Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The factory trainer was at my local dealership yesterday driving a pre-production 2dr Badlands SAS. We're west coast and no deliveries yet. I wanted to see how easy or difficult it was for my wife to get into a Sasquatch model, since the Bronco will be my daily driver and we will tow it behind the motorhome. Damn, it was too tall. I had high hopes since I had duplicated the expected ride height by putting my Jeep on the RV's leveling blocks to the expected door sill height of the Bronco, and she got in fine. I didn't take a tape measure, darn, but it appears the Bronco seat height relative to the door sill height is higher than the Jeep. Also, she would have needed a grab handle on the A pillar to help pull herself up, and the handle on the outside of the dash wasn't in a position to help.

I did LOVE the looks of the Bronco in person, it is better than in any of the pictures. Also, the 35" tires look better, bigger, and more in correct proportion to the vehicle in person than in any of the pictures. One of the things I checked out was how easy would it be to get to the sway bar links. I've been doing serious off roading for many many years, and on Jeeps we have quick disconnect links on the sway bar (aftermarket), and they are relatively easy to get to. The Bronco sway bar is behind the front axle. I turned the wheel to see the link, and while you can get to it, you'll have to lay on the ground and reach into the wheel well to do it. Looks like it can be done, but not nearly as convenient as on a Jeep, where you just kneel and it's right in front of you. Of course, for exploring and dirt roads and mild wheeling it's not too big an issue, if you have lockers, but it is good to know when considering whether to move up to a Badlands or FE that has the factory sway bar disconnect.

I do plenty of hardcore 4wheeling, but I have a rock buggy for that, so the Bronco, like my Jeeps, will be for driving, exploring, and occasional trail running. With lockers front and rear I really don't need 35" tires, but I do want the F&R lockers and the M210 front axle. Was deliberating between the BaseSAS or a non-SAS Badlands, the two biggest considerations being entry height for my wife and the factory sway bar disconnect. I was really hoping she could comfortable get in the SAS, because the BaseSAS is such a tremendous value price wise, which is what I ordered. I'd figure out the sway bar thing. But, now it looks like I'm going to have to spring for a Badlands without SAS, and hope the 1.4" lower ride height will be OK. What's the worse that can happen? I just keep the yellow Jeep and sell two of them rather than all three. :giggle:

Ford Bronco First Live View BL SAS and SAS too Tall for My Wife and Some Impressions 210123628_531592601326547_5906415287352288289_n

Ford Bronco First Live View BL SAS and SAS too Tall for My Wife and Some Impressions 206868573_201393021806202_2153150229317330332_n

Ford Bronco First Live View BL SAS and SAS too Tall for My Wife and Some Impressions 20210706_180714
Sponsored

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So much to like about SAS package, why not get the basesquatch and use the savings to buy some drop down steps from rockslide engineering or the likes
Hadn't seen that product before, could be a great idea! I'll have to contact them to see if they have plans to make them for the Bronco. I'm assuming there is a switch to shut them off, wouldn't want them to automatically open on a trail where there is no clearance for them to open fully. Also have to see what they consider a moderate trail, or it needs an additional skid plate for another 600 bucks. Not cheap.

Thing for me is that I don't need the 35" tires, I would be happy with 33's. Before my wife tried it, one thing I was considering is to get the BaseSAS and put 33's on it, but it only saves .8" and now I know that isn't enough. Besides spending the extra $$, I'd be very happy with a BL with 33's and the factory sway bar disconnect. My trail Jeep now (XJ) has 33's and I spank Wranglers with 35's and 37's, it works just fine.

Sponsored

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hadn't seen that product before, could be a great idea! I'll have to contact them to see if they have plans to make them for the Bronco. I'm assuming there is a switch to shut them off, wouldn't want them to automatically open on a trail where there is no clearance for them to open fully. Also have to see what they consider a moderate trail, or it needs an additional skid plate for another 600 bucks. Not cheap.

Thing for me is that I don't need the 35" tires, I would be happy with 33's. Before my wife tried it, one thing I was considering is to get the BaseSAS and put 33's on it, but it only saves .8" and now I know that isn't enough. Besides spending the extra $$, I'd be very happy with a BL with 33's and the factory sway bar disconnect. My trail Jeep now (XJ) has 33's and I spank Wranglers with 35's and 37's, it works just fine.
There is a disable switch they mount by the seat for running trails and for door off days. I have first hand knowledge that they are planning these steps for Bronco

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a disable switch they mount by the seat for running trails and for door off days. I have first hand knowledge that they are planning these steps for Bronco
They also now have a doors-off kit so you can open them with a button.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And Ford can’t sell two doors with soft tops because?

Sponsored

Waiting for 4th Bronco

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250, Mercedes C350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The factory trainer was at my local dealership yesterday driving a pre-production 2dr Badlands SAS. We're west coast and no deliveries yet. I wanted to see how easy or difficult it was for my wife to get into a Sasquatch model, since the Bronco will be my daily driver and we will tow it behind the motorhome. Damn, it was too tall. I had high hopes since I had duplicated the expected ride height by putting my Jeep on the RV's leveling blocks to the expected door sill height of the Bronco, and she got in fine. I didn't take a tape measure, darn, but it appears the Bronco seat height relative to the door sill height is higher than the Jeep. Also, she would have needed a grab handle on the A pillar to help pull herself up, and the handle on the outside of the dash wasn't in a position to help.

I did LOVE the looks of the Bronco in person, it is better than in any of the pictures. Also, the 35" tires look better, bigger, and more in correct proportion to the vehicle in person than in any of the pictures. One of the things I checked out was how easy would it be to get to the sway bar links. I've been doing serious off roading for many many years, and on Jeeps we have quick disconnect links on the sway bar (aftermarket), and they are relatively easy to get to. The Bronco sway bar is behind the front axle. I turned the wheel to see the link, and while you can get to it, you'll have to lay on the ground and reach into the wheel well to do it. Looks like it can be done, but not nearly as convenient as on a Jeep, where you just kneel and it's right in front of you. Of course, for exploring and dirt roads and mild wheeling it's not too big an issue, if you have lockers, but it is good to know when considering whether to move up to a Badlands or FE that has the factory sway bar disconnect.

I do plenty of hardcore 4wheeling, but I have a rock buggy for that, so the Bronco, like my Jeeps, will be for driving, exploring, and occasional trail running. With lockers front and rear I really don't need 35" tires, but I do want the F&R lockers and the M210 front axle. Was deliberating between the BaseSAS or a non-SAS Badlands, the two biggest considerations being entry height for my wife and the factory sway bar disconnect. I was really hoping she could comfortable get in the SAS, because the BaseSAS is such a tremendous value price wise, which is what I ordered. I'd figure out the sway bar thing. But, now it looks like I'm going to have to spring for a Badlands without SAS, and hope the 1.4" lower ride height will be OK. What's the worse that can happen? I just keep the yellow Jeep and sell two of them rather than all three. :giggle:

Ford Bronco First Live View BL SAS and SAS too Tall for My Wife and Some Impressions 20210706_180714

I think you HAVE to get a Base with the manual to be able to tow it. That is the only model with a neutral position for the transfer case (as I understand it). SAS should be okay.

Waiting for 4th Bronco

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250, Mercedes C350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm getting a Base non-squatch. Whenever I actually get to see one, I'll know what to do about the tires. I am thinking 32" BFG ATs on the factory steelies will be just fine and I won't have to do any lift or other mods.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So much to like about SAS package, why not get the basesquatch and use the savings to buy some drop down steps from rockslide engineering or the likes
Nice! Thanks for posting I had not seen those...fantastic!

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One of the things I checked out was how easy would it be to get to the sway bar links. I've been doing serious off roading for many many years, and on Jeeps we have quick disconnect links on the sway bar (aftermarket), and they are relatively easy to get to. The Bronco sway bar is behind the front axle. I turned the wheel to see the link, and while you can get to it, you'll have to lay on the ground and reach into the wheel well to do it. Looks like it can be done, but not nearly as convenient as on a Jeep, where you just kneel and it's right in front of you. Of course, for exploring and dirt roads and mild wheeling it's not too big an issue, if you have lockers, but it is good to know when considering whether to move up to a Badlands or FE that has the factory sway bar disconnect.
This likely just my ignorance in what you were commenting on, but why doy ou want to access the sway bar from u Der the vehicle? It can be disconnect Ted from the cab even while under load. No need to go crawling around.

Again, this is likely just my ignorance.

As far as height goes, get your Badlands Sasquatch and add an aftermarket step or slider with step built in.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think you HAVE to get a Base with the manual to be able to tow it. That is the only model with a neutral position for the transfer case (as I understand it). SAS should be okay.
All Broncos (not Sport) have a neutral tow in the transfer case.
Sponsored