First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Subaru 77 Cutlass Supreme
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had mine up there at Brockway Mountain end of October last year. My daughter is a student at Michigan Tech in Houghton....

Brockway-mtn-01.jpg

Brockway-mtn-03.jpg
Love Houghton! Great college town if you don't mind the cold. Didn't go to college there, but was a ski bum for a few years ;)
Sponsored

Brandon1282

First Edition
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRD, 2021 GMC 1500 AT4 3.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Before reaching Houghton and the Keweenaw Peninsula, we had to make our way through the Huron Mountains, so a stop for dinner in Marquette Harbor was in order. By this time in the trip, I was beginning to realize that if we were doing this in my old Jeep, we would have been exhausted beyond belief and my back would have been screaming. Not so in the Bronco--the interior is an awesome place to be on a long road trip, the suspension takes all the harshness out of a long drive. And it was occurring to me that the best unspoken feature of this vehicle is the range. I was getting 400+ miles per tank and now upwards of 430+.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 2.50.44 PM.png

Marquette has a pretty nice downtown with a nice view of the harbor. We sat down for food at the Vierling. More fresh catch.

52215188434_d4b794c8ce_o.jpg

52213905562_c8eb000f75_o.jpg

After dinner, a walk down to the harbor leads you to the old, and gigantic, iron ore dock. Apparently, there is one of these still in operation in Michigan, somewhere.

52215395530_e46c4acce7_o.jpg

After that, off through the Huron Mountains and into the Keweenaw Peninsula, to Houghton for the night, on the banks of the Portage Canal.
Greetings from #1640.
Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale B85F515E-BF8C-4E7F-877B-CA87042FC2E0

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like a great road trip and adventure with your rig!

MN_Yeti

Badlands
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Fusion, 08 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Th
This was the first big road trip in the Bronco since picking it up in June...about 1800 miles up through the Mitten, across the Mackinac Strait to the U.P., and back down through Wisconsin across 10 days. This wasn't a wheeling trip for me (although we did hit a bunch of access roads), but rather a chance to really break in the Bronco on a long road trip, and get a fair amount of hiking and MTB done. What I found was that the Bronco is much more at home as a touring vehicle than I ever thought possible.

We loaded up the night before leaving, with an assortment of bikes and a full cargo area. Access to the tailgate was going to be restricted for this trip due to the bikes, but I didn't find this to be as much of a problem as it would have been in my Jeeps. Access to the cargo via the rear doors was workable for the duration of the trip. With 4 people in the cabin, however, we were definitely pressing the limits of payload on this vehicle. We began to set off northbound for the initial 10 hour trip through Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale B85F515E-BF8C-4E7F-877B-CA87042FC2E0

We stopped just south of the Mackinac Strait, and woke up next morning to cross over into the U.P. via the Mackinac Bridge. A pause just north of the Strait showed Lake Huron to the left, and Lake Michigan to the right.

A stop at the nearby Father Marquette memorial, affords a more elevated view of the Strait and Mackinac Bridge.

We headed west into the U.P. on US 2, along the beaches and dunes of the northern Lake Michigan coastline. Hungry for breakfast, a stop for Pasties was in order--a treat that was a historical favorite of loggers and miners in the U.P. If I recall correctly, more money was made mining copper in the U.P., than in the entire California Gold Rush. The logging of timber in the U.P. provided a primary raw material that went into the earliest vehicles built by Ford, and Henry Ford owned lots of land up here for that purpose.

After the energy boost, it was time to hop back on US 2 and continue west.
Thanks for this awesome preview. This is definitely on our short list. I grew up in Detroit, but Michigan is blessed with some of the most scenic places in the country throughout the state. Can't wait to make it up that way!

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We took our up to the Yoop for Memorial Day weekend. The Bronco was happy up there.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are some good MTB trails that we did up in Copper Harbor, from the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. It is a good MTB destination. Stuck to mostly XC trails since this was a family trip, but you can take the downhill runs straight down near the shore and then catch a shuttle back up to the top. Plenty for everyone with all levels of difficulty up to multi-foot rock and ledge drops. Some of the MTB trails here were originally cut as hiking trails all the way back in the 1930's. Pretty good place to ride and we just scratched the surface.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome trip. Absolutely beautiful country. Been up there once and it’s on my bucket list to makes it up there again.
You’re right. Up until the 1900s, copper country in the UP produced north of 70% of the copper in the world.
Part of my grandfather’s line emigrated from Norway and worked in the copper mines. Still have distant relatives that are in Houghton.

MikeOBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aprilia V4 Tuono
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got most of the way through this thread and suddenly I realized I was singing the words to "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald ". Good storytelling apparently 😀

Bjj101

Outer Banks
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX, 2020 Lexus RX450
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks like a wonderful trip! Wifey and I have been discussing taking a trip to the UP from IL as well. Beautiful pictures!