First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 1995 EB bronco and 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Decided to change oil early, 1270 miles on my Bronco 2.7. I was surprised how black the oil was, but no issues. Not a very difficult task, used motorcraft 5 30 as recommended. The filter location is a blessing!
Sponsored

Fowler

Base
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Factory oil is dark it has pigment in it for black light to check for oil leaks, nothing to worry about. I changed mine at 3k which was overkill. Now I will go 5k on motor craft oil.

OP
OP

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i'm planning on 5K also.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I
i'm planning on 5K also.
It's a good thing you're changing it yourself then! 8000km and had the dealer change mine.... $91
No reason to change the oil at 5k miles unless you're driving it in extreme conditions while max towing at 100mph daily. Lol
But, your dime 🤷🏻
Of course, you'll see comments like mine in the 40 other oil change threads as well! Lol

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just changed mine the other day, installed that Ronin plug so I hope it will be even easier in the future. Got to thinking with the skid plates and now the non-disposable plug going to a dealership or a jiffy-lube would be a nightmare, plus its satisfying to work on your own truck.

Sponsored
OP
OP

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
True! i like doing it myself. ima upgrade drain plug next time as well

Brad Fx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t it also recommended to change it by 6mo?

OP
OP

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
whats that drain plug called?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just changed mine the other day, installed that Ronin plug so I hope it will be even easier in the future. Got to thinking with the skid plates and now the non-disposable plug going to a dealership or a jiffy-lube would be a nightmare, plus its satisfying to work on your own truck.
I installed mine also about 2000 miles ago.
I was surprised that it seemed to fit fairly loosely, can move it some side-to-side. But no indication of leaking, and none so far in the last 2K miles. Definitely looking forward to it vs. getting an oil shower each time.

OP
OP

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The oil definitely comes out fast with the factory setup! made a little mess ha

Sponsored

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

whats that drain plug called?
I am planning on installing the Ronin on mine - currently at 1300mi and am wondering when I should do the first oil change along with sending a sample to Blackstone. Maybe 2000mi?

I supposedly have the updated engine - I have the AB code on my MY22, so *hopefully* I don't need to worry about brittle valves.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We have a Ronin plug. Didi not think it would be needed but that proved my thinking was wrong!!

Looking for a good full synthetic oil for the 2nd change. One that meets the WSS M2C961-A1 spec that Ford calls for is not real easy to find locally.

Interesting that Pennzoil and Mobil 1 do not have this spec. (at least in my searching I did not see it.) Royal Purple, Amsoil OE Advanced, Amsoil XL, Castrol Edge, GTX and Magnatec do meet this spec., as does Motorcraft. ( EDIT: As posted on next page Mobil 1 DOES meet WSS M2C961-A1)

Most likely others that meet the spec. I believe we will stay with Motorcraft to keep it simple.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We have a Ronin plug. Didi not think it would be needed but that proved my thinking was wrong!!

Looking for a good full synthetic oil for the 2nd change. One that meets the WSS M2C961-A1 spec that Ford calls for is not real easy to find locally.

Interesting that Pennzoil and Mobil 1 do not have this spec. (at least in my searching I did not see it.) Royal Purple, Amsoil OE Advanced, Amsoil XL, Castrol Edge, GTX and Magnatec do meet this spec., as does Motorcraft.

Most likely others that meet the spec. I believe we will stay with Motorcraft to keep it simple.

I believe Valvoline full synthetic also meets WSS M2C961-A1. I had planned on running Pennzoil ultra, but after doing some research on the Wrangler 3.6 and finding a guy who got 600,000 miles running Valvoline and then tearing down the engine and showing you how clean the inside of the engine was, pretty sure I'm going to Valvoline.

I used it a long time ago on a motorcycle and it fixed some issues (Not even comparing fruit to fruit here I know) But now that I know Valvoline meets Ford's requirements... That's the direction I'm going to go with every 5K.
Sponsored

Last edited: