Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know this is always a "fun" topic on this message board but I came upon this video from Doug DeMuro that he posted two days ago and thought it holds a lot of water. In case you don't follow Doug, his focus is on car reviews where he evaluates new cars as well as older, unique cars. I've always found his reviews pragmatic and interesting. Anyways, here's some solid advice for why you should finance your car vs. pay in cash (for most scenarios). *I have zero affiliation with Doug and am not trying to drive traffic to his channel.

*You can fast-forward to 4:50 in the video which is when he goes into specifics.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
*grabs popcorn*

Not sure I would consider this a general bronco topic. Strikes me more as a troll post given OP knows 2 groups never agree on this topic!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Credit is dirt cheap, I'm taking advantage of it. It's also my only option, because my current Bronco fund would only buy half a base.

I was watching his video on why he bought the new Defender. He mentioned not being able to afford a certain car and I thought that was odd, he has to be filthy rich off that channel.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

*grabs popcorn*

Not sure I would consider this a general bronco topic. Strikes me more as a troll post given OP knows 2 groups never agree on this topic!
👆THIS.

You can share mine...
Ford Bronco Finance vs. Cash? cdfb37178eaff896a8858ccd43aa0de4

However, the big equation is the time value of money. If financing rates are lower than investment rates, then I'll finance. If not, cash will get you further.

Sponsored

RustySeatbelt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was watching his video on why he bought the new Defender. He mentioned not being able to afford a certain car and I thought that was odd, he has to be filthy rich off that channel.
He goes into this in some videos. Yes, he has made quite a bit of money off his channel, but he doesn't spend that money freely. He is pretty wise with his finances and frugal when it comes to vehicles he uses as a daily driver. I believe he typically targets less than $50k. He does have some high dollar purchases, but again, those are not vehicles he goes into with an expectation of high depreciation.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What he says makes sense as long as the market is doing well.
It makes sense if the market acts as it historically has acted, particularly in the last 50 years. You just need an average or a little below average return for this to make sense, and if your horizon is longer, it has always made sense. Take the nearly free money....and keep your cash invested 100% in equities.

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

He nails it. I'm an accountant, and it's easy: credit unions offering 2% for up to 60 months, while even basically invested you'll earn 3x that.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know this is always a "fun" topic on this message board but I came upon this video from Doug DeMuro that he posted two days ago and thought it holds a lot of water. In case you don't follow Doug, his focus is on car reviews where he evaluates new cars as well as older, unique cars. I've always found his reviews pragmatic and interesting. Anyways, here's some solid advice for why you should finance your car vs. pay in cash (for most scenarios). *I have zero affiliation with Doug and am not trying to drive traffic to his channel.

*You can fast-forward to 4:50 in the video which is when he goes into specifics.

Great video!
Anyone else think of George McFly when they watch Doug’s videos?

Sponsored

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Everyone likes to think their decisions are the right ones so they tend to argue a "side". But when it comes to financial decisions, everyone has a different money situation and risk tolerance.

I understand the math but every time someone tries to explain why people should borrow to invest, I have to admit that I don't think many people have the right circumstances to follow through with that plan. And usually these people don't mention the things that could go wrong.

Admittedly I would probably have more money if I were more of a risk taker.

OP
OP
Taco_Sexual

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Everyone likes to think their decisions are the right ones so they tend to argue a "side". But when it comes to financial decisions, everyone has a different money situation and risk tolerance.

I understand the math but every time someone tries to explain why people should borrow to invest, I have to admit that I don't think many people have the right circumstances to follow through with that plan. And usually these people don't mention the things that could go wrong.

Admittedly I would probably have more money if I were more of a risk taker.
I agree. Financial competency has to play into the decision. Not everyone knows how to throw their money into an index fund or invest it through other means. Nonetheless, I like talking money/finance which is why I shared the video. When I was in my 20's I wish I had been smarter with my money.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not even watching the video, but I'm telling you to finance. An average person with average credit should be able to get a 5 year loan for a good interest rate. The average market return over the last 50 years is like 10%. If you can get 5% interest rate on a vehicle loan, you're better suited to finance you entire 60k vehicle and dump the extra cash in the market. I'm talking zero down, 100% finance. Let a bank's money float your car note so YOUR money can make returns in the market. If you can't get a better interest rate than 8-9% then maybe explore paying cash.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

hell... you might earn that by sticking the cash in your mattress in the next few years.
Far better if you have a used truck! Paid 21k for mine (used) 10 years ago. Just sold it for 13. Edmonds says 15! But it's a friend.... Wish I had 2!
Sponsored