Sponsored

Fire Extinguisher Mounted Pics - Post Em!

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was all about that element extinguisher until I saw some fire fighter rip on it on here. I recall he had some valid point but can’t find the post. How we feeling about conventional vs element? Fortunately I’ve never had to use one but I wonder how much help a 2.5lb extinguisher would even be. I’d likely go 5lb and hope I never needed it. The space and shelf life of the element is appealing though.
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was all about that element extinguisher until I saw some fire fighter rip on it on here. I recall he had some valid point but can’t find the post. How we feeling about conventional vs element? Fortunately I’ve never had to use one but I wonder how much help a 2.5lb extinguisher would even be. I’d likely go 5lb and hope I never needed it. The space and shelf life of the element is appealing though.
That was @B Miller in this post, who also posted this video...

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was @B Miller in this post, who also posted this video...

Yeppers, that's me. There's lots of options out there. I use dry chemical at work and know it's effective. Here's a run down of sizes that I use:

On the fire engine: 20 pound ABC
In my home: 5 pound ABC
In my car: 2.5 pound ABC

I'm not really ripping on Element. I just don't use it. The testing I've seen have been on very small and controlled fires where you can get nice and close. When you have a vehicle fire, it's a desperate time and I want a proven weapon. Keep your distance and shoot the dry chemical. Getting my arm and hand that close to a REAL car fire is not an option.

Keep in mind, I'm speaking for myself where I'm miles off road in the Oregon wilderness. The car may be a total loss no matter how big the fire is, but I don't want to start a brush fire.

Here's a video from a channel I follow where he had this issue. Looks like he had a 1.5 pound dry chemical that was not enough. Good example of what can happen and a real car fire. Start at 10:57 in the video.

Last edited:

TimboSlice

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a two door, and I attached my fire extinguisher to the JCR rear window molle
9466DC76-A688-4A69-84FA-FF502F7F365D.jpeg
14421D5A-FED5-41C0-A0D7-B50334A12FC9.jpeg
panel with a quick fist attachment.
Where did you get that window Molle grid? Thanks in advanced

Timbo

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mounted mine on roll bar, 2 door
11CED57F-9429-4D0F-89FE-51DC05424AF9.jpeg
Sorry for the strange question, but how quick/easy is it to remove the extinguisher from the bag in this setup?

Cant quite tell but there's probably an upper velcro strap slipped between the speaker and sports bar, and you can't slip the extinguisher up unless the roof is off.

Yeppers, that's me. There's lots of options out there. I use dry chemical at work and know it's effective. Here's a run down of sizes that I use:

On the fire engine: 20 pound ABC
In my home: 5 pound ABC
In my car: 2.5 pound ABC

I'm not really ripping on Element. I just don't use it. The testing I've seen have been on very small and controlled fires where you can get nice and close. When you have a vehicle fire, it's a desperate time and I want a proven weapon. Keep your distance and shoot the dry chemical. Getting my arm and hand that close to a REAL car fire is not an option.

Keep in mind, I'm speaking for myself where I'm miles off road in the Oregon wilderness. The car may be a total loss no matter how big the fire is, but I don't want to start a brush fire.

Here's a video from a channel I follow where he had this issue. Looks like he had a 1.5 pound dry chemical that was not enough. Good example of what can happen and a real car fire. Start at 10:57 in the video.

I think the video you showed is a fairly representative example of how a car fire really works. You have expressed the same concerns that a pair of local friends had who are fire fighters and track-rats also said. You might keep some of the fire at bay with an element, but you aren't putting out a fire with it in real-world usage unless you're very fortunate and the fire is an in-cabin source instead of burning fluids.

Because of the shelf-life and tight packaging of an element, it would be great to have one stored somewhere very close to the driver, but the bread and butter to put out an actual engine-bay fire is going to be a dry-chemical extinguisher with proper reach. Whenever Bronco actually happens, i'll likely bite the bullet on an element, but it in no way would be my primary extinguisher but something to throw in the engine bay during a fire to buy time while you get the proper extinguisher.

Stilbukn

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '13 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a two door, and I attached my fire extinguisher to the JCR rear window molle
9466DC76-A688-4A69-84FA-FF502F7F365D.jpeg
14421D5A-FED5-41C0-A0D7-B50334A12FC9.jpeg
panel with a quick fist attachment.
I'm curious if your rear rubber mat has a picture on the passenger rear underside indicating a cutout spot for a fire extinguisher. My same mat for the four door has the dotted outline showing where to cut the mat to accommodate what I assume is a bracket for a fire extinguisher. I haven't seen anything from Ford dealing with a factory mount though.

rear cargo mat underside.PNG

zilstershiner

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler, 2007 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry for the strange question, but how quick/easy is it to remove the extinguisher from the bag in this setup?

Cant quite tell but there's probably an upper velcro strap slipped between the speaker and sports bar, and you can't slip the extinguisher up unless the roof is off.
You are right, I did run the upper strap between the speaker pod. I tested after install though, you can still remove the extinguisher from the holder with the roof on. Just need to angle it slightly as it comes out, the holder isn’t stiff so it allows for some movement

Just a heads up, that looks like a recalled Kidde extinguisher. Here’s a link to see if yours is affected: https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/support/product-alerts/recall-kidde-fire-extinguisher/
Thanks, I’ll look into that

Last edited:

Sponsored

JcrOffroad

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
+ 1 for the mOaR dOoR, eh @Tricky Dick? :sneaky:

I’m curious if anyones bolted anything to the rear roll bar, where those two exposed holes are. Seems like a logical spot.

Ford Bronco Fire Extinguisher Mounted Pics - Post Em! 20220302_224747951_iOS
We were looking at making a mount for these threaded holes. We stopped when we noticed our Badlands didn’t have those provisions but our wildtrak did.

roofone2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We were looking at making a mount for these threaded holes. We stopped when we noticed our Badlands didn’t have those provisions but our wildtrak did.
My BL has those threaded holes. Believe it's a 2022+ thing.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I helped out a Wrangler that caught on fire in front of my shop once. I think it was a yj or tj. It took something like 3 5 pounders and one 10 pounder. Then the fire department put an oversized garden hose on it for 5 minutes. Keep that in mind when you’re looking at these 2 lb bottles.

They’re better than nothing, but a pair of cable pliers to cut the battery terminal is quicker in an electrical fire and sand or oil absorbent can sometimes do it too.

Just my $0.02

edit: I’d get a pair of these.

Ford Bronco Fire Extinguisher Mounted Pics - Post Em! 0CC1F317-ADB2-4E0B-9D1A-4E9A883FC0B2

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My quick release came in so I started designing an under seat bracket to mount it to. Hope to have it wrapped up today.

Since I saw these posts back to back, I have to ask, @JcrOffroad why are the round holes not lined up with the molle grid? I like my table but this always bugs me.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My BL has those threaded holes. Believe it's a 2022+ thing.
My late 2021 Badlands has them (11/12/21 blend date), so it isn’t just a 2022+ thing. Maybe it was one of the undocumented Job 2 changes implemented in late 2021, when the factory rolled in the Hard Top Prep Kit for the people changing their orders from hard tops to soft tops to get quicker deliveries? 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Fire Extinguisher Mounted Pics - Post Em! 3367EFE2-4E05-4AE8-96F3-68E6A7D55B42
Sponsored