Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just towed about 2500 lbs with my 2.3 four door manual non sas yesterday - 120 miles or so. Not quite as nice as pulling with a longer wheelbase truck but definitely no issues at all. I also got 16 mpg round trip which I think was pretty good especially considering I've got the southern Ohio/Kentucky hills to deal with. I keep getting the "rapid turn signal flash" on the dash that usually indicates a turn signal is out, but when I check all the lights everything is working fine. Never had an issue with this with my Tacoma. Not sure if it's a fault with factory Ford hitch wiring or what the deal is...
Sponsored

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Where are you driving your RV that there are TOADS behind you???
Either you are joking or aren't a part of the exclusive and honored society that is RV owners lol. A "toad" is slang for a vehicle that is flat-towed (all four wheels on the ground) by an RV.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Either you are joking or aren't a part of the exclusive and honored society that is RV owners lol. A "toad" is slang for a vehicle that is flat-towed (all four wheels on the ground) by an RV.
Well I was trying, but TIL. I thought auto-correct had struck again.

Garrett301

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2021 Bronco Sport, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What's the "trailer brake fault" warning I keep getting while pulling? I used a 4x8 tilt trailer to pick up some remodel stuff and got that message every time I stopped. That was maybe 1000 lbs total with a 4-pin pigtail.
I towed a pontoon boat from Ohio to Maryland a few weeks ago, about 3000lbs combined weight, and likewise had no issues with the Bronco hauling it. However, I did not get the "trailer brake fault" warning you mention, so wondering what may have caused that. Thinking out loud here...could having Sasquatch possibly make any difference on getting the warning or not? My wiring harness (4 pin only) and trailer hitch are from the Ford accessory page.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's the "trailer brake fault" warning I keep getting while pulling? I used a 4x8 tilt trailer to pick up some remodel stuff and got that message every time I stopped. That was maybe 1000 lbs total with a 4-pin pigtail.
Dunno, could be wiring on the trailer or not super great connection between the trailer and vehicle. DM your VIN and I'll look at your VHR to see if there's anything that would help narrow it down.

I assume your trailer turn, stop and park lights were functioning correctly? LED or incandescent bulbs? Ground wire on trailer tight and clean?

Sponsored

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I towed a pontoon boat from Ohio to Maryland a few weeks ago, about 3000lbs combined weight, and likewise had no issues with the Bronco hauling it. However, I did not get the "trailer brake fault" warning you mention, so wondering what may have caused that. Thinking out loud here...could having Sasquatch possibly make any difference on getting the warning or not? My wiring harness (4 pin only) and trailer hitch are from the Ford accessory page.
My F150 would randomly do this as well while towing. My utility trailer is brand new as well and all of the connections and lights were good. Maybe this is the only positive to me running the curt wiring setup on the bronco if the factory setup would've been annoying like my truck.

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Note the picture below. The arrow points to the jack shaft that sticks up and is roughly a foot from the spare. When I turned sharply, it would push the spare into the jack shaft.
Screenshot_20220923-223325_Gallery.jpg

Not all trailers are designed this way. And I have 35 MT's on 0 offset wheels, so my spare sticks out farther than factory.
I really like the red illustration, made me smile for some reason.,

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Dunno, could be wiring on the trailer or not super great connection between the trailer and vehicle. DM your VIN and I'll look at your VHR to see if there's anything that would help narrow it down.

I assume your trailer turn, stop and park lights were functioning correctly? LED or incandescent bulbs? Ground wire on trailer tight and clean?
On the first trailer, yes, yes, and probably. On the second, we'll, it's the in-laws, so probably not, maybe and doubt it lol.

Dm'd the VIN.

Zeddead

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex Ecoboost, Jeep Trailhawk, GMC COE, many VW's.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Note the picture below. The arrow points to the jack shaft that sticks up and is roughly a foot from the spare. When I turned sharply, it would push the spare into the jack shaft.
Screenshot_20220923-223325_Gallery.jpg

Not all trailers are designed this way. And I have 35 MT's on 0 offset wheels, so my spare sticks out farther than factory.
I've been trailering quite a bit and had run into this exact issue initially. Ford offers that ~7" extension hitch, in order to combat this issue. I grew up on a ranch and summered on my uncle's farm, towing constantly, and don't like adding a connection/weak point for towing. I simply swapped the factory hitch for the extended one and I don’t need to drop the spare anymore.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/DT37GR.html

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been trailering quite a bit and had run into this exact issue initially. Ford offers that ~7" extension hitch, in order to combat this issue. I grew up on a ranch and summered on my uncle's farm, towing constantly, and don't like adding a connection/weak point for towing. I simply swapped the factory hitch for the extended one and I don’t need to drop the spare anymore.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/DT37GR.html
How much further does it stick out over the original that came on the truck? It looks like a bit of a shin-banger.

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Trailer jack location needs to be carefully considered when towing with these along with what drop and length drawbar. I've got a 12' single axle Gatormade and after attached to the vehicle, can't open the swing gate because of where the jack mounts to the tongue. At some point I'll have this cut off and find a HD side folder.
Yup. I’m building a 6x12 utility trailer conversion while I wait. Don’t even have a vin yet, and I had a removable tongue jack welded to the frame.

Zeddead

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex Ecoboost, Jeep Trailhawk, GMC COE, many VW's.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much further does it stick out over the original that came on the truck? It looks like a bit of a shin-banger.
It's ~7" Extension. It's just barely recessed from the tire with the tailgate closed. You would think it would be an issue, but it really hasn't been. I drive my Bronco for work, loading and unloading ~5 times a day. I really haven't had any problems, although I do have the cargo drawer & open it constantly.

f3d

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX 2.7 Squatch HT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just towed about 2500 lbs with my 2.3 four door manual non sas yesterday - 120 miles or so. Not quite as nice as pulling with a longer wheelbase truck but definitely no issues at all. I also got 16 mpg round trip which I think was pretty good especially considering I've got the southern Ohio/Kentucky hills to deal with. I keep getting the "rapid turn signal flash" on the dash that usually indicates a turn signal is out, but when I check all the lights everything is working fine. Never had an issue with this with my Tacoma. Not sure if it's a fault with factory Ford hitch wiring or what the deal is...
I was just rewiring my boat trailer. The rapid flashing turn signal will happen from a bad ground on the trailer. Either the 4plug to the trailer itself, or the light on the trailer that’s the same side as the rapid flash.Check those two points first imho.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was just rewiring my boat trailer. The rapid flashing turn signal will happen from a bad ground on the trailer. Either the 4plug to the trailer itself, or the light on the trailer that’s the same side as the rapid flash.Check those two points first imho.
haha yep I forgot I posted this - I did find out that my grounding connection to the trailer body coincidentally came loose right about the same time I got my Bronco. Nothing was wrong with the truck at all I just had to reconnect my ground terminal on the trailer.
Sponsored