Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad it all got taken care of!
Sponsored

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Curious why the turbos needed replacing? Did they fail or was the metal in the oil thought to possibly have damaged them?
Since I wasn't paying for it - I didn't ask. Sorry I can't help more. I got the feeling it was standard on a complete engine replacement, but maybe not.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bump for final update.
thanks everyone for your help. especially @flip
Thank you for the update! Just curious what the new engine code is if you don't mind sharing.

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Curious why the turbos needed replacing? Did they fail or was the metal in the oil thought to possibly have damaged them?
Here is the write-up from the service writer at the dealer which explains. disregard my other post. Sorry I can't make it bigger - same thing I tell my girlfriend.

Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost Bronco Service Write U

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is the write-up from the service writer at the dealer which explains. disregard my other post. Sorry I can't make it bigger - same thing I tell my girlfriend.

Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost Bronco Service Write U
Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost Tech Write-u

Sponsored

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost Tech Write-u
Damn, that engine really blew up. i hope the new one is OK and stays that way! After reading all this 6 cylinder woe, glad I went with the 4 cyl manual.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Damn, that engine really blew up. i hope the new one is OK and stays that way! After reading all this 6 cylinder woe, glad I went with the 4 cyl manual.
What size tires are you running on your Bronco?

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What size tires are you running on your Bronco?
The A/T stock tires that come with a BB for now. After I get it and see how they handle, I may make a chaange.

Reactions: jon

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Bronco has an electric oil pump so if it keeps pumping after the engine shuts down then everything with oil is contaminated. That includes the turbos and transmission heat exchanger. Even with a traditional mechanical oil pump, I would insist these things be replaced because it's hard to really know how far metal has traveled.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When a valve drops, metal meets metal and shards of metal break off the cylinder walls, piston, and valve. The intake is pressurized, and the exhaust port is the only real path for that metal to exit the chamber (unless you meet Uncle Rodney through the block and blow a hole in the side of the engine). The turbos are the next stop on the pain express, because those metal shards will absolutely decimate the impeller fins of both turbos.

Sponsored

CanuckJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First, let me say that I absolutely loved my Bronco while I had it. Drove great. Looked awesome, bigger in person, than it looks in pictures. I hope to get it back at some point - or another one, depending. I am super disappointed - and the information and communication from Ford has been 'ok' but not great.

So here's what happened...
Last Thursday, I am driving from Greensboro, NC down to the SC coast - Pawley's Island area. I am on a 2-lane road near Gresham, SC and the engine cuts out - I am coasting, now power. I get it pulled over. I'm thinking it is a computer glitch issue, maybe somehow I get it stopped, cycle the power and I will be good to go. I've got warning lights all over the place - engine, battery, auto-off etc. etc. It won't re-start. Plenty of auxiliary power for radio, lights etc. Starter is working fine, but won't re-fire.

I call Ford roadside and they tow it to Conway Ford in Conway, SC. On Friday afternoon, the service advisor at Conway calls with the bad news. They dropped the oil pan and found a bunch of metal in the oil. THE ENGINE AND TURBOS NEED TO BE COMPLETELY REPLACED. Pretty crushing - to wait 16months for a vehicle and have that happen in the first 1000mi.

Given the parts situation - Conway has not been able to give me a repair timeline yet. I am awaiting that information - before I decide if I want Ford to buy it back and send me a new one - which is what I think they should've offered to do from the jump.

Ford Customer service has put me in a rental for the time being.
I don't feel like I am getting the level of service that a failure of this sort should demand - but everyone has been friendly and at least somewhat helpful.

If someone in Ford Production or Ford Engine Plant reads this and wants to help - please contact me. [email protected]

UPDATES:

10/28/21 - Dealer says they expect the new motor to be 'released' in mid November. Their biggest concern is finding the "one time use" parts, more so than the actual failed part.

11/4//21: Conway Ford reports that they have all the needed parts and are simply awaiting the engine itself - which is expected to be 'released' sometime between 11/15 and 11/22. Communication and coordination between the dealer, ford customer service and myself has been really good. Despite the initial frustration, I am pleasantly surprised so far. Will update further as I know more.

11/12: Ford Dealer called and said they should have the new engine by 11/18. They then called on 11/17 and said they had it and had a couple other cars to finish up and they would start on it.

11/22: dealer called today to tell me it was ready for pickup. I plan to go and pick it up tomorrow.

overall: coordination between Ford and the dealer and myself has been excellent, despite my initial frustration/fears. While I don’t yet have it back as I write this - I’m pretty impressed with how things have gone and especially the timeline. All things considered.

I have not yet closed the case with Ford corporate - in terms of financial remediation. I’ll report back when that is done.

FINAL UPDATE (1/22/22):
Apologies for the delay.
I picked my Bronco up on 11/23/21 and haven’t had any issues since. Ford reimbursed me for the 4 weeks of a rental and extended my warranty to 5yr/100k miles. You have to ask for these. Very important you get connected with a Ford customer service rep early on.

1/25/22: Service repair write-up posted

if anyone sees this and experiences the same or similar problem, feel free to reach out - there are some tips I’m happy to share.
Thanks for the concise description of what happened, mine just failed yesterday and I’m just starting the bad date now. Mine has around 2500 miles on it, very sad.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I wasn't paying for it - I didn't ask. Sorry I can't help more. I got the feeling it was standard on a complete engine replacement, but maybe not.
If the valves shattered due to brittleness, the debris would exit with the exhaust and be aspirated by the exhaust side of the turbo, where it would shred the blades.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the concise description of what happened, mine just failed yesterday and I’m just starting the bad date now. Mine has around 2500 miles on it, very sad.
Shame the Nano wasn’t built in Canada eh? Can you Imagine a Coyote V8 under your Broncos hood? I wonder if Canadian engine plants have better quality assurance protocols in place than tLima Ohio plant.

I learned about the Canadian plants today after reading about the supply issues they are currently experiencing. I hope you get yours back in premo condition and FoMoCo comes through with financial reimbursements and extended warranties.

Currently, FoMoCo operates two engine plants in Canada, both located in Windsor, Ontario – the Ford Windsor Engine Plant, which builds the 6.8L Triton engine used in the Ford E-Series cutaway utility vehicle, and the Ford Essex Engine Plant, which builds the 5.0L Coyote V8.
Sponsored