Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Gosh, that's a beautiful Bronco. Thank you for sharing your adventure.
Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Native Yooper here. BEST THREAD EVER. Been to most of these places, including Isle Royale. I love driving M-26 and Brockway Mountain Drive. Missing da UP now. :(

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Native Yooper here. BEST THREAD EVER. Been to most of these places, including Isle Royale. I love driving M-26 and Brockway Mountain Drive. Missing da UP now. :(
I don't think my head and heart ever left after this trip. We're definitely going back. It's a magical place, and there's not many other places I've been where the people are so genuinely happy and grateful that you're there.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think my head and heart ever left after this trip. We're definitely going back. It's a magical place, and there's not many other places I've been where the people are so genuinely happy and grateful that you're there.
I forgot to say, I love the Miami (FL) 1990 sign. I've taken that picture before. And I played some hockey in Dee Stadium as a kid.

Don't forget to do some Copper Mine tours.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/copper+mine+tour/@47.0534337,-89.1842637,9.03z/data=!4m2!2m1!6e1

I think you ate some pasties, but eat more.

Visit Lake of the Clouds in the Porkies.

Check out some waterfalls, obviously.

See Copper Peak (right down the road from where I grew up).

Oh, and take a drive up there in the winter. :) Do some skiing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I forgot to say, I love the Miami (FL) 1990 sign. I've taken that picture before. And I played some hockey in Dee Stadium as a kid.

Don't forget to do some Copper Mine tours.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/copper+mine+tour/@47.0534337,-89.1842637,9.03z/data=!4m2!2m1!6e1

I think you ate some pasties, but eat more.

Visit Lake of the Clouds in the Porkies.

Check out some waterfalls, obviously.

See Copper Peak (right down the road from where I grew up).

Oh, and take a drive up there in the winter. :) Do some skiing.
Great suggestions, thank you. We did go take a peek at Mount Bohemia while we were there, that's probably out of our league but I would like to get back up there in the fall and the wintertime!

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1988 Michigan Tech graduate - Geophysical Engineering.

Agreed, best thread on this site!

My wife and I live in Ohio, but own 15 acres beginning right at the end of US41 (between Mud Lake and Lake Lilly including the beaver dam leading into Lake Fanny Hoe). We never seem to make it up there anymore, but the pictures sure do remind me.

Played some hockey at The Dee, and golfed at the Mountain Lodge. Honeymooned with our snowmobiles in the Keweenaw and the Porkies (Lake of the Clouds), all pulled with our new 1995 Bronco.

I realize that it may not be socially acceptable to say so any more, but it really does not get any better than Copper Country Crusing in a Suburban full of college friends and a kegger in the back. Just not sure how we all lived to tell the stories.

Last time up we hit as many waterfalls as we could between Copper Harbor MI and Bayfield WI. Can not recommend this enough.

If they ever build my wife's Bronco, this will have to be on the top of our list...

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale Red Bronco

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1988 Michigan Tech graduate - Geophysical Engineering.

Agreed, best thread on this site!

My wife and I live in Ohio, but own 15 acres beginning right at the end of US41 (between Mud Lake and Lake Lilly including the beaver dam leading into Lake Fanny Hoe). We never seem to make it up there anymore, but the pictures sure do remind me.

Played some hockey at The Dee, and golfed at the Mountain Lodge. Honeymooned with our snowmobiles in the Keweenaw and the Porkies (Lake of the Clouds), all pulled with our new 1995 Bronco.

I realize that it may not be socially acceptable to say so any more, but it really does not get any better than Copper Country Crusing in a Suburban full of college friends and a kegger in the back. Just not sure how we all lived to tell the stories.

Last time up we hit as many waterfalls as we could between Copper Harbor MI and Bayfield WI. Can not recommend this enough.

If they ever build my wife's Bronco, this will have to be on the top of our list...

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale Red Bronco
Wow that's amazing, you gotta go back! We spent a bunch of time at Fort Wilkins, walked through the Estivant Pines, Manganese Falls, and took the Mandan Road out past 41 to several of the spots out there. Amazing area to own some land!

Sponsored

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Awesome and inspiring trip @BroncoRick! I'm not familiar with the UP, but after seeing your trip post, this has now become top 3 on our list for adventures.

As an aside, I live only 3 miles off US 41 in GA... I've driven it for a way both north and south... including down in the Miami area. Now, the northern end is on the "must do". :)

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome and inspiring trip @BroncoRick! I'm not familiar with the UP, but after seeing your trip post, this has now become top 3 on our list for adventures.

As an aside, I live only 3 miles off US 41 in GA... I've driven it for a way both north and south... including down in the Miami area. Now, the northern end is on the "must do". :)
That's great! There's a whole lot of fun on the other end of 41!

PatsBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco 16 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Born and raised in Marquette. I miss it every day.

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you say Hi to the SXSBlog.com guys?

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Subaru 77 Cutlass Supreme
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The next morning in Houghton, we dove into the local Finnish culture with some Pannukakku at Suomi.

Houghton has a wonderful river-side downtown; we strolled around for a while at the shops and then down to the riverfront, where we happened upon the birthplace of pro hockey:

By now, we were starting to see signs of our northernmost destination on this trip, Isle Royale National Park, which is in northern Lake Superior. There's a seaplane dock here in the canal which can get you to Isle Royale:

But the most conventional travel there happens by ferry. This is also the dock for the Ranger III, which is the National Park Service's largest piece of moving equipment. It can take passengers and gear (including kayaks, canoes, and motorized fishing boats). The NPS operates this ferry and it is a 6-hour one-way trip from Houghton through the canal, and across Lake Superior, to Isle Royale. We're not taking this ferry, but it was worth the stop to chat with the Rangers.

View attachment 367148

Love the UP! Lived in Houghton and Calumet for two years! So remote. Great snow in the winter and summers are epic with Superior right there. Glad you made the trip! Most people have no idea.
Sponsored