daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I needed to do something with all those mis-matched Grey roof panels. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the Paint thing or the Line-x. I finally decided that the time was NOW... and I'm glad to have finally made my choice.

I kinda decided (maybe a poor kinda decision), that I wanted to go with the Line-x Ultra, because it goes on almost like paint, and it can be mixed to within a shade of most paint codes. So, off I go to Line-x of El Cajon (San Diego), as they are the only Certified "Ultra" installer in the San Diego area. After a long discussion with the Sales Manager (Scott), I am advised that the Ultra might not be the finish that I want. He mentions that the finish goes on thin, and it doesn't have a perfect record on some of the most flexible parts, like fender flares... and that the Ultra price would add about $700 extra to the price, in a standard black, plus an additional $350 or so, if it was a color match. He suggested either their Premium or Standard finish! I told him that I don't want my Bronco to look like a truck bed!!!

Well, now I wasn't shure what to do, as the finish texture and color are different on each of these two remaining options: 1) with a Premium finish (and a fine-tip on the spray), the product is not completely smooth, it looks like a knock-down that you might see on drywall and some stucco finishes; however, it dries as a glossy black (it can also be color matched to your paint code); and 2) with a Standard finish (and a fine-tip on the spray), the product has "fine" irregularities (kinda looks like sandpaper); however it dries as a Satin black, maybe a shade darker than the matte finish on the door handles (I've included a door handle in my photos, for your comparison).

Well, this was the first Bronco that they have seen in their shop. I decided to go with the Standard spray, and the finished color is a beautiful Satin Black. The color is a GREAT match to my RTR wheels and the remaining black trim.

I know that you're wanting to know, so here's what I paid, in California dollars: They took it all apart, including 4-roof panels, 4-fender flares, and the four side trim panels that you can see coated in my photos... and they replaced everything, on delivery back to me for $1,700+... he job looks fantastic... my wife and I are both thrilled with how close the match is to our other trim parts... and we can't believe this was so inexpensive to have done.

Now this extra little bit was not actually quoted, but just to help make sense: A Premium finish is about $350 more than the Standard finish... and a color change to Premium is about another $350! The Ultra adds about $400 to the Premium, and a color change to the Ultra adds about another $350. I also received two quotes for Paint, in the color of my choice, to include prep, primer, color, and clear... and both prices were about $2,400 (welcome to California)!!!

If you're anywhere near Southern California, call Line-x of El cajon... ask for Scott!

x-01.jpg

x-02.jpg

x-03.jpg

x-04.jpg

x-05.jpg

x-06.jpg
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, I needed to do something with all those mis-matched Grey roof panels. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the Paint thing or the Line-x. I finally decided that the time was NOW... and I'm glad to have finally made my choice.

I kinda decided (maybe a poor kinda decision), that I wanted to go with the Line-x Ultra, because it goes on almost like paint, and it can be mixed to within a shade of most paint codes. So, off I go to Line-x of El Cajon (San Diego), as they are the only Certified "Ultra" installer in the San Diego area. After a long discussion with the Sales Manager (Scott), I am advised that the Ultra might not be the finish that I want. He mentions that the finish goes on thin, and it doesn't have a perfect record on some of the most flexible parts, like fender flares... and that the Ultra price would add about $700 extra to the price, in a standard black, plus an additional $350 or so, if it was a color match. He suggested either their Premium or Standard finish! I told him that I don't want my Bronco to look like a truck bed!!!

Well, now I wasn't shure what to do, as the finish texture and color are different on each of these two remaining options: 1) with a Premium finish (and a fine-tip on the spray), the product is not completely smooth, it looks like a knock-down that you might see on drywall and some stucco finishes; however, it dries as a glossy black (it can also be color matched to your paint code); and 2) with a Standard finish (and a fine-tip on the spray), the product has "fine" irregularities (kinda looks like sandpaper); however it dries as a Satin black, maybe a shade darker than the matte finish on the door handles (I've included a door handle in my photos, for your comparison).

Well, this was the first Bronco that they have seen in their shop. I decided to go with the Standard spray, and the finished color is a beautiful Satin Black. The color is a GREAT match to my RTR wheels and the remaining black trim.

I know that you're wanting to know, so here's what I paid, in California dollars: They took it all apart, including 4-roof panels, 4-fender flares, and the four side trim panels that you can see coated in my photos... and they replaced everything, on delivery back to me for $1,700+... he job looks fantastic... my wife and I are both thrilled with how close the match is to our other trim parts... and we can't believe this was so inexpensive to have done.

Now this extra little bit was not actually quoted, but just to help make sense: A Premium finish is about $350 more than the Standard finish... and a color change to Premium is about another $350! The Ultra adds about $400 to the Premium, and a color change to the Ultra adds about another $350. I also received two quotes for Paint, in the color of my choice, to include prep, primer, color, and clear... and both prices were about $2,400 (welcome to California)!!!

If you're anywhere near Southern California, call Line-x of El cajon... ask for Scott!

Ford Bronco Finally... LINE-X ULTRA sprayed MIC top, fender flares, door handles x-06

Ford Bronco Finally... LINE-X ULTRA sprayed MIC top, fender flares, door handles x-06

Looks good! Reminds me of the grey on our F150 Raptor.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t see grey at all…..I do see a really nice textured black.
Looks great!

The Bronc

Badlands
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t see grey at all…..I do see a really nice textured black.
Looks great!
That is impressive looking. I would be very pleased based on the pictures! Thank you for sharing.

Sponsored

Bryced15

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really like the looks of this! My biggest question on something like this is the wash-ability of it. Will dirt get stuck in the crevices? Will it shred a wash mitt? Looking forward to your report back on the livability of it!

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Came out great man, would love to know how it holds up in the long run. Nicely done man! 🍻

OP
OP
acetdeucy

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really like the looks of this! My biggest question on something like this is the wash-ability of it. Will dirt get stuck in the crevices? Will it shred a wash mitt? Looking forward to your report back on the livability of it!
HAHAHA... I'll never know. My washing consists of driving through the Brushless car Wash. I'm too old for that "by hand" stuff.

Yeah, I think that the sandpaper-ish finish might catch most Linty kinda towels or gloves, but I won't ever know. I know this Bronco is a clever and unique vehicle... but it is also a TRUCK. This is the way I will treat it for three or four years, then I will pay someone to clean it up, before I sell it.

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In applying Line-x Ultra - To so many different materials and surfaces :

** Did you have to prep each one differently?

I cant imagine Line-x Ultra, forms a chemical bond to each one of those materials.

It would be interesting to understand what materials are a chemical bond, and which are mechanical.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks much better...I bet many of us will be going this route when Ford denies our warranty claims for their lousey tops.