite impressed. At this point, I had only driven 4-door Broncos, all with soft-tops, and all with 2.7 V-6 engines. This was my first experience driving a 2-door, hard top, and an I-4. After looking around the interior, it didn’t take long to quickly realize that outside of the sasquatch package, this Bronco was equipped with all the options I had ordered (plus a few more).

While I was taking my test drive, my wife, thinking there was a possibility we could have a shot at getting this vehicle, turned on the charm, started working all the angles, and twisting the dealer’s arm.

I returned, and the dealership owner immediately asked me what I thought of the vehicle. I was wearing my best poker face, and told him his Bronco was almost exactly what I had on order. I explained my order was currently with the local Ford dealer in town (which was less than 5 miles from my house). I said when I placed my order on-line, the system defaulted to the local dealership, which was just convenient given it’s proximity to where I lived. He seemed to totally understand. This dealer lives in the same city I currently live in, and explained he just was driving my neighbor home after my neighbor had dropped off his vehicle for service at his lot (apparently my neighbor is a very good customer).

Now it’s time to cut to the chase. I asked him what he wanted for this Bronco (I had not yet looked at the window sticker). He quickly led with the “availability” speech (he’s got plenty of salesman-game left in him, lol), and said he was hoping to get an additional $10K over MSRP due to limited availability – BUT, since I had a purchasing history with his dealership – he would let it go for MSRP. Thinking back to another B6G member who recently posted he waited 16 months for his Bronco to go from order to production, and still didn’t have it yet… it took about a nanosecond to extend my hand and say “I think we have a deal”.

The dealer told me he only had this particular vehicle on his lot for 2 weeks (1600 miles were already on the odo) and Ford is requiring him to keep his demo vehicles on the lot for 6 months or 6K miles on the odo before he can sell them – BUT, he was going to contact Ford to see if he could deliver the vehicle sooner than 6 months since I already had an existing order in for the same trim level and options.

I already had the dealer’s business card in my wallet (from our earlier chance meeting) which he was happy to see, and asked me to e-mail him my order information. He said he would get back to me the following day after speaking to Ford. At that point, I figured I would have to wait 5.5 months to take delivery – which was a heck of a lot shorter span of time than my order was going to take. As for the missing sasquatch features on this vehicle… I figured I could add those options later.

So, after the dealer drives away… my wife and I start asking ourselves… what are the chances:

• We previously met this dealer and his wife at a local restaurant and had a conversation about my EB Bronco, his dealership, and the sales staff we had previously worked with;
  • That I had to take my wife’s mother to a doctor’s appointment on that particular day, at a time of day when the dealer, by happenstance, was in my neighborhood – and at a time of day when I’m typically not out in front of my residence;
  • I looked opposite of the direction I was going to travel, and a good distance further down the street than I would normally look when pulling out of my driveway, only to see NEARLY the exact same Bronco I already had on order - parked at my neighbor’s house; AND
  • My wife walks down the street and strikes up a conversation with the owner of the dealership moments before he is about to drive off (and likely would have been LONG GONE by the time I returned home).
There were just too many pieces of a HUGE puzzle falling into place to make this story come together as it did. I would not have believed it had I not been living it.

So, the following morning I looked in our e-mail inbox, and saw the dealership owner has sent an e-mail asking if I could come to his lot to take possession on Sunday. I was SHOCKED! How fast could I type YES! I never thought it would happen this quick, let alone at all. I’m not entirely sure I’m supposed to be getting this vehicle (or that perhaps something was misunderstood between Ford and the dealership) – BUT, I’m not asking any questions either! When opportunity knocks, you charge thru the door, right?

My wife and I showed-up at the dealership right at opening on Sunday. Shortly after locating our salesman, we are approached by the GM… who, after introducing himself, tells us how pissed everyone was that the owner had decided to sell the Bronco to us at MSRP, with no ADM. Then he laughed, and said it was our gain! Damn right! As an aside, my wife and I had been at a Ford dealership in a nearby city two weeks earlier, and were told by that dealership’s GM they had just sold a ’21 FE to a professional athlete with a $100K ADM. The only added fee we were hit with was a tinted window charge – as the dealership owner had the windows tinted off-site upon delivery at his dealership. That was it. No complaints!

By coincidence, the day after we took delivery, my order status was updated – assigning a VIN.

We haven’t been able to drive the Outer Banks too terribly much since delivery (it’s been a little over a week). But, it’s been a heck of a lot of fun thus far. We took it up the CA central coast this past weekend, and it seemed every town we drove thru was having a classic car show. More show quality old woodies and vintage pick-up trucks than we could count… and many eyes cast back our direction, fixed on the unicorn we were driving… a new 2-door hard-top Bronco.

It’s still hard to believe how this all fell together…

2.3L 2-Door Carbonized Grey Outer Banks; Modular Front Bumper; Lux Package; Roof Rails; and Leather/Vinyl Seats.
Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

WOW! Great story and Congratulations! You should share the dealerships name and give them a stellar review. What are you going to do with your current reservsation?

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its amazing how pieces seem to fall into place sometimes. Congrats on the Bronco. Now the question remains, what to do with the Bronco you have ordered and is now scheduled to be built??

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco File this under the category - What are the chances? 20211031_144333

First, I’m a “lurker” here at B6G… I read a lot, and remark very infrequently. What follows is a story of several highly improbable events which led to a ‘21 Bronco in my driveway.

So, my Bronco reservation was made a while ago; my order had been converted; and I was reasonably certain I would take delivery of a new Bronco sometime in a millennium beginning with the number “2”. At least, that was my hope.

About 8 or 9 months ago, the wife and I were out for breakfast at a local café. Due to CoVID, dining was outside. A couple drove up in a new Ford SUV (an Edge as I recall), and took a seat at the table next to us. We struck up a conversation about the car they drove up in, as well as my 92 Eddie Bauer Bronco which was parked nearby. As it turns out, this couple owns the Ford dealership in the city we had just moved from about 18 months earlier (about a 30-minute drive from where we currently live). We had previously purchased several new and used vehicles from his dealership, but never met him before (having only dealt with his staff).

Fast forward to a little over a week ago. October 28, I was tasked with transporting one of my in-laws to a medical appointment. As I started to pull out of my driveway, I glanced to my right – and spied a 2021 carbonized grey 2-door Outer Banks Bronco 2.0 hard-top parked in a neighbor’s driveway, about 5 houses down the street. Outside of clearly NOT being a sasquatch package, it appeared to largely be what I had on order from Ford. So, I turned left – and proceeded to take my in-law to her medical appointment.

Shortly after leaving my house, I called my wife, who was at home at the time, and asked her to walk down the driveway and look to her right to see a Bronco which appeared to be very similar to what we had on order. She was busy when I called, and I didn’t think she would bother to take a look. Several minutes later, I received a phone call from my wife, telling me she had walked down the street and was talking to the owner of a Ford dealership (the same gentleman previously mentioned) – stating he was waiting for me to get back and take a test drive in the Bronco I had spotted. I was almost back home at the time I received that call.

I drove up to where the Outer Banks was parked in my ‘92 Eddie Bauer Bronco, and my wife immediately pointed out to the dealership owner my rear license plate frame was from his dealership (where I had previously had my EB Bronco serviced). So, after exchanging a few pleasantries, I jumped in the Outer Banks and zipped off for a quick test drive. I must say, I was quite impressed. At this point, I had only driven 4-door Broncos, all with soft-tops, and all with 2.7 V-6 engines. This was my first experience driving a 2-door, hard top, and an I-4. After looking around the interior, it didn’t take long to quickly realize that outside of the sasquatch package, this Bronco was equipped with all the options I had ordered (plus a few more).

While I was taking my test drive, my wife, thinking there was a possibility we could have a shot at getting this vehicle, turned on the charm, started working all the angles, and twisting the dealer’s arm.

I returned, and the dealership owner immediately asked me what I thought of the vehicle. I was wearing my best poker face, and told him his Bronco was almost exactly what I had on order. I explained my order was currently with the local Ford dealer in town (which was less than 5 miles from my house). I said when I placed my order on-line, the system defaulted to the local dealership, which was just convenient given it’s proximity to where I lived. He seemed to totally understand. This dealer lives in the same city I currently live in, and explained he just was driving my neighbor home after my neighbor had dropped off his vehicle for service at his lot (apparently my neighbor is a very good customer).

Now it’s time to cut to the chase. I asked him what he wanted for this Bronco (I had not yet looked at the window sticker). He quickly led with the “availability” speech (he’s got plenty of salesman-game left in him, lol), and said he was hoping to get an additional $10K over MSRP due to limited availability – BUT, since I had a purchasing history with his dealership – he would let it go for MSRP. Thinking back to another B6G member who recently posted he waited 16 months for his Bronco to go from order to production, and still didn’t have it yet… it took about a nanosecond to extend my hand and say “I think we have a deal”.

The dealer told me he only had this particular vehicle on his lot for 2 weeks (1600 miles were already on the odo) and Ford is requiring him to keep his demo vehicles on the lot for 6 months or 6K miles on the odo before he can sell them – BUT, he was going to contact Ford to see if he could deliver the vehicle sooner than 6 months since I already had an existing order in for the same trim level and options.

I already had the dealer’s business card in my wallet (from our earlier chance meeting) which he was happy to see, and asked me to e-mail him my order information. He said he would get back to me the following day after speaking to Ford. At that point, I figured I would have to wait 5.5 months to take delivery – which was a heck of a lot shorter span of time than my order was going to take. As for the missing sasquatch features on this vehicle… I figured I could add those options later.

So, after the dealer drives away… my wife and I start asking ourselves… what are the chances:

• We previously met this dealer and his wife at a local restaurant and had a conversation about my EB Bronco, his dealership, and the sales staff we had previously worked with;
  • That I had to take my wife’s mother to a doctor’s appointment on that particular day, at a time of day when the dealer, by happenstance, was in my neighborhood – and at a time of day when I’m typically not out in front of my residence;
  • I looked opposite of the direction I was going to travel, and a good distance further down the street than I would normally look when pulling out of my driveway, only to see NEARLY the exact same Bronco I already had on order - parked at my neighbor’s house; AND
  • My wife walks down the street and strikes up a conversation with the owner of the dealership moments before he is about to drive off (and likely would have been LONG GONE by the time I returned home).
There were just too many pieces of a HUGE puzzle falling into place to make this story come together as it did. I would not have believed it had I not been living it.

So, the following morning I looked in our e-mail inbox, and saw the dealership owner has sent an e-mail asking if I could come to his lot to take possession on Sunday. I was SHOCKED! How fast could I type YES! I never thought it would happen this quick, let alone at all. I’m not entirely sure I’m supposed to be getting this vehicle (or that perhaps something was misunderstood between Ford and the dealership) – BUT, I’m not asking any questions either! When opportunity knocks, you charge thru the door, right?

My wife and I showed-up at the dealership right at opening on Sunday. Shortly after locating our salesman, we are approached by the GM… who, after introducing himself, tells us how pissed everyone was that the owner had decided to sell the Bronco to us at MSRP, with no ADM. Then he laughed, and said it was our gain! Damn right! As an aside, my wife and I had been at a Ford dealership in a nearby city two weeks earlier, and were told by that dealership’s GM they had just sold a ’21 FE to a professional athlete with a $100K ADM. The only added fee we were hit with was a tinted window charge – as the dealership owner had the windows tinted off-site upon delivery at his dealership. That was it. No complaints!

By coincidence, the day after we took delivery, my order status was updated – assigning a VIN.

We haven’t been able to drive the Outer Banks too terribly much since delivery (it’s been a little over a week). But, it’s been a heck of a lot of fun thus far. We took it up the CA central coast this past weekend, and it seemed every town we drove thru was having a classic car show. More show quality old woodies and vintage pick-up trucks than we could count… and many eyes cast back our direction, fixed on the unicorn we were driving… a new 2-door hard-top Bronco.

It’s still hard to believe how this all fell together…

2.3L 2-Door Carbonized Grey Outer Banks; Modular Front Bumper; Lux Package; Roof Rails; and Leather/Vinyl Seats.
Great story and congratulations.
I will defend the "EB" status is only for the '66 thru'77 Broncos.
I believe you were referring to your gen five unit. It's probably my utter jealousy showing here lol. Dangit I'm still waiting. Enjoy the many adventures you will have my friend.

Sponsored

DrunkingtonBear

Base
First Name
Ryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great story and congratulations.
I will defend the "EB" status is only for the '66 thru'77 Broncos.
I believe you were referring to your gen five unit. It's probably my utter jealousy showing here lol. Dangit I'm still waiting. Enjoy the many adventures you will have my friend.
I think In his statement he was referring to the Eddie Bauer as EB in short hand not early bronco. Since EB Bronco seemed redundant. Cool that old buddy got an easy deal on a 6G though!

JBMontclair

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco - 4 Door - BD - Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe its just a Jersey thing, but a dealership open on Sunday? Maybe CA dealers work Sundays but that struck me as the fishy part of the story.

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe its just a Jersey thing, but a dealership open on Sunday? Maybe CA dealers work Sundays but that struck me as the fishy part of the story.
Most of them are open on Sunday near me, in SE Florida.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If only there was a way to check to see if CA dealerships are open on Sunday's? 🤔
Nah, probably better to just question the credibility of the OP.

Sponsored

Brichan

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great story! The most amazing part to me was the owner of a Ford dealer was driving a Ford Escape. 😂😂

Last edited:
OP
OP
805Bronco

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
WOW! Great story and Congratulations! You should share the dealerships name and give them a stellar review. What are you going to do with your current reservsation?
I purposely did not mention the name of the dealership in case they somehow made a mistake by selling the vehicle to me. I don't want to burn them. I'd just rather err on the side of protecting them (for now).

Insofar as my current reservation is concerned - I was told one of the conditions of the sale was that I cancel my current build. Ford is requiring a copy of the cancellation documentation in the file for the sale. This part of the equation is turning into a bigger headache than I envisioned. The dealership who holds my current order seems unwilling to "officially" cancel my order. I've already made a few calls to Ford; the dealership's GM, and e-mailed my salesman without much success.

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are like the fourth person who I heard got themselves a Bronco while waiting on an order to suddenly get a notification about vin or build date for the one on order. So is that the secret to getting your order built? Just buy a Bronco first?

OP
OP
805Bronco

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think In his statement he was referring to the Eddie Bauer as EB in short hand not early bronco. Since EB Bronco seemed redundant. Cool that old buddy got an easy deal on a 6G though!
100% correct. My '92 is an Eddie Bauer Edition.

Skwatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak, 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is awesome! Everything happens for a reason...glad you got your Bronco!
Sponsored