First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good morning Bronco6g! Wondering next steps and what others have found. Is it worth the hassle?

We took delivery of our white, 2-door, Wildtrak on 11/3. We have just under 700 miles as of 12/27.

Like most, I tend to take my cars/trucks for service when getting an oil change. I stick with Royal Purple or another synthetic for pretty much everything I drive. A couple of questions:

In sports cars, I always get first oil change at 1,000 miles, keep a sample of the oil, and have it sent off for analysis - water, metal particles, etc... so I can learn if there is anything funky going on I need to fix. Good idea for the Bronco? I am running a 2.7L. Other question - in this engine, is synthetic still the way to go?

I am not a hard core engine guy, and use all my vehicles for normal city driving - nothing crazy - no track days and very little to zero trails (function of where I live).

Thanks!
Sponsored

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why at 1000 miles? The manual an shops techs say follow the schedule maintenance time lines. To each their own. So, go for it. It's your vehicle.

OP
OP

75Maui

Wildtrak
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I guess the thinking is get any junk inside your engine out early from initial break in, and spot potential problems - like water - from the get go. Its amazing what the labs can tell you from an oil sample that can save you headache's down the road.

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did the 1st oil change on my 2.7 at 1375 miles. I was shooting for 1000 but just didnā€™t have the time until 1375. I always do the first change on my vehicles at 1000 miles, after the break in, just for the piece of mind and added insurance for the long term. After that I typically follow the vehicleā€™s oil life monitor except for my Corvette where I do it every 5000 miles. I think I will do the Bronco at 5000 miles as well, regardless of the oil life monitor.

I also installed the Ronin plug which will eliminate the old faithful like geyser that unleashes when the factory oil plug is pulled.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1000 miles for me. Can't hurt.
However be prepared for the "my dealer said" replies. :eek: šŸ¤£

Sponsored

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1400 for me. No Ragrets. šŸ¤™šŸ½.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The factory oil is a synthetic blend and has a high molly count. With all the other oil threads, it's a never-ending back and forth, but I have yet to see any explanation as to why Ford recommends a blend and not full synthetic.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most say the oil doesn't need to be changed on modern engines until the oil life monitor pops up (+/-5k miles) but I'm from the old school...for piece of mind I'll be changing mine no more than 1,500 miles in and will be sending a sample for analysis.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't be concerned about water in your oil, unless all you do is drive 2 minutes to the mall and back.
Engine coolant or combustion by-products would be more a concern, as would excessive amounts of bearing material or aluminum.
I'd suggest if you're planning on going full synthetic, wait until you have 6 or 8000 miles on the engine first.

JDoc92

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1000 miles for me. Can't hurt.
However be prepared for the "my dealer said" replies. :eek: šŸ¤£
My brother in law went to get his oil changed at 1000 miles on his Ridgeline (ok I also have a Ridgeline) and his dealer said Honda puts in a ā€œspecial oilā€ and actually recommended NOT changing the oil so soonšŸ˜‚. Iā€™m at slightly over 900 miles on the Bronco. Decisions decisionsā€¦

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My brother in law went to get his oil changed at 1000 miles on his Ridgeline (ok I also have a Ridgeline) and his dealer said Honda puts in a ā€œspecial oilā€ and actually recommended NOT changing the oil so soonšŸ˜‚. Iā€™m at slightly over 900 miles on the Bronco. Decisions decisionsā€¦
It looks like the factory oil may have higher Molly in it than most. So one option may be to go ahead and change the oil, but put factory oil back in.

Folks that are dumping out the factor oil right away and replacing it with a full synthetic or whatever, is a bit of an unknown.

But to swap out motorcraft for motorcraft, would be a great compromise.

(In other words, I don't think anyone is adding extra additives from the factory)
Sponsored