Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Man am I the only one who actually wants the soft top? I'm sure the production version will be much nicer than this. I live in San Diego and plan on running top open quite a bit, and don't want the added weight and cost of a hard-top.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think people who are new to "soft" and "hard" tops are going to learn real quickly how inconvenient a hard top is. I definitely regret the hard top on my jeep.
I regretted mine as well. I removed that big clunky clamshell within 2 weeks of purchase and never put it back on.
Please enlighten me. I am new to the whole scene so I am trying to soak up as much information as possible.

enro

Black Diamond
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Please enlighten me. I am new to the whole scene so I am trying to soak up as much information as possible.
I think it all goes to personal preference, storage availability, and assistance. I have heard that the Bronco tops will be much lighter than the Jeeps... so this may make me consider a hard top for my Bronco.

Based on my past experience with my Jeep.. it was a PITA because I rarely put the top on. First, I was not able to remove the clam shell by myself. Secondly, I do not have a garage so storing the clam shell on the side of my house was not ideal.

You could store the driver/passenger panels in the back of the Jeep, but you didn't want to leave them like this long-term. They would get stolen.

When talking about the 2-Door... I am assuming that it comes with two separate pieces for the driver and passenger side and one larger one (clam shell) for the back. **this has been debated that the clam shell may come in different parts and breakdown further** Which would be awesome.

In a Jeep... you can run this 4 ways...1) all 3 pieces on / full top. 2) all 3 pieces off / no top. 3) back clam shell on and passenger/driver open. 4) clam shell off and passenger/driver covered.

*If you have somewhere to store all the parts you remove, then a hard top might be a great choice.
*If you don't mind having access to the back of your Bronco should you take the "clam shell" off and store it at your house, then a hard top might be a great choice. It makes it difficult for multiple shopping trips and grocery shopping in 116 degree weather for me.

Soft tops fold half way, up, or down... and all you need to do to move from one stage to another is pull over and make the adjustments. It does take up some of your cargo being folded down.

Again, this is for a Jeep. I am not sure what the situation will be for the Broncos.

I am struggling with choosing a top. The hard tops look better, no doubt. But I think about what works best for me and my situation.

Last edited:

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great post enro. Helps us rookies out who have never owned a Bronco or Wrangler before. Thanks.

I wish I knew how many pieces the hard top is going to be in and how much it weighs though so I could make a choice between that or soft top.

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think people who are new to "soft" and "hard" tops are going to learn real quickly how inconvenient a hard top is. I definitely regret the hard top on my jeep.
Can you use a roof rack or rails with a soft top? I assume not, but lemme know if I’m wrong.

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you use a roof rack or rails with a soft top? I assume not, but lemme know if I’m wrong.
There are cross rails for a topless Jeep that fit under the soft top. So you'd have to lower or flip back the top to use them. But that's it as far as I'm aware.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it all goes to personal preference, storage availability, and assistance. I have heard that the Bronco tops will be much lighter than the Jeeps... so this may make me consider a hard top for my Bronco.

Based on my past experience with my Jeep.. it was a PITA because I rarely put the top on. First, I was not able to remove the clam shell by myself. Secondly, I do not have a garage so storing the clam shell on the side of my house was not ideal.

You could store the driver/passenger panels in the back of the Jeep, but you didn't want to leave them like this long-term. They would get stolen.

When talking about the 2-Door... I am assuming that it comes with two separate pieces for the driver and passenger side and one larger one (clam shell) for the back. **this has been debated that the clam shell may come in different parts and breakdown further** Which would be awesome.

In a Jeep... you can run this 4 ways...1) all 3 pieces on / full top. 2) all 3 pieces off / no top. 3) back clam shell on and passenger/driver open. 4) clam shell off and passenger/driver covered.

*If you have somewhere to store all the parts you remove, then a hard top might be a great choice.
*If you don't mind having access to the back of your Bronco should you take the "clam shell" off and store it at your house, then a hard top might be a great choice. It makes it difficult for multiple shopping trips and grocery shopping in 116 degree weather for me.

Soft tops fold half way, up, or down... and all you need to do to move from one stage to another is pull over and make the adjustments. It does take up some of your cargo being folded down.

Again, this is for a Jeep. I am not sure what the situation will be for the Broncos.

I am struggling with choosing a top. The hard tops look better, no doubt. But I think about what works best for me and my situation.
That is great insight. Thanks!

jhtolatc

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just FYI, these were options that someone found for tops on the Ford site. For me I think 2dr hard top and Bimini might be ok if Bimini can work if caught in the rain.

ABAAQ Top - Mesh Shade Top
ABAAR Top - Bimini Soft Top
ABAAS Top - Bimini Soft Top and Canvas Soft Top
ABAAT Top - Bimini Soft Top and Mesh Shade Top
ABAAU Top - Canvas Soft Top and Mesh Shade Top
ABAAV Top - Bimini Soft Top, Canvas Soft Top and Mesh Shade Top
I’ll be watching these developments with great interest... ?

Re the video, I would not read too much into it. The top was likely not folded back correctly, and could very well still be in prototype form.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Definitely doesn't look the greatest. I plan on getting the hardtop, though I can see some benefits for a softop.

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not my cup of tea. I plan on getting the hard top but if an aftermarket company makes a half top in tan, I would jump on that like a duck on a june bug! I think having a tan top with the antimatter blue would look awesome!

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll be watching these developments with great interest... ?

Re the video, I would not read too much into it. The top was likely not folded back correctly, and could very well still be in prototype form.
Even Senator Palpatine loves the Bronco!

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The whole idea of this vehicle for me, is to drive around topless. You cant store the back clam shell in the vehicle. So that means your truck is getting wet if you get caught somewhere in the rain.

With a soft top, you have everything on board so you can open or close based on the temp or weather. I agree, it's never going to look as good as a hard top.

I'm getting a 2door and hope to get something like a sunrider top. Best of both worlds. But honestly. I'd prefer a nice soft top.

If ford did a sky touch automatic top, I'd probably get that.

Screenshot_20200720-203045_Google.jpg

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The whole idea of this vehicle for me, is to drive around topless. You cant store the back clam shell in the vehicle. So that means your truck is getting wet if you get caught somewhere in the rain.

With a soft top, you have everything on board so you can open or close based on the temp or weather. I agree, it's never going to look as good as a hard top.

I'm getting a 2door and hope to get something like a sunrider top. Best of both worlds. But honestly. I'd prefer a nice soft top.

If ford did a sky touch automatic top, I'd probably get that.

Screenshot_20200720-203045_Google.jpg
Considering that on the 4-door you can remove the roof over the front and back seats, a Bestop Sunrider (or something like it) would be huge and awesome on a Bronco
Sponsored