Sponsored

Final drive ratio - 4.46 or 4.7 better for this build?

OP
OP
KJR50

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I do like the 35 for that ballooning tire/wide stance look.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With a 10 speed automatic, I would option for the 4.7 gear ratio. It would better for the future if larger tires are installed and since it was installed at the factory, there would be no warranty issues versus installing it after the fact.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Rubicons have a 4:10 gear. Guys that run 35s with the 4:10 say it is just right, the off road die hards go with a lower gear (higher number).
Seems like a 4.46 gear would be plenty for most.
You are only considering 1/3rd of the equation by just posting in the rear end gear. That basically tells you nothing without the transfer case gearing and transmission gearing factored in.

Secondly, not many Jeep guys that I have seen call the gearing "just right"....it is marginal, but adequate for some, lacking for others.

That said, if the plan is to upgrade at some point, I would want 4.7 on the Bronco.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the Badlands not automatically come with 4.7 or do you need Sasquatch to get it on that trim?

OP
OP
KJR50

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With a 10 speed automatic, I would option for the 4.7 gear ratio. It would better for the future if larger tires are installed and since it was installed at the factory, there would be no warranty issues versus installing it after the fact.
There’s no doubt 4.7 will work better with 35 or even 37 for mechanical advantage. But as I stated in the OP that this will be daily and fwy cruiser 70-80%, I prefer fuel eco over power/accel.

Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can’t believe they waited until the last moment to drop this bomb on us. If you are going to fix B&P fix EVERYTHING. I hope Ford takes a hit in conversions from this, disappointed and sick of the BS

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I had to choose between too much or too little gear, I would go too much every time. My Jeep is under geared with 3.73’s and I’m running 35’s and it’s fine around town or off-road, but where it really struggles is the highway. If 35’s are 100% in your future, going with the Sasquatch and 4.70’s will give you the best possible all around performance. That is why Ford pairs them together! You need the mechanical advantage from the lower gearing with the larger, heavier tires or you will just end up burning more fuel to get moving.

With improper gearing, you can compensate a bit with a light right foot and a recalibrated speedo, but the transmission will still likely be searching for the proper gear at higher speeds. The 10 speed will be better than my 4 speed in my Jeep, but in my experience, you will get much better gas mileage and drivability with proper gearing.

Also, if you stick with 4.46 with 33’s and upgrade tires later, it won’t be as dramatic as a difference as I have going from 3.73 with 31’s to 35’s. You can usually get away with going up one size and recalibrating the speedo without a major hit to performance.

So, 33’s to 35’s will be fine but not perfect, but 33’s to 37’s I would absolutely recommend a regear.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There’s no doubt 4.7 will work better with 35 or even 37 for mechanical advantage. But as I stated in the OP that this will be daily and fwy cruiser 70-80%, I prefer fuel eco over power/accel.
Understood. As long as the vehicle does not fight to remain in 9th or 10th gear which will impact MPG as well. Much like the Jeep Wrangler, it is a box going down the highway. I have a JLUR and am looking to buy a Bronco in the future (in addtion to the Rubicon) and like the fact that Ford is offering optional ratios in the axles and has a 10 speed transmission.

Ford Bronco Final drive ratio - 4.46 or 4.7 better for this build? 2021_01_20_10_52_37_Window

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been confirmed....4.7 is only available with the Quach. B7P is incorrect!

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been confirmed....4.7 is only available with the Quach. B7P is incorrect!
My experience at the dealer today led me to seek this thread out, glad I found it. 4.46 it is.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the Badlands not automatically come with 4.7 or do you need Sasquatch to get it on that trim?
It does, but if you get the automatic you lose it. To get it back you’ve got to go Sasquatch.

SavvyG

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Whether you stick with 33's or go 35's get the 4.7. I have owned jeeps and trucks with everything from 33's up to 40's. Gears make a difference period and you will still have good highway rpms with the 10 speeds double overdrive. The cost to regear both axles down the road is a waste if you can get it from the factory.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 4.88 gears w/ 35" MT tires on my wrangler but I also have the 4.0 and 4speed auto. Sucks so bad at high altitude that I had to install a turbo just to make it drivable.

I also have 35" MT tires on my F150, 3.5EB, 10-speed and it hauls a**, holds gears and it only has 3.55 gears. Then again, it's the 3.5EB and not the 2.7.

Either way, wife is going with 4.46 on her BL and 33s and if she goes 35s down the road (which I highly doubt as she'll be able to run 98% of the trails any other Bronco can hit and with her 33s) it'll still be good to go.
Sponsored