Sponsored

first 1000 mile factory oil change? worth it?

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
just hit 1000 miles and i remember reading somewhere it might be a good idea to change early to get the factory "grit" out of the engine.

Any truth to this lore? 2.7 btw.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a highly debated topic.

My opinion?? In general... there is no such thing as too many oil changesā€”although your wallet may hate you after awhile.

Personally I do the first oil change after the break-in period. Which for the Bronco is 1000 miles. After that I do the next one at 4000 miles. And after that I follow the normal cadence (every ~5000 miles or so depending on how hard I'm driving it).

Overboost

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I build engines for a living; I always do my first oil change early.

You will get many other answers ranging from ā€˜you waited too longā€™ to ā€˜donā€™t touch it until the Ford oil life monitor says soā€™.

Sponsored
OP
OP

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
That's a highly debated topic.

My opinion?? In general... there is no such thing as too many oil changesā€”although your wallet may hate you after awhile.

Personally I do the first oil change after the break-in period. Which for the Bronco is 1000 miles. After that I do the next one at 4000 miles. And after that I follow the normal cadence (every ~5000 miles or so depending on how hard I'm driving it).
thats what i thought. I can see its a highly debated topic. I remember reading some graphic stuff of people describing finding nasty stuff after their first 1k miles.

I want to keep the engine going to 200k if possible so i just want to know if its debunked or there is some real experience behind it

OP
OP

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I build engines for a living; I always do my first oil change early.

You will get many other answers ranging from ā€˜you waited too longā€™ to ā€˜donā€™t touch it until the Ford oil life monitor says soā€™.
can i ask why you do them early?

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I changed mine at 1200 (2.7) Had 4 metal flakes in the filter and maybe some stuff that looked like crud? Good time to add a new drain plug that can handle a hose attachment with flow control. I just did it for peace of mind.

OP
OP

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I changed mine at 1200 (2.7) Had 4 metal flakes in the filter and maybe some stuff that looked like crud? Good time to add a new drain plug that can handle a hose attachment with flow control. I just did it for peace of mind.
ohhh link to that stuff? I will replace all that

BigTex22

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4WD, 2021 BMW 430i Conv
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I donā€™t see any harm in doing them early, but my Bronco has 3,500 miles and Iā€™m waiting until the indicator tells me to take it in for a change. Iā€™ve done this with every car Iā€™ve owned (which I tend to hold onto for 10+ years) and have never had an issue. I figure theyā€™d tell us in the manual if they wanted us to bring it in sooner - after all, selling services is where the profit is!

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Overboost

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
can i ask why you do them early?
A few reasons: there is always additional contamination from break-in, internal parts all have a cleanliness spec (some level of contamination is allowed) so that first change gives an opportunity to flush out anything that is in the oil or laying in the bottom of the pan. I also cut open my oil filter and check for debris to see if anything concerning is going on inside.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Will do the first oil change at 5000 on my 2.7

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2006 BMW (non-turbo) I ordered it new, had 3 miles on the odometer. First oil change was at 17,640 miles per BMW's CBS system. 33 oil total changes, lifetime OCI average is 12,424 miles. Engine just turned 16 years old and 417,000 miles last month (not a typo). I drive the car hard. Still runs like a dog stung by a yellow jacket.
On the flip side, BMW N62 motors with faulty valve stem guide seals are most likely a result of those long oil change intervals. I believe they even updated those intervals to a shorter distance due to multiple lawsuits.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Smaller displacement, higher revving, turbo charged engines are harder on oil in my opinion

I personally did mine at 1000 miles. I like running a full synthetic.6 months or 7500 miles for changes. Iā€™ve gotten 300k out of several engines. Do what makes sense for you. Your going to get a thousand different opinions.

Now when I build an engine thatā€™s a different animal. I tend to use a different oil for break in, depending on the platform / engine family.
Sponsored