First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had thought about that a while back, since we know Ford has patents on a removable roll cage and doors.

I thought it would be cool if the 4 door could replace the rear section of roll cage with an extended-half-cab/roll cage section and the rear doors with dummy panels to convert it into an extended cab, short bed truck. The dummy door panels would help seal off the cab structure but still be opened creating access into extended cab.

The rear seats could either be flipped forward to fit within the extended cab, or removed for interior storage behind driver/passenger seats. The idea for flipping the rear seat forward was, that when needed, the back panel(s) of the cab could be removed (like a Freedom top) and the seats flipped down, allowing for uncovered rear seating. Sort of like the G2-G5 Broncos with rear top removed.

If that were an option... I'd rethink my plans on a 2 door very quickly.
That would be amazing if Ford did something like this. Only thing is I dont think you need dummy doors, since they should be frameless and waterproof. Just maybe a cover needed to protect the interior side if its too cushy.
Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would be amazing if Ford did something like this. Only thing is I dont think you need dummy doors, since they should be frameless and waterproof. Just maybe a cover needed to protect the interior side if its too cushy.
That's what I was originally thinking, but not knowing what the interior of the door would look like, I thought a new door skin sliding onto the existing support frame would allow for a smooth interior surface, or even custom formed surface to help the top seal against.

I also picture the front of the dummy door possibly having a fixed quarter window for improved visibility with top on.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's what I was originally thinking, but not knowing what the interior of the door would look like, I thought a new door skin sliding onto the existing support frame would allow for a smooth interior surface, or even custom formed surface to help the top seal against.

I also picture the front of the dummy door possibly having a fixed quarter window for improved visibility with top on.
Yeah looking at it more in the old leaks has me thinking things get complex at the pillar behind the front door. Maybe with the cage off the corner of the cap replaces that pillar. Then no cage in truck form?
I dont know but we can dream cant we?

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah looking at it more in the old leaks has me thinking things get complex at the pillar behind the front door. Maybe with the cage off the corner of the cap replaces that pillar. Then no cage in truck form?
I dont know but we can dream cant we?
Help me Bucked Off-Road, you're my only hope!
Ford Bronco First pics of 4 Door Bronco with top removed under camo Bronco_Ute

I know it's not right, but I don't know of a better side view to cut and paste.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Help me Bucked Off-Road, you're my only hope!
Ford Bronco First pics of 4 Door Bronco with top removed under camo Bronco_Ute

I know it's not right, but I don't know of a better side view to cut and paste.
Now those are some good proportions, I even like the way the rear haunches look in truck form. That looks like a 5 foot or so bed perfect for stretching out with the tailgate down.
Sponsored