Sponsored

First production aftermarket hard top (RallyTops) delivered and installed - review

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great review. I have a soft top and most of the time I don't notice any more noise than in my sedan. Its nice to know someone is offering at a reasonable price point. This looks good to me. I think with any top you are going to find imperfections if you look close.
Aaaannd... Ford's plan worked!

They now have us thinking four thousand dollars for a plastic top is "reasonable"... 🤪
Sponsored

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I do not get with these hard tops, OEM and after market, is the expense. $4K-$6K ?! They are basically, very similar to a canopy for a truck. The OEM is made of questionable materials.....canopies are typically fiberglass. I look at my Leer truck canopy. These canopies are strong, materials do not break down or fall apart. Paint finish is excellent, seals great, inside is fully carpeted with high quality materials. My current Leer was $3,200.00 for a high end. You can get them as low as $2,200.00 Granted the Bronco top has removeable panels requiring some more seals. The cost of these tops gets me. IMO, Ford should have went with fiberglass (and mfg it the same way toppers do) or an aluminum top. If they had, maybe they would not be having all these issues with the MIC.
I mean I think you really answered your own question. Your thin fiberglass canopy for your truck is about $3200. The OEM top is a thicker multi-layer construction, better glass, a bit of sound deadening, 4 pieces with multiple seals, latches, etc. The MIC top is also OEM and carries an OEM warranty.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What I do not get with these hard tops, OEM and after market, is the expense. $4K-$6K ?! They are basically, very similar to a canopy for a truck. The OEM is made of questionable materials.....canopies are typically fiberglass. I look at my Leer truck canopy. These canopies are strong, materials do not break down or fall apart. Paint finish is excellent, seals great, inside is fully carpeted with high quality materials. My current Leer was $3,200.00 for a high end. You can get them as low as $2,200.00 Granted the Bronco top has removeable panels requiring some more seals. The cost of these tops gets me. IMO, Ford should have went with fiberglass (and mfg it the same way toppers do) or an aluminum top. If they had, maybe they would not be having all these issues with the MIC.
I think that's what they call the 'Bronco Tax'.....Let's face it, if Leer or AME thought they could sell millions of Bronco hard tops like they do truck caps, they would. There's simply not a huge market for them, so pricing is going to be sky high.

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IMO, the ADV top looks very Jeep to me, this top does not.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for taking the step and giving everyone feedback on your experience. From the distance of my laptop to your Bronco, it looks ok. I'd like to see how life with it develops. At least there is an option for those that need a hardtop with OEM not being an option.

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks good. it looks really cool. Dig the back window

I would love a 1 piece top for the 2 door

Only thing off is the interior rear psgr window bottom seal, not straight, but whatever. That wouldn't bug me. I'd be more concerned with water entry and the feeling of secured space inside, which this provides

It's got rails on top, how much weight it support?

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it looks good! Thank you for the review so far.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How does the rear glass latch shut?

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think one thing this design gets right is that back glass. Giving Gen 5 vibes and I like it.
I have to admit I chuckled at this. I think it's one of the worst parts! :ROFLMAO: No offense to you or the OP. I'm glad to see this being reviewed as I'm still figuring out what I want to do for a hard top.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Aaaannd... Ford's plan worked!

They now have us thinking four thousand dollars for a plastic top is "reasonable"... 🤪
What do you expect when you are using Monopoly money to buy it?

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have taken delivery of what is one of the first (if not the first) production aftermarket hard top.

This is a two piece hard top from RallyTops - costs about $4,000

The hard top came delivered in some very poorly constructed wooden crate contraption that took an hour to disassemble and break apart, but honestly it got the job done.

I know a lot of people will be interested so I will try to break down everything as best I can

Craftsmanship: definitely not the best in the industry, ADV will be better, but cost significantly more. It looks fine and functions as you'd expect but up close you can notice a bit of imperfections.

Weight: My fiancé and I were able to install it with no other help, likely approx 200lb

Water seals: I immediately took this to a touchless carwash and was presented with zero leaks

sound: This one is contentious and kind of makes me disappointed to be honest. I prefer data, not subjective ratings and as such I took a decibel reader with me on the highway with my soft top installed and then replicated that same drive with this hard top. in BOTH instances we averaged about 72 dcb readings. This hard top is entirely carpeted on the inside, only has two pieces and yet still was the exact same level of highway noise...
however, an argument can be made that passing semi's and other loud vehicles were heard less dramatically from the back, on account of actual windows vs weird plastic.

It should be noted, however, that with my light bar installed I would average about 78 dcb with the soft top, with the hard top it maintains at approx 72, so there is that added benefit.

Not entirely sure I am going to keep it - for me (and many others I imagine) the main attraction of a hard top is road noise and wind noise. I have about 20 days to decide, so I will contemplate my life choices and monitor the top for any issues

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

68982436748__328287EF-E8D6-4233-84B3-2E009ACD4287.jpg
I'm very interested in this top, and the price point is reasonable. How is it for squeaks and rattles? Overall I'm like the way it looks.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks better than I anticipated. OP...Thanks for posting the review and your thoughts about it.
You comment about the Semi passing on your right is so true. Used to scare the heck out of me with my BL/soft top. Felt like the truck was in my backseat...

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@SamG : looks alright, not sure i love the top being completely smooth, and it doens't look like it plays too nice with roof rails/racks. keep us posted
Sponsored